Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluetooth unstable
I know Bluetooth is not the preferred connection for the phantoms but I would expect it to work better than it does.

When using Bluetooth I constantly have dropouts for milliseconds at a time that cause a crack sound in the playback.

The issue is not present over wifi only Bluetooth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been really impressed with the Bluetooth quality. I've been streaming from a Dell PC and had many happy hours without a hitch.

For a while I had an issue with the optical connection cutting in, but this was a problem with the PC again and it was fixed by switching off the "auto connect" option for optical in spark. Not sure if this might be a possible cause for you? Also, not sure what you are streaming from but have you tried streaming from other Bluetooth devices ?

(30-Oct-2015, 12:53)Adams Wrote: I know Bluetooth is not the preferred connection for the phantoms but I would expect it to work better than it does.

When using Bluetooth I constantly have dropouts for milliseconds at a time that cause a crack sound in the playback.

The issue is not present over wifi only Bluetooth.

I stream to the phantom closest to me in the room, I have 3 and never had problems when doing it this way.
There are so many variables that affect wireless data transmission, including proximity and ambient noise competing in similar frequency ranges.  If you are in an urban environment or you have your own other devices in the area, it's like a  bunch of people yelling in a room. If you can't get rid of the other yellers, the only solution is to yell louder or get closer to the person you're yelling to.  Bluetooth has gotten better with each generation but it still have some basic design limitations.

The best solution is proximity. But with the Phantoms as well as with other bluetooth speakers, in my experience, it is very tough to achieve no drop outs ever. Yes, you can get very good performance, but everyone once in a while, I still get drop outs. The degree of stability I've been able to achieve with wifi seems to be significantly better, getting closer to a wired  network, than what I've been able to achieve with bluetooth. It also depends on the bluetooth implementation on the receive side and that is not well documented on the Phantoms from what I've been able to find. But I know that my bluetooth experience with the Phantoms is not quite as good as what I've been able to get with other late-model Bluetooth speakers (eg JBL Xtremes).

Sorry I don't have a perfect solution to offer -- but proximity has worked for me, even if it does eat into convenience.
Currently since I have not been able to set up my pair so I am using only bluetooth for a single Phantom. Laptop is very unstable.  But Android phone with AptX - very stable. Zero dropout.   Both about six feet away.  So I wonder if you are able to test with a different device.  Sound wise - OK, not great, but it is mono so can't tell.  It will take stereo for me to really evaluate the audio quality.