Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM effects
I am going to listening 200 with B&W 805D and I will present my opiniom soon about effects of SAM on this configuration.
(26-May-2014, 22:33)moreno1973 Wrote: I am going to listening 200 with B&W 805D and I will present my opiniom soon about effects of SAM on this configuration.

Fantastic, look forward to hearing your thoughts on this. The B&W 805D is a stunning looking speaker!

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
HELLO

I just finishegd listening this system:
- Devialet 200
- B&W 805D
- USB cable Audioquest Diamond
- Speaker cable Audioquest Castle Rock
- Toshiba Laptop with Windows7 and Foobar2000 with WASAPI event plug.

Music:
WAV files from ,,Manger Test CD":
- Sonate no.8
- Ghazali
- Pavane

24/96 files from CD ,,Thibault Noally - A Violino solo"
- track 1
- track 2

Room surface: 22 square meters

Sound with SAM on:
- very musical
- very natural
- bass notes are more powerful and better controlled, there are ,,extra" bass sound not existing when listening with SAM off...it seems like our loudspeaker received extra woofer;-). Much better punch!
- no fatigue during listening
- You don't need to use expensive USB (like Diamond) while having SAM on. Compared with 10 Euro USB cable, Diamond USB is better in respect of details and extra sound layers but it is also sometimes too powerful in bass notes. SAM is so good that doesn't need extra bass tones offered by Diamond (IMHO).

SAM changed the sound of 805D. There is no more ,,sourround sound" 3D stereo stage. 805D are now very nice sounding, being more in style of good Sonus Faber Monitors than typical B&W technical sound.

With SAM on music is more refinied. This combination: Devialet 200 (SAM on) + 805D is very musical ensemble. This is a setup for pleasure of listening music.

805D with Devialet with SAM off are sounding very transparent with a bigger soundstage but there is a lack of musicality and lack of fantastic timbres...

Transformation is big...bigger than with 802D with Devialet 250...

SAM is a very good option for owners of high-end monitors.
I tried an 805D vs a few others including 804D a couple of years ago. I was hugely impressed with the 805D and felt it gave little away to it's bigger brother. Coupled with SAM, it could make the case for going for a smaller speaker. This is good news, especially for people like me who have a small home!
I'd love to hear SAM on B&W 805D. I've only heard it on Wilson Sophia 3 so far and the difference for me was night & day. Cant wait for it to come out for B&W CM10.
SAM helped a lot 805D. Personally I don't like them too much because of supernatural surround stage;-)... also bass quallity is not so good. But with SAM on all these problems just diseappered. Really. With SAM 805D are much more tuneful, and bass is really impressive. With SAM 805D are just a joy to hear.

I have Sonus Faber Auditor M which is a tremendous monitor with right setup. Devialet 200 is a perfect one;-). Mids and high tones, timbres are so musical with Auditor M. Bass is also better with Auditor than with 805D (without SAM on).

I just hope that Devialet will prepare SAM for Auditor M.
I have to say that having been living with SAM for the last week or so I really can't emphasis how impressive it is, I have been running the 200 on the Venere 2.5's and have done a few demo's now and everyone is quite astonished at the difference, yes the bass definitely has more control with more impact but in turn that free's up the mid range which really helps bring it into the room, once you turn SAM off everything just sounds a little flat and less defined. I don't know if I said it before but a SAM'd Venere 2.5 definitely outperforms a non SAM's Venere 3.0 which makes it quite interesting.

If I was a speaker manufacturer I would be knocking down Devialet's door to make sure that my speakers were SAM'd asap as I can really see people who are buying a Devialet with speakers now will only choose SAM'd speakers, its the only decision really. I do wonder what the Venere 2.5 profile will sound like with the 3.0's, I wonder if it can do any damage?

For our Devialet/Sonus Faber open day next weekend we will be running the Venere 2.5's with and without SAM if anyone would like to hear the differences.

Cheers,
Paul.
(29-May-2014, 17:17)Paul @ HiFi Lounge Wrote: I have to say that having been living with SAM for the last week or so I really can't emphasis how impressive it is, I have been running the 200 on the Venere 2.5's and have done a few demo's now and everyone is quite astonished at the difference, yes the bass definitely has more control with more impact but in turn that free's up the mid range which really helps bring it into the room, once you turn SAM off everything just sounds a little flat and less defined. I don't know if I said it before but a SAM'd Venere 2.5 definitely outperforms a non SAM's Venere 3.0 which makes it quite interesting.

If I was a speaker manufacturer I would be knocking down Devialet's door to make sure that my speakers were SAM'd asap as I can really see people who are buying a Devialet with speakers now will only choose SAM'd speakers, its the only decision really. I do wonder what the Venere 2.5 profile will sound like with the 3.0's, I wonder if it can do any damage?

For our Devialet/Sonus Faber open day next weekend we will be running the Venere 2.5's with and without SAM if anyone would like to hear the differences.

Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Paul! You raised an interesting question as I have the Venere 3.0 (Devialet 120) and I am also a HiFi novice and in addition not a very patient personBig Grin Will Sam for 2.5 improve 3.0 or is it better to wait until 3.0 is Sam ready? Do I get improvement? Do I risk anything? Anyone?

Best regards
Rusken
Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 - Devialet Phantom
I heard the B&W 805Ds briefly today at my local dealer, driven by a 120.

I have to say I was surprised by just how good the SAM effect was. Wow! Every aspect of the LF performance was improved: extension, dynamics, detail. And the rest of the picture was much better defined too: cleaner and silkier mids, a bigger and clearer soundstage.

Turning SAM off made the whole experience flatter and duller.

I'm not a fan of B&W speakers, but the 805Ds really impressed me with SAM.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(30-May-2014, 19:04)Rusken Wrote:
(29-May-2014, 17:17)Paul @ HiFi Lounge Wrote: I have to say that having been living with SAM for the last week or so I really can't emphasis how impressive it is, I have been running the 200 on the Venere 2.5's and have done a few demo's now and everyone is quite astonished at the difference, yes the bass definitely has more control with more impact but in turn that free's up the mid range which really helps bring it into the room, once you turn SAM off everything just sounds a little flat and less defined. I don't know if I said it before but a SAM'd Venere 2.5 definitely outperforms a non SAM's Venere 3.0 which makes it quite interesting.

Cheers,
Paul.

Hi Paul! You raised an interesting question as I have the Venere 3.0 (Devialet 120) and I am also a HiFi novice and in addition not a very patient personBig Grin Will Sam for 2.5 improve 3.0 or is it better to wait until 3.0 is Sam ready? Do I get improvement? Do I risk anything? Anyone?

Best regards
Rusken

Hello Paul?? Wink

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK