Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increasing my Wifi signal
Just to add. When the lap top is in the kitchen it is only about 6m away from the router.
My I pad works flawlessly and very fast when i am about 20m away and through a number of walls. This is why i doubt it is my wifi signal, although I have been made aware that using it to control the 200 or Melco is very different from browsing the web on it.

When i use AIR it is over the Ethernet. Not wifi but the I pad is used to control it
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(21-Oct-2015, 11:38)Womaz Wrote: Wireless channel scanner??? no idea what that is so I guess not. I use my lap top for my business so reluctant to mess about with it, as you can see tech is not my strong point.

The scanner is a software program that would tell you what wireless channels are in use, and how "good" a wireless signal you're seeing from your router.  It could identify sources of wireless interference that might disrupt streaming over your wireless network.

One reason for asking about that is that by default, most wireless routers are configured to choose automatically the wireless channel they use; sometimes they don't make the best choice and a manual override can give better results.  Using the wireless scanner should help to see whether that would be worth trying in your network.

(21-Oct-2015, 11:38)Womaz Wrote: Network
QNAP NAS
lap top
Devialet 200
Sky router
PS4
LGTV
Sky DH box

The  sky box, Devialet, NAS and PS4 all ethernet wired into back of router.

OK, at least that eliminates the weak wireless interface on the 200 as a potential source of problems.

(21-Oct-2015, 11:38)Womaz Wrote: My lap top is wireless in my kitchen/office. Works fast and flawlessly apart from AIR

I have an Ipad and I phone that I use to control my 200, using JRiver and the Dev remote app

When the lap top is in the same room as hifi AIR works. It stutters if I go to use the laptop for anything , if it has been idle.
In the kitchen, one room away with a paper thin wall between lap top and router AIR is virtually useless and white noise within minutes.

You may need more info.

Just to confirm: when you're using AIR, is the music you stream stored on the NAS (rather than on the laptop)?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Yes on the NAS
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Just to add though the JRiver software is on the lap top
(21-Oct-2015, 12:16)Womaz Wrote: Just to add. When the lap top is in the kitchen it is only about 6m away from the router.
My I pad works flawlessly and very fast when i am about 20m away and through a number of walls. This is why i doubt it is my wifi signal, although I have been made aware that using it to control the 200 or Melco is very different from browsing the web on it.

When i use AIR it is over the Ethernet. Not wifi but the I pad is used to control it

What you've said so far suggests to me that the wireless connection specifically between your laptop and the router is the most likely cause of trouble.  Although the Devialet is connected by Ethernet, if you're playing music from your NAS via AIR, the laptop is pulling the files from the NAS across a wireless connection, then sending the stream to the Devialet back across the wireless connection (via the router in both cases, of course).

Maybe the wireless interface in the laptop itself is not up to scratch, if you get good performance on the iPad?  If that's the problem, replacing your router may not help.

Do you have any music stored on the iPad itself?  If so, it might be worth trying to stream something directly from the iPad to the Devialet to see how reliably that works, with the iPad in various locations.

Do you know whether the router has "dual-band" (2.4 and 5 GHz) wireless?  (I don't have any first-hand experience with Sky routers.)  It's possible the iPad might be connecting on 5 GHz and getting a better signal than the laptop on 2.4 GHz, for example.

Sorry, lots of questions...but better to try and discover the cause systematically if possible, rather than guess.
Warwickshire, UK
(21-Oct-2015, 11:41)Womaz Wrote: What has me baffled now was the Melco dropping out and Melco have indicated that they think it could be my router, although they did qualify this by saying without being there it was not possible to be exact.

With the Melco I was not even streaming music from anywhere. It was on the Melco

How was the Melco connected? I assume USB to the Devialet, and via wired Ethernet to the router?
Warwickshire, UK
(21-Oct-2015, 13:47)thumb5 Wrote:
(21-Oct-2015, 11:41)Womaz Wrote: What has me baffled now was the Melco dropping out and Melco have indicated that they think it could be my router, although they did qualify this by saying without being there it was not possible to be exact.

With the Melco I was not even streaming music from anywhere. It was on the Melco

How was the Melco connected?  I assume USB to the Devialet, and via wired Ethernet to the router?

