Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turntable and Devialet Question
Okay guys, somethnig Wierd is happening.

I got a TT with a Preamp, and this preamp is conected to a configured line entrance in the Devialet. Problem is I only got one channel sounding. I swapped cables (red and white) and then the other speaker is sounding.

That should discard the preamp and the Devialet as the failing units, and make you think that the cable is broken. But I tried another cable and got the same problem.

So what Im doing wrong here please?

Many thanks.
I think it would help to know the brand and type turntable.
Also, did you configure the Devialet input as a phono input or a analog input?
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
I think as @Krorghar is using a pre-amp, then it is safe to assume the Devialet input is set as a conventional analogue line in. I like being logical with issues like this, and it looks like @Krorghar is also taking a logical approach to working out the issue, the trouble is that the results are totally illogical! (I'm sounding like Spok here) I presume you did swap both ends of the cable though..... (If not I think I can work this one out)

What would I do? I would keep trying to eliminate possibilities to isolate the issue. For example, I would try connecting something else to the same inputs of the Devialet, say an analogue tuner, CD player via it's phono output, or whatever else is available. Depending on results, I would connect the output of the phono preamp to something else, an old amplifier, surround amp, a mates system, or again, whatever else is available. If this did not isolate what is going on? I'd probably go to the pub and start drinking very heavily, and then think about it again in about a weeks time......
(09-Aug-2014, 09:21)Confused Wrote: I think as @Krorghar is using a pre-amp, then it is safe to assume the Devialet input is set as a conventional analogue line in. I like being logical with issues like this, and it looks like @Krorghar is also taking a logical approach to working out the issue, the trouble is that the results are totally illogical! (I'm sounding like Spok here) I presume you did swap both ends of the cable though..... (If not I think I can work this one out)

What would I do? I would keep trying to eliminate possibilities to isolate the issue. For example, I would try connecting something else to the same inputs of the Devialet, say an analogue tuner, CD player via it's phono output, or whatever else is available. Depending on results, I would connect the output of the phono preamp to something else, an old amplifier, surround amp, a mates system, or again, whatever else is available. If this did not isolate what is going on? I'd probably go to the pub and start drinking very heavily, and then think about it again in about a weeks time......
Just checking, and making sure. Perhaps Krorghar is simply using the wrong inputs. I've been confused a couple of times while connecting my devices to the Devialet.

BTW Humans are seldom logical Big Grin
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
sounds like one channel of your preamp is dead.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Hi guys thanks for the responses. I will explain all the problem with more detail:

Preamp is a Rega Aria. TT is a Rega RP10. The TT exit is conected to the entrance of the Preamp, and the exit of the Preamp is connected to a entrance of the devialet that is configured as a "line in" with the web configurator.

Simptoms: Only one channel sounds.

First suspect: one of the channel outputs of the preamp is dead.

Test: swapped the cables and now the other channel is sounding, so if I'm not wrong here, the preamp exits are good. And also it must be the devialet (or not?)

Second suspect: the cable is broken

Test: used another cable and got the same problem .. only one channel is sounding.

The only problem I can think off is that the line module of the devialet is broken (I mean the inner circuitry that controls the line in, and this would be a major problem that would force me to return the device and ask for a replacement Sad )

Next test. I will use any source and feed the line in, if i get only one channel sounding again .... is sepukku time Angry . Will keep you updated guys.

So basicaly, I'm going right now to a bar and get drunk Tongue
You could connect the RP10 directly to the Devialet. That way you can test if there is a problem with the Aria.

The Netherlands
(09-Aug-2014, 16:45)Krorghar Wrote: Simptoms: Only one channel sounds.

First suspect: one of the channel outputs of the preamp is dead.

Test: swapped the cables and now the other channel is sounding, so if I'm not wrong here, the preamp exits are good. And also it must be the devialet (or not?)

Second suspect: the cable is broken

Test: used another cable and got the same problem .. only one channel is sounding.

What exactly do you mean by "swapped the cables" in the description of your first test? I can think of several possibilities including:

1) Swapped the connections at one end of the cable only (either the Devialet or the preamp) so that what was connected to the R channel is now connected to the L channel and vice versa.

If that's what you meant, it suggests to me that you're only getting output from one channel of your preamp.

2) Swapped the connections at both ends of the cable (so R on the preamp is still connected to R on the Devialet, and L to L).

If that's what you meant, it suggests to me that the cable is broken. But that's not consistent with…

3) Replaced the cable with another one (i.e. your second test).

Since you're getting sound out of both channels of the Devialet, albeit in different tests, I think the Devialet is OK but it's only seeing input on one channel in each test.

In short, I tend to agree with Frank's diagnosis that one channel of your preamp might be dead. Or maybe one of the connections to the cartridge has come adrift? Do you get anything at all out of the other channel (noise, hum, …)?

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Many thanks for the responses guys.

UPDATE: Ok here is Devialock Holmes triying to resolve the mistery Big Grin

So it definitively seems that one of the channels of the Aria Preamp is toasted.

I have conected the analog output of an old Krell CD/DVD player directly to the analog line in of the Devialet using the same suspiciously broken cable, and I got both channels sounding now.

So that should discard the cable and the Dev as the items that are causing the problem here.

That only left the Aria preamp as our only suspect here ...

Note: the RP10 connected directly to the Phono input of the dev works perfect (and delicious btw)

So this is still giving me the creeps Confused ... any iddeas guys?

Further tests:

Swaping connectors only in the DEVIALET LINE INPUT: In normal position I got the Right channel sounding, In inverted position I got the Left channel sounding.

Swaping connectors only in the PREAMP LINE OUTPUT: In normal position I got the Right Channel sounding, in inverted position I got the Left Channel sounding.

Swaping connector BOTH in the DEVIALET AND THE PREAMP: In normal position I got the Right Channel sounding, in inverted position I STILL got the right channel sounding.

FINAL DIAGNOSIS: Left channel of the Rega Aria Preamp is Toasted. This was really a mind breaking puzzle, but I think that I finally could solve it (I hope) Blush

Note: by "normal" position I mean using the red connector for the Right channel and white for the Left, by "inverted" I mean swapping the connectors.

BTW: Here are some pics of the equipment:

[Image: Rp10a_zps958a3fb5.jpg]

[Image: Rp10b_zpscd2057c0.jpg]

[Image: Rp10c_zpsfb55a30a.jpg]

[Image: Rp10d_zpsf2da121e.jpg]

[Image: Rp10e_zpsb9c4f5c3.jpg]

Hope you like it guys Big Grin