Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Increasing my Wifi signal
It appears i may have an issue with the above so looking for some guidance again.
I may just buy a new router and be done with it. Spend say £200 and get it sorted one and for all. I would do this if I knew it would solve things. I have looked into these wifi extenders, but they appear problematic and many of them actually appear to reduce the speed of your broadband in general, so decided against this.
When i got my 200 i also decided it was a good time to upgrade my broadband. It is with Sky and the 40Mb unlimited package, although i usually only get about 20 to 24Mb. I think the speed is fast enough but maybe I need to upgrade the router.
I work from hone so i totally rely on my broadband and for anyone who has read my posts you will gather that technology is not my forte, so i am a ;little wary on how easy it is to set up a new router etc etc.

As always your help and comments always appreciated
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
womaz, you will probably get better value for money by buying a proper wireless access point that mounts on the ceiling/in a cupboard over a new router. that way you can position it for best effect.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(21-Oct-2015, 10:26)completeluxury Wrote: womaz, you will probably get better value for money by buying a proper wireless access point that mounts on the ceiling/in a cupboard over a new router. that way you can position it for best effect.

Sounds interesting. is this not what I looked at , a wifi extender, is it the same thing? I looked at a wifi extender from BT at about £50, but reviews were not good and stated that the wifi in the house automatically then reverted to a slower overall broadband speed.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
To eradicate your wifi issue, the best method is to install Ethernet cable from your main router to the wireless router that connects to your Le200. This is also inexpensive.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

I only have one router in my main room, where the Hifi is, so I am sorry i do not understand .
Oh, I thought you mentioned before that you were trying to access your Le200 outside your Hifi room. OK, my bad.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

Could you list/describe everything in your network, giving an idea of location (e.g. room) for each item, and how they are connected (e.g. wired Ethernet, power-line network, wireless, ...)? That might prompt some suggestions about how to improve the reliability of your network.

If I remember correctly, we concluded that when you use AIR it's actually the connection between your laptop and the router (wireless access point) that seemed to be the main problem -- rather than the link to the 200 itself.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Also: do you have a wireless channel scanner (such as inSSIDer) on your PC? If you can generate a scan and post the output that might be helpful to work out whether your wi-fi network is running on the best channel.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I will try

Wireless channel scanner??? no idea what that is so I guess not. I use my lap top for my business so reluctant to mess about with it, as you can see tech is not my strong point.

Network
QNAP NAS
lap top
Devialet 200
Sky router
PS4
LGTV
Sky DH box

The sky box, Devialet, NAS and PS4 all ethernet wired into back of router.

My lap top is wireless in my kitchen/office. Works fast and flawlessly apart from AIR

I have an Ipad and I phone that I use to control my 200, using JRiver and the Dev remote app

When the lap top is in the same room as hifi AIR works. It stutters if I go to use the laptop for anything , if it has been idle.
In the kitchen, one room away with a paper thin wall between lap top and router AIR is virtually useless and white noise within minutes.

You may need more info.
(21-Oct-2015, 11:22)thumb5 Wrote: Could you list/describe everything in your network, giving an idea of location (e.g. room) for each item, and how they are connected (e.g. wired Ethernet, power-line network, wireless, ...)?  That might prompt some suggestions about how to improve the reliability of your network.

If I remember correctly, we concluded that when you use AIR it's actually the connection between your laptop and the router (wireless access point) that seemed to be the main problem -- rather than the link to the 200 itself.

Yes thats right. Thats why i was considering a BT wifi extender until I read some bad reviews.
What has me baffled now was the Melco dropping out and Melco have indicated that they think it could be my router, although they did qualify this by saying without being there it was not possible to be exact.

With the Melco I was not even streaming music from anywhere. It was on the Melco