Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker upgrade options, options, options
(09-Oct-2015, 10:13)brit Wrote:
(09-Oct-2015, 09:26)teddlesdee Wrote:
(08-Oct-2015, 18:20)wiresandmore Wrote: You have a lot of choices, I strongly recommend you do a home demo if at all possible. Speakers are quite a personal choice and room interaction is also hard to predict.

Try SF Olympicas as per other postings. I also heard (and bought) PMC 20.26's after an exhaustive search of many options. Proac D30R also great too. Moving up the price ladder, I heard the B&W 802 several times, it's great and since it's been replaced you might find good ex-dem deals.

Nice options guys...

Silly, I know, but the old-fashioned 'Boxy' type speakers I am not sure I could live with after the Triangles, and I am certain my other-half would hate them, so PMC and Spendor are sadly out of my list, good that they reportedly are...

Frankly, looks are almost equally important these days (to get them passed the boss!)... otherwise my life will not be worth living, and divorce is way too expensive!  Wink

Many seem to rate the B&W Diamonds, but after reading up, I wonder if they will be to laid back for me given I have got so used to the Triangles...

So far the list looks like:

Wilson Sophia - Someone mentioned Sophia, but wondered about Sabrina? Anyone care to comment?
Kef blades
Magico S?
SF  Olympica II

Of course the next issue is how on earth do you find dealers close enough to audition (and then at home?)...sounds like this is going to take time....

Intrigued by the TADS but access to these I think would be an issue....

What about Martin Logan? Any experience on these?

Hi teddlesdee,

Re the Wilson Sabrina, yes I did try them in my D400 system at home. They are detailed and open, and give a terrific soundstage, but to my ears they had a sharpness in the top end which was a little fatiguing for me - I couldn't relax and fully enjoy the music. I couldn't be sure whether this top end emphasis was speaker related, or room related. I was comparing them with my Wilson-Benesch ACT1s which were, to me, much more relaxing.

As has already been mentioned, there is no substitute for a home demo Smile .

David

As David has already pointed out, if possible, a home demo is a must.

Once at home for me the most significant tweak has always been, by a long stretch, speaker positioning. Once you have lived with the speakers for a good while and breaking period is behind you, it's time to fine tune them in the space of the room. That fine tuning, done with friends whose taste and capacity to appreciate music you trust (in my case also my girlfriend), is what has made the difference between boredom or goosebumps.

I recently attended a demo where a setup almost identical to mine was being shown. The room was extensively and I would say exquisitely treated, still the sound, somehow, was just uninspiring, lacking the presence, spatiality and vividness of mine at home (I suspect the main reason was the speakers being too far into the room where you could barely feel the bass and attack of notes).

Last, personal taste should be the final judge. Never buy according to brand or even rave reviews, get the ones that make you cry of emotion every time you play your favorite cuts! (easier said than done I know!) Smile

ML
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
If your looking for SAM ready speakers, the Gauders I just bought are superb. The look really nice too.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Have offered once before and if you are interested I have D400 and Magico S5 here, think I am not a million miles from you.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
Hi Keith

You have PM turned off so I cannot reply.

Nick
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(13-Oct-2015, 22:24)NickB Wrote: Hi Keith

You have PM turned off so I cannot reply.

Nick

Now changed Nick - Thanks

Keith
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.
I swapped my Martin Logan Montis for the Sasha 2. They are for sale haha! Great sound and integration, just not totally what I was looking for (I had original CLS's for 10 years)
That aside, I've really enjoyed the Sophia (both 2 and 3) and they are probably the best wilson sound per pound.

I've not heard the Sabrina unfortunately, Ken Kessler gushed over them in Hi-Fi news, but that's hardly a surprise.

They are always personal though (as is every other piece of equipment) so demo what you can.

Best of luck!