Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOLVED Spark, stereo pair Phantom -dropouts. What Wireless Wifi Router to purchase?
MtnGuy, is your router in the same room as the Phantom? I initially had my Phantoms in a room adjacent to my router (ASUS RT-AC68U) and Dialog. The setup was unreliable. I then moved the Dialog into the same room as and near to the Phantoms, connecting the Dialog to the router in the other room via powerline adapters. And I plugged the power cables of the Dialog and Phantoms into the same extension cord (not a power strip). Everything works just fine now and is stable. I'm running the latest firmware and Spark software.
MSG - really appreciate your effort to help.

Not in the same room.  About 20 feet away. I moved Phantom to the same room, on unfiltered wall plugs.  No difference. So it's not a proximity issue.

But even if it is, where I draw the line is to have to rearrange my living arrangements to suit the Phantom. While I am willing to work a bit to get the Phantom to work, I am not willing to change my home arrangement to fit the Phantom.  It's not even the best sounding system in my home - but it is the most convenient to move around which is why I am still fiddling a bit though I'm fresh out of idea short of trying the airport express.  The ability to transport two orbs from room to room is fantastic, especially for something of this capability when it works.   (On principle though, it just seem inappropriate that I have to purchase an airport express when I already have a very good high bandwidth router and the Phantom is not even close to taxing its limit.  I monitored the data transfer between the Phantom/Dialog and my wireless router that I got just for the Phantom and it never goes above 1.2 m/s. )

Thanks again!
MtnGuy
Totally agree that one shouldn't have to rearrange one's home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As described above in my case it is the PLC of Phantoms and Dialog that matters when the Phantoms are not connected by ethernet cables but 'wirelessly'. While playing a Qobuz stream via Spark I can turn off and on again the Wifi, even reboot it without interrupt. So the wireless is not used for syncing the Phantoms.
(06-Nov-2015, 16:37)streamy Wrote: Recently I received a 3rd Phantom, this time with BT. So far my two Phantoms with Dialog did not have many problems with playing Qobuz streamed CD and hires quality music and also local ALAC and FLAC files in formats up to 24bit/96k. 192k had from time to time drop-outs. I was using an old time capsule configured as router and now use an older Linksys E3000 router. The Phantoms are connected wirelessly to Dialog. No problems, and the router and Dialog are in an other (next) room than the Phantoms. However, and this seems to be important, both Phantoms and the Dialog are connected to the power that is on the same phase / wires that are protected with one fuse. As soon as I connected the 3rd Phantom in the same living room but another electricity branch (protected with another fuse) I got the same problems as are described by many here. Interrupts, unresponsiveness of Spark, one Phantom disconnected after some minutes of listening etc. After connecting the 3rd Phantom to the same power branch like the other Phantoms and Dialog all works as it should. Hours of music listening without interrupt, joy! From this experience I conclude that the PLC (integrated in Phantoms and Dialog) is the important component that makes the wireless setup of Phantoms work. The powerline needs to be on the same copper cables. The wifi is of secondary importance, needs to be there for controlling the system with Spark and streaming content from portable devices or PCs to Dialog. But I guess that the PLC is crucial for a good communication/sync of the Phantoms to Dialog and viceversa.
Hi 

I have been having the same issues since I acquired my third, fourth and fifth silver... that solution will not work when the devices are connected in different room...
I still having that issue even today...
Thx
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
Please see the original post. Problems fully resolved and have two pairs in two different rooms all operating wirelessly. YMMV but for us, we are very happy.
(25-Nov-2016, 00:44)MountainGuy Wrote: Please see the original post.  Problems fully resolved and have two pairs in two different rooms all operating wirelessly.  YMMV but for us, we are very happy.

Hi
Thanks a lot .. but I have tried several location change and still no improvement...
I do not have the router as such at home as internet is feeded in my house via a point to point link .. router is located 1  mile away from home. 
In my house, severs, gigabit switches...
All my phantoms are wired to the switch devices...
I have got two ubiquiti Access points providing wifi at home...
Due to the house layout... I can't go wifi as one or two devices will be missing.... due to the brick wall... 
Do you think using surge protected extension leads has some negative effects?
Sorry to ask again... can you tell me more about your setup please..?
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.