Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ELAC Discovery streamer and Disqovery Q music server.
Found this new streamer from ELAC that looks intresting with ROON built in and a lifetime ROON membership is included in the price, support for Tidal and Deezer. It is not out on the market yet. DAC built in but only RCA digital output for us that wants to use a extern DAC. If this has a good Android app and sounds equal or better than my Aries I will try to get my dealer who is selling ELAC to lend my one to try when it is out on the market.

[Image: elac_americas_discovery_2-640x300.png]

Quote:Almost unbelievably, the Debut F5 floorstander wasn’t the biggest deal to be found in the ELAC room in Denver. That honour goes to the Discovery, a dedicated Roon Server and Endpoint (playback device) that’s been in development for two years; just add iPad or Android tablet for remote control.
The Discovery is an unassuming box whose Quad Core ARM processor runs a Linux OS. To ensure robust performance, Roon runs on a dedicated EMC module and the 8Gb of RAM is solely for storing Roon’s metadata layer. Music storage is BYO and externally connected via USB on the back of the unit.
Also out back are 1) a digital coaxial output and 2) a trio of analogue outputs that each present as individual Roon Endpoints. That means D/A conversion can be both external or internal. I asked about the Discovery’s DAC but whilst the demo units are still in prototype phase ELAC are holding the chip identity as ‘TBC’.

[Image: elac_america_discovery_1-580x387.png]

Quote:Get this though: ELAC are running a modified version of Roon on the Discovery with which they have integrated three more streaming services: Deezer, Rhapsody and TuneIn. It’ll be interesting to see if Roon’s metadata tentacles penetrate as deep with these services as they do with Tidal.
The Discovery’s Stateside RRP has been pegged at US$995 but pushing the value-for-money quotient still further is the inclusion of a lifetime’s subscription to Roon (worth US$449). This is a no-muss-no-fuss Roon solution for those who just wanna plug-n-play.
ELAC say there’ll be even more to demo on the Discovery come CES in January – DAR will be there to catch it.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/1...-americas/
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

We seem to be seeing a plethora of innovative new streamers. This one looks very interesting.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
Jeez I need to stop reading threads like this ....... Big Grin
Just opted to listen to a Melco in my system
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(13-Oct-2015, 12:51)rwjr44 Wrote: We seem to be seeing a plethora of innovative new streamers. This one looks very interesting.

I think that more will come with ROON built in from start, I for one do not want to have a computer on just to run the core and have a streamer as endpoint so this solution if it is implemented right would be a nice thing and that the sound from it is good. They say storage is connected to USB but I hope it will be able to run with a regular NAS on the network.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Read about it this morning as well, but here: http://www.audiostream.com/content/elac-...just-crazy Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Shame only one type of digital out but the Roon lifetime makes it a bargain if it suits the users needs. I wonder if You can have it for half price if you've already bought Roon?

Hopefully that 'custom' Roon is just a hint of what's to come - I.e. hopefully more streaming services...

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

It looks better than most of these toys (e.g. Dialog) and it is based on Linux. Normal Roon is not released for Linux so I assume that server version is different from the version available for Mac or Microsoft.
    ces 2016
Also shown is ELAC’s Discovery Music Server, which will cost $999 when it arrives this spring. ELAC’s server runs an embedded version of Roon, a music library and discovery application that reaps data from the Internet to make music-listening a fully interactive experience. You just link to a NAS or attach a USB drive filled with music files to the server’s back panel, download the Roon iOS or Android app to a tablet and browse away. Roon also integrates with Tidal and other music services, includes 8GB of onboard storage for metadata, and provides both optical digital and three sets of RCA stereo analog outputs
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/content/el...Dvi1ZXh.99
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
After my initial excitement, I found the post below from Danny (one of the founders of Roon) on the Roon forum.  Essentially its a slimmed down server, so missing some nice features. Pretty disappointing and I've ruled it out now, especially since I now have a lifetime membership…..

Quote:Just to be clear about Elac's upcoming product, the Discovery is designed to be a self-contained device, and has a built-in limited version of Roon Server installed on it. It won't have all of Roon's features like lyrics, DSD and high-resolution formats, or the ability to stream to PCs, AirPlay speakers, and Roon Ready devices from our partners. The license is tied to the device rather than to you as a customer, so it's not a Roon Lifetime license, either.

The purpose of our partnership with Elac is to provide a simple, turn key version of the Roon experience, but there will always be features in our Annual and Lifetime memberships that are only available by upgrading.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Hmmm of the list then Smile
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots