Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOLVED Spark, stereo pair Phantom -dropouts. What Wireless Wifi Router to purchase?
Wow, this is an old thread.  I have since acquired another Phantom Pair - the Golds. 

Grateful to report that the two pairs in two different rooms are connected via wireless only and rock solid stable.  Very few dropouts and only once or twice a day for perhaps half a second.  One pair is going through two walls.  Again, very happy. 

Just reporting back. Devialet seem to have continued to improve their processes. 

ORIGINAL POST

I am currently using the "Medialink Wireless N" wireless router.   Pretty basic but we have streamed HD vis youtube - dual stream and it's been plenty.   

In the Phantom's case, there are constantly dropouts, especially when other users are on network. 

Question - if I were to purchase another router, what are the ideal routers in varying budget range to purchase? 

I assume the dropouts has to do with bandwidth of the router?   Signal strength is five bars so that's not the problem.  And we are in individual homes rather than apartments so I assume that it is not signal interference as my home router is the only five bar signal.   It is not my computer processing ability because I tested on 'power save' and 'maximum performance' - no difference. It is also not spark because when I close down Spark and use my bluetooth, the same problem exists. 

So it comes down to two items that I can think off: 
a. Wireless Router somehow is insufficient. 
b. Home wiring is not condusive to Phantom communication with each other. In this case, I'm not using any filter and I may be 'toast' in trying to solve this.  So I'm going with router first. 

Thanks everyone for your previous help.   I think that I have everything set up as of now.... It was a six hours effort. 

Thanks!
MtnGuy

UPDATE: 

The problem is solved.  I borrowed an [/url]ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router

Setup was quick via Spark.  The signals are rock solid and have had zero drop out over two days. [url=https://www.amazon.com/RT-N66U-Dual-Band-Wireless-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B006QB1RPY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1446496161&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+wireless+router]
 Bluetooth is also rock solid.

UPDATE 11/4

Well, I spoke too soon. After 2 days, it became unstable with dropouts galore.  Yes, we reset/rebooted everything.  Yes we have plenty bandwidth on our system.  Streaming Tidal nomally to traditional DAC has zero problems and rock stable.  

I even went in to the router and prioritized ONLY the Dialog/Phantom system at 100% bandwidth.  

Pretty close to giving up.
You might be able to prioritise the Dialog in the router setup.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I'm using an apple AirPort Extreme. It has worked flawlessly from day one. I also have the dialog and both phantoms connected to the same, unfiltered, powerboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(31-Oct-2015, 22:06)sleach Wrote: I'm using an apple AirPort Extreme. It has worked flawlessly from day one. I also have the dialog and both phantoms connected to the same, unfiltered, powerboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's a 'powerboard'?  That's not possible for me as my router and therefore my dialogue are in a different room from my Phantoms.   THanks. 

MtnGuy.
(31-Oct-2015, 22:07)MountainGuy Wrote: What's a 'powerboard'?  That's not possible for me as my router and therefore my dialogue are in a different room from my Phantoms.   THanks. 

MtnGuy.

sorry - local dialect! Power strip, you might call it. I'm quite lucky in that I live in a wooden house with plaster-board walls so I can quite easily run various cables around the house and patch up after myself.

Just a thought - have you tried setting the phantoms up in the same room as the dialog just as a test? Might be useful to see if you can narrow down the possibilities of what the problem might be. It has been suggested elsewhere on this forum that the "belts and braces" installation is to have the dialog and Phantoms all connected via ethernet to the same router, connected to the same power circuit and located in the same room.

Hold in there - it is worth the effort to get them going!
I have the phantom's directly plugged into the wall outlet and the wifi is an Apple Time Capsule (Airport Extreme basically). The Dialog is plugged into the same Time Capsule via ethernet and is plugged into an unfiltered regular power strip. Works perfectly!
2x Phantom I Gold Opera de Paris 2.12.3 on Branch
The problem is solved. I borrowed an ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router

Setup was quick via Spark. The signals are rock solid and have had zero drop out over two days. ​ Bluetooth is also rock solid.

So it is clear that the older Medialink router was not up to snuff - surprised as that could stream HD videos without problem.
Well, I spoke too soon. After 2 days, it became unstable with dropouts galore. Yes, we reset/rebooted everything. Yes we have plenty bandwidth on our system. Streaming Tidal nomally to traditional DAC has zero problems and rock stable.

I even went in to the router and prioritized ONLY the Dialog/Phantom system at 100% bandwidth.

Pretty close to giving up.
I would try a NETGEAR R7000 and leave the quality of service option disabled.
Recently I received a 3rd Phantom, this time with BT. So far my two Phantoms with Dialog did not have many problems with playing Qobuz streamed CD and hires quality music and also local ALAC and FLAC files in formats up to 24bit/96k. 192k had from time to time drop-outs. I was using an old time capsule configured as router and now use an older Linksys E3000 router. The Phantoms are connected wirelessly to Dialog. No problems, and the router and Dialog are in an other (next) room than the Phantoms. However, and this seems to be important, both Phantoms and the Dialog are connected to the power that is on the same phase / wires that are protected with one fuse. As soon as I connected the 3rd Phantom in the same living room but another electricity branch (protected with another fuse) I got the same problems as are described by many here. Interrupts, unresponsiveness of Spark, one Phantom disconnected after some minutes of listening etc. After connecting the 3rd Phantom to the same power branch like the other Phantoms and Dialog all works as it should. Hours of music listening without interrupt, joy! From this experience I conclude that the PLC (integrated in Phantoms and Dialog) is the important component that makes the wireless setup of Phantoms work. The powerline needs to be on the same copper cables. The wifi is of secondary importance, needs to be there for controlling the system with Spark and streaming content from portable devices or PCs to Dialog. But I guess that the PLC is crucial for a good communication/sync of the Phantoms to Dialog and viceversa.