Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM effects
(03-Jun-2014, 21:53)Jwg1749 Wrote: I heard the B&W 805Ds briefly today at my local dealer, driven by a 120.

I have to say I was surprised by just how good the SAM effect was. Wow! Every aspect of the LF performance was improved: extension, dynamics, detail. And the rest of the picture was much better defined too: cleaner and silkier mids, a bigger and clearer soundstage.

Turning SAM off made the whole experience flatter and duller.

I'm not a fan of B&W speakers, but the 805Ds really impressed me with SAM.

Matt

Impressive stuff isn't it? I'm actually wondering if the SAM might not have a bigger impact on bookshelf speakers.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(03-Jun-2014, 22:48)GuillaumeB Wrote: Impressive stuff isn't it? I'm actually wondering if the SAM might not have a bigger impact on bookshelf speakers.

Guillaume

Yes, before today I'd have said SAM might extend the bass of standmounts, but would introduce lots of distortion. Now I'm not so sure ...

This dealer hasn't been a fan of Devialet. He also sells Musical Fidelity and was quite unequivocal last summer, when I was looking for an amp: he told me the MF AMS35i was much more musical than the Devs. (I disagreed, of course.) He's now recanted: he thinks SAM has pulled Devialet ahead of the MF.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(03-Jun-2014, 22:48)GuillaumeB Wrote: Impressive stuff isn't it? I'm actually wondering if the SAM might not have a bigger impact on bookshelf speakers.

Guillaume

I agree, 805D with SAM changed much more than it happened with 802D.

I am very interested in hearing GT1 Devialet Edition with SAM and with Athom speaker cables. I hope to listen this combo in max. two weeks...
(04-Jun-2014, 15:07)moreno1973 Wrote:

Guillaume

I agree, 805D with SAM changed much more than it happened with 802D.

I am very interested in hearing GT1 Devialet Edition with SAM and with Athom speaker cables. I hope to listen this combo in max. two weeks...

I have the Devialet special-edition Atohm GT1s and matching cables on order and have been advised they might arrive this week. I live in Clermont-Ferrand, France. Once I hook them up to my Devialet 200 and burn them in, I'll make some comments on SAM. I already have the SAM file downloaded to the Devialet but, using the tone control and volume, I have set the implementation to zero. (You can apply SAM from 0 to 100 percent.) I love the use of the tone control on the Devialet, as you can quickly determine the effects of SAM with a simple twist of the dial. Cool!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(04-Jun-2014, 17:11)Flashman Wrote: I have the Devialet special-edition Atohm GT1s and matching cables on order and have been advised they might arrive this week. I live in Clermont-Ferrand, France. Once I hook them up to my Devialet 200 and burn them in, I'll make some comments on SAM. I already have the SAM file downloaded to the Devialet but, using the tone control and volume, I have set the implementation to zero. (You can apply SAM from 0 to 100 percent.) I love the use of the tone control on the Devialet, as you can quickly determine the effects of SAM with a simple twist of the dial. Cool!

It sounds as though they're going to remove this function.

Matt

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
London
(04-Jun-2014, 18:51)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(04-Jun-2014, 17:11)Flashman Wrote: I have the Devialet special-edition Atohm GT1s and matching cables on order and have been advised they might arrive this week. I live in Clermont-Ferrand, France. Once I hook them up to my Devialet 200 and burn them in, I'll make some comments on SAM. I already have the SAM file downloaded to the Devialet but, using the tone control and volume, I have set the implementation to zero. (You can apply SAM from 0 to 100 percent.) I love the use of the tone control on the Devialet, as you can quickly determine the effects of SAM with a simple twist of the dial. Cool!

It sounds as though they're going to remove this function.

Matt

Matt, what leads you to believe they might remove the function?
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(04-Jun-2014, 20:02)Flashman Wrote: Matt, what leads you to believe they might remove the function?

I heard it from a friend: not sure where he got it from. And my local (Devialet) dealer told me the same yesterday.

Matt

London
I sent a query to KEF, asking about their view on SAM with respect to some niggling worries that I had regarding what SAM might do to the speaker design life.

This is the reply (I hope KEF are happy with me sharing this), looks like they are fairly positive......

I'm very pleased to hear that you are enjoying the Blades, and thank you for passing back such positive feedback. I've not yet had the chance to hear the new Devialet amplifier models on the Blade. However, I did have the opportunity to heard the Blades driven with two Devialet D-premiers in monoblock mode and I though it worked rather well. I believe that you are one of our first customers to be using the Devialet SAM system with Blades.

The SAM system has an internal numerical model of the Blades built into the amplifier. The amplifier uses this numerical model to adjust the signal that it outputs to the loudspeakers in order to compensate for low frequency roll off and also low frequency distortion. You're right that this essentially means that you get more low bass output from the Blades because they are being driven harder. Using the same internal numerical model, the SAM system predicts the driver movement and also the power sent to each driver. This means that it is able to ensure that the loudspeaker is always operating in a safe region without damage. In my opinion there is no reason for you to stop using the SAM system.
(04-Jun-2014, 20:39)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(04-Jun-2014, 20:02)Flashman Wrote: Matt, what leads you to believe they might remove the function?

I heard it from a friend: not sure where he got it from. And my local (Devialet) dealer told me the same yesterday.

Matt

With the new firmware (7.1.1) you can turn SAM off and on and still adjust it from 0 to 100 percent. Despite rumors to the contrary, Devialet did not remove this feature.
My pair of Magico V2 came back from their SAM visit in Paris today. Devialet picked them up 2 Weeks ago and returned the via a company driver today. They really did do some effort to keep their 100 votes promise. For the interim period they gave me a pair of Athom GT1 special to listen.
I was suprised to hear the SQ from zhe Athom's with SAM. I compared them to my lomg term small speaker favorite Dynaudio Special 25 an they have won by far (I bought a pair for our bedroom now)

Coming back to my first 4h listening expirience with the V2. From a bass point of view it sound now like a V3, however it doesn't have the drawbacks the V3 had vo the V2 sounding less intimate and beeing les musical in the upper mids.

I could not detect any negative side effect. I wil give details over the weekend.

-----
D 800 driving Magico V2
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos