Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM effects
(20-Dec-2016, 16:34)fraserhadden Wrote: Disappointingly, SAM was set to 100%, so it appears to do very little with the Yamahas. Still good value, of course  Big Grin

With your speakers I would expect them to only benefit with music with really deep bass. The graphs show they have minimal group delay to fix, which is what you would expect from a larger sealed box, and good extension without SAM.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
You are entirely right! I played Okkervil River's 'Away' last night and, for the first time, was rewarded with convincingly enhanced bass. Well pleased now.

Fraser
Sam doesn't work well in my system / room combo. I wanted SAM to improve so much and tried so many options but at the end I prefers it switched it to OFF
(23-Dec-2016, 01:00)no32 Wrote: Sam doesn't work well in my system / room combo. I wanted SAM to improve so much and tried so many options but at the end  I prefers it switched it to OFF

So did I : with sam off I get more details and a better sound. It took me two years to stop tweaking sam !
Bruno

Auralic Aries g2.1 / Chord Qutest / CLEARAUDIO Blackmotion - cartridge Clearaudio Virtuoso V2 mm/  /Gryphon Diablo 300 / Blue jeans cable / Apertura Edena Evolution
Same as the two above for me!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(24-Dec-2016, 01:01)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Same as the two above for me!

+1 for me too. Using Harbeth M30.1

SAM seems to make the bass more impactful, but that's it, there's no tangible gains anywhere else for me. I prefer the sound and smoothness without SAM.
(17-Jan-2017, 09:10)jmorrell Wrote: +1 for me too. Using Harbeth M30.1

SAM seems to make the bass more impactful, but that's it, there's no tangible gains anywhere else for me. I prefer the sound and smoothness without SAM.

This is really interesting. I have noticed completely opposite with my Wilson Benesch speakers, especially with Vertex. This is just my subjective observation... But if I set SAM off, I feel that I get just a little bit more mid bass with Vertex, but the bass is not as tuneful anymore. With SAM set on at 0 %, I get slightly less mid bass but I can hear different bass notes more easily. I haven't noticed any differences elsewhere (smoothness, details etc). So for me the SAM affects only positively. Lucky me Smile
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland