Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound differences between Devialet 200 and Devialet 250
(06-Nov-2015, 00:42)Stigmater Wrote: I set output mode to 88/96KHz and I like it so far, bass is more defined and clear then with analog out and overall presentation is less harsh then when it was set to raw.

Exactly. I have experimented with all these settings using both the Linn Sneaky DS and Akurate DSM (latest version) feeding the Devialet master via SPDIF. For some reason RAW doesn't sound good at all and 88/96 works best. I also found that the digital output stage of the Akurate was far superior to the Sneaky.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
[quote pid='28232' dateline='1446733331']

I Can share some more interesting insights from my side,
and i hope JeanF will let me use his thread for further comparison D200 - D250 and now D800 (and maybe even will change the header) Thanks in advance.

[/quote]

@ Stigmater  ...no problem at all Big Grin

Your post activates me to ad some news about my current set up. My Pass Labs amp and Bryston BDA-1 dac are sold recently and a new Devialet 200 is already playing non-stop from yesterday night after I picked it up from my dealer.
Had a demo D200 in house for a couple of days and the difference in SQ between the demo D200 and the brand new D200 is huge i.m.o., so the new unit has to make as much as possible hours now to give its maximum SQ.

Tomorrow I'm gonna make some comparisons between my Moon 180 MiND renderer with Teddy Pardo power supply (linked to the Devialet by Apogee AES/EBU) and JRiver on laptop to ''Air'' on the Devialet so I am curious if it works well and of course how it will sound.

In the meanwhile I tried also three different power cables to the D200 with remarkable differences; Furutech FP-3TS20 with IeGO 8055 connectors, Acoustic Revive PowerMax with Furutech connectors, and the orange Lapp FD 781 CP with IeGO 8055 connectors.
So far my impressions of the Lapp FD 781 CP cable are the best. This cable is the cheapest, but it delivers a real good and colorfull timbre, good and well defined bass, and keeps the Devialet speed and sound signature.
Amp: Devialet 200 // Renderer: Streacom FC-5 Alpha based audio pc with HDPlex 100W LPS - HDPlex 250W ATX UPS - PPA PCIe USB V2 - Roon Labs core - JPlay - Fidelizer Audio Pro  // Speakers: Kharma 3.2 CE black label upgrade // Active sub: Eton Hexacone 10 '' with Hypex DS 4.0 // Cables: Siltech Explorer 180 L - Acoustic Revive Powermax 10000 + IeGo 8055 - Furutech FP-3TS20 + IeGo 8055 - Acoustic Revive USB 1.OPLS - Belden cat.7 1885 ENH + Telegartner MFP8

May be my slight negative impression of adding another D250 coming from fact that I've got new demo unit that didn't do proper break in, just a thought.

By the way I'm more and more enjoy the solution that Guillaume proposed regarding using my Linn Akurate as transport through digital out and set output mode to 88/96KHz, that's made me look at Devialet DAC in a new light and made me realize how a good transport is important for optimum SQ.
I remember that I saw here that someone mentioned that D800 DAC do upsample , is it right ? Does it positively affect SQ compared to D250 ?
Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
(06-Nov-2015, 22:19)Stigmater Wrote: May be my slight negative impression of adding another D250 coming from fact that I've got new demo unit that didn't do proper break in, just a thought.

By the way I'm more and more enjoy the solution that Guillaume proposed regarding using my Linn Akurate as transport through digital out and set output mode to 88/96KHz, that's made me look at Devialet DAC in a new light and made me realize how a good transport is important for optimum SQ.
I remember that I saw here that someone mentioned that D800 DAC do  upsample , is it right ? Does it positively affect SQ compared to D250 ?

Yes, eagle eyed Rufus did a while back, as follows:

From an older version of the Devialet website that's appearing in the Google cache - this is on the D400 'all signals are over-sampled to 384khz via a unique set-up that uses the potential of the DAC "Magic Wire" to its utmost on each unit.'. I'm pretty sure this over-sampling is the same for all Devialet models.

Myself, I spoke to one of the Devialet engineers a while back.  He explained that when used in dual mono, the sound quality is improved with distortions levels being halved, plus the obvious benefits of gained by additional speaker control thanks to more power.
Congrats JeanF. Followed your search closely (also on HTF) as I am too looking to upgrade to Devialet amplification in the future. Great feedback on DevialetChat. Hope to use my Linn Akurate DS in the future as a transport on a D200 or D250. Depending on future funds.

@Stigmater and Guillaume: what digital cable did/do you use to connect the Akurate DS digital out to the Devialet? It only has a BNC type digital out it seems.
I took "Vertex AQ illimani Cable digital 75ohms silver plated BNC" from a friend and gave him for his tests totaldac d1 USB cable, I think we might switch for good Smile

Devialet 800| B&W 802 Diamond | JL 113 | Linn Akurate DS + Denon HEOS for Spotify | Stealth Reverie speaker cables| Audioprana AES/RCA | DH LABS PC 
Picking up on your earlier post, when I first received my brand new companion, I did think that it sounded slightly rough at first. Peoples experience with "burn in" vary enormously, from none required to weeks. For me, rough at first, but more or less there within a day.

I also never thought my actual companion sounded as good as the dealer demo unit I tried. This came with a Chord Sarum cable for the link. My own companion came with the Devialet supplied Crystal cable. I tried various cables that I happened to have, then later an Audioprana cable that utilises the companions XLR input. Only then, with the Audioprana, did I reach the SQ levels that I recalled getting with the dealer demo unit.
Thank you for the information on the digital cable. I now have got the Linn Akurate DS connected to the D200 with a AudioQuest Coffee and this sounds so much better than the Linn DS connected through analog RCA that I think we must have made some misstake yesterday. Very impressed again with Devialet.
(06-Nov-2015, 23:46)kerkhoffd Wrote: Congrats JeanF. Followed your search closely (also on HTF) as I am too looking to upgrade to Devialet amplification in the future. Great feedback on DevialetChat. Hope to use my Linn Akurate DS in the future as a transport on a D200 or D250. Depending on future funds.

@Stigmater and Guillaume: what digital cable did/do you use to connect the Akurate DS digital out to the Devialet? It only has a BNC type digital out it seems.

Thanks kerkhoffd ! Your username is a wellknown name for me and regarding to your HTF posts within some shown interests regarding Devialet I was getting the feeling that you have more then average interest to buy a Devialet Big Grin
Nice to meet you here and hopefully we can share our experiences here with the rest of the members.

The new D200 is in since thirsday night and after a ''cold'' start with a definately need to more playing hours (a small dissapointment after hearing the demo D200 here) its SQ increases by day, so we're going to the right direction...
This morning I was getting very impressive impressions by using Devialet Air (ethernet) i.c.m. Roon on the Windows laptop.
I use to play with the Moon 180 MiND renderer with Teddy Pardo LPS, but I have to say that the Roon - Devialet Air combination surpasses the SQ of the Moon 180 MiND, something I wasn't expecting before...
Amp: Devialet 200 // Renderer: Streacom FC-5 Alpha based audio pc with HDPlex 100W LPS - HDPlex 250W ATX UPS - PPA PCIe USB V2 - Roon Labs core - JPlay - Fidelizer Audio Pro  // Speakers: Kharma 3.2 CE black label upgrade // Active sub: Eton Hexacone 10 '' with Hypex DS 4.0 // Cables: Siltech Explorer 180 L - Acoustic Revive Powermax 10000 + IeGo 8055 - Furutech FP-3TS20 + IeGo 8055 - Acoustic Revive USB 1.OPLS - Belden cat.7 1885 ENH + Telegartner MFP8

(07-Nov-2015, 16:53)JeanF Wrote:
(06-Nov-2015, 23:46)kerkhoffd Wrote: Congrats JeanF. Followed your search closely (also on HTF) as I am too looking to upgrade to Devialet amplification in the future. Great feedback on DevialetChat. Hope to use my Linn Akurate DS in the future as a transport on a D200 or D250. Depending on future funds.

Thanks kerkhoffd ! Your username is a wellknown name for me and regarding to your HTF posts within some shown interests regarding Devialet I was getting the feeling that you have more then average interest to buy a Devialet Big Grin
Nice to meet you here and hopefully we can share our experiences here with the rest of the members.

The new D200 is in since thirsday night and after a ''cold'' start with a definately need to more playing hours (a small dissapointment after hearing the demo D200 here) its SQ increases by day, so we're going to the right direction...
This morning I was getting very impressive impressions by using Devialet Air (ethernet) i.c.m. Roon on the Windows laptop.
I use to play with the Moon 180 MiND renderer with Teddy Pardo LPS, but I have to say that the Roon - Devialet Air combination surpasses the SQ of the Moon 180 MiND, something I wasn't expecting before...

What are youre setting in Roon for Air?
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands