Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A touch of brightness
Hi Womaz,

Very good of you to continue to follow up with your experiences with the effects of room treatments and decor changes. I hope it is not pushing your thread off-track but it is very interesting to read your posts, as well as those of others, relating to the effects of the room on the sound. In my own situation, I think that I have underestimated the effects of the room and furniture and speaker placement. In retrospect, I think I have also purchased speakers that are not well-suited to my room; another situation where something that I loved elsewhere is not right in my space. Sort of like guitars; I like the sound of a Jazz bass, just not when I play it....
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Damon I am amazed at fbe difference in sound the panels have made.
Even just taking one of them down makes a big difference. It's been worth the effort for sure. I still feel that the speakers may need replacing in the end but the brightness has all but gone now with the addition of the rug. It replaced a large enamel table and once again what a difference ......only this time for the worse I feel. Bass is now boomy and I will remove one of the bass traps I think

When I started this thread I was a little cynical about the effect of the room. I could not have been more wrong. The effect of the room on how my system sounded is massive and I would imagine everyone can benefit from paying a little more attention to it
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Great to see you're learning about the benefits of a good room. I don't think you would ever get such an improvement with changing cables.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(16-Dec-2015, 20:42)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Great to see you're learning about the benefits of a good room. I don't think you would ever get such an improvement with changing cables.

I doubt that too . Last week I experimented with my £5 printer USB cable and I honestly don't think I could hear a difference,.......hey but let us not get into that debate ;-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Hi,

I'm into hifi for more than two decades now and have to say that the room interaction is undeastimated way to often!
I heard mid price (5 - 10k) systems sounding amazing and highest end ones (> 100k) sounding, well, let's say way below their possibilities. Audio shows are often enough a good (means bad) example.
Room treatment with reasonably placed absorbers/ diffusors will bring the best results but also simple stuff like rugs, cushions in corners to defeat echoes, furniture, plants, etc. can make huge differences - in either direction as Womaz just brought up...
Block PS100 Custom turntable/ Soundsmith Carmen - Kimber KS1011
Aurali Aries LE - Kimber USB  /  Oyaide FTVS 510
AVM Evolution CD3 - Oyaide FTVS 510
D200 - Kimber 12TC all clear - Ayon Gyrfalcon
HMS Energia RC1 mains filter- Fisch Audio power wires
Stuttgart, Germany
The most profound experience I've had with room interaction was a mate's system; Sonos into Emotiva into magnepan 1.7. It sounded so good in his old living room with thick carpet and lots of furniture but so bad in the new one with floor boards and hardly any furniture. It wasn't even close. The second set up made noise, not music.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.