Yes spot on
(21-Oct-2015, 13:41)thumb5 Wrote:
(21-Oct-2015, 12:16)Womaz Wrote: Just to add. When the lap top is in the kitchen it is only about 6m away from the router.

What you've said so far suggests to me that the wireless connection specifically between your laptop and the router is the most likely cause of trouble.  Although the Devialet is connected by Ethernet, if you're playing music from your NAS via AIR, the laptop is pulling the files from the NAS across a wireless connection, then sending the stream to the Devialet back across the wireless connection (via the router in both cases, of course).

Maybe the wireless interface in the laptop itself is not up to scratch, if you get good performance on the iPad?  If that's the problem, replacing your router may not help.

Do you have any music stored on the iPad itself?  If so, it might be worth trying to stream something directly from the iPad to the Devialet to see how reliably that works, with the iPad in various locations.

Do you know whether the router has "dual-band" (2.4 and 5 GHz) wireless?  (I don't have any first-hand experience with Sky routers.)  It's possible the iPad might be connecting on 5 GHz and getting a better signal than the laptop on 2.4 GHz, for example.

Sorry, lots of questions...but better to try and discover the cause systematically if possible, rather than guess.

I have no music on the I pad, but I have just tried my iphone and it streamed no problem. It worked fine so i decided to go on a wonder around the apartment, worked in every room even my back bedroom. then decided to go down the stairs with it and it worked until i must have been down three flights of stairs then it stopped.

I will have to look at the router later. Its th newest Sky model thats all I know. Popping out now but thanks for help so far. I am inclined to agree with you as lap top seems to be the issue. Even if it is in the same room and I am playing music. I dont tend to use the lap top so it goes idle. then if I touch it to start to use it the music skips......it then returns to normal. But it definitely does not like me using it when the music is playing. This I have definitely noticed. I think the solution is to do away with AIR.........but then the issue with the Melco....hence my frustration.
I will get rid of AIR thoough as I think laptops and music playback will always be fraught with danger.
If you're planning not to use AIR at all, then I'd suggest you focus on getting the Melco working as you want it to.  Since it's streaming from its internal storage to the Devialet via USB, I'd assume the network connection is only used for control.  In that case personally I wouldn't be looking first at replacing your router because that could be quite a bit of effort, might cause unrelated problems, and in any case might not be the cause of the drop-outs or stutters you've heard with the Melco.

Either way, if the Melco is going to be your main source, I think you need to get your retailer to make it work to your satisfaction if it doesn't already.  Personally I wouldn't accept at face value their comment that the problems "could be your router" unless they were able to give you some more detail about why they'd come to that conclusion and what specifically was needed to solve the problem; otherwise it sounds too much like an off-the-top-of-the head cop-out.
Warwickshire, UK
(21-Oct-2015, 17:45)thumb5 Wrote: If you're planning not to use AIR at all, then I'd suggest you focus on getting the Melco working as you want it to.  Since it's streaming from its internal storage to the Devialet via USB, I'd assume the network connection is only used for control.  In that case personally I wouldn't be looking first at replacing your router because that could be quite a bit of effort, might cause unrelated problems, and in any case might not be the cause of the drop-outs or stutters you've heard with the Melco.

Either way, if the Melco is going to be your main source, I think you need to get your retailer to make it work to your satisfaction if it doesn't already.  Personally I wouldn't accept at face value their comment that the problems "could be your router" unless they were able to give you some more detail about why they'd come to that conclusion and what specifically was needed to solve the problem; otherwise it sounds too much like an off-the-top-of-the head cop-out.

I agree with what you suggest. My only reaction after the dealer went home was surely he shouldnt have to try to get a new product to work. But I guess I am living in the past here. its not that simple anymore. I think the lad has as little clue as me as to what is causing the issue, he is however confident he can sort it.
I guess my experience with AIR has made me a little paranoid. I dont want to spend another 1.8k say for something to finally put my AIR troubles to rest, only for the fix to be as troublesome.
Devialet promises but does not deliver, simple as that really. It might not make me very popular on here but today I have also decided to take whatever actions I have to to get some recompense from Devialet for this. Its a shame as I love the 200, but I think they are getting away with murder.

I will hopefully go for the Melco, and have a reliable system, but my nature will not let Devialet get away with this basic disregard for my complaint. The gloves are off.

Once again thanks for your help.