Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
New versions of Spark 1.3.1 and firmware 1.4.1.12
Ok, I did the upgrade and finally I got both my Phantoms and Dialog with the same firmware version. They are now working fine and playing in stereo in wireless, so, I don't need to have my Phantoms connected to my router using ethernet cables anymore. Less cables on my living room! Smile

However, I haven't tried connecting the optical to Dialog, still have it connected to one of the phantoms.

Regarding the sound quality, I think it's more or less the same as before.
Power of suggesting is a potent thing.  Devialet engineers may be chuckling if they made no change to the audio.

But I just updated. Before updating, I put a sound meter on a set piece at 35 volume and video recorded the digital sound meter.  Then updated, I played the same piece with the meter still on and replayed my video recording (no sound) to compare side by side.  It seems that there are passages that may be a touch louder with the new software but on the whole, doesn't seem to be much different.

But I'd be darned if the whole system does not seem to present more delicacy/air that is a substantive improvement.  I am happy - it bridges the gap a bit between my currently system though not completely there. 

Again, may simply the placebo effect of the power of suggestion.  We won't know for sure until Devialet divulges. 

But on the whole, I am glad I upgraded. 

MtnGuy
How do you upgrade the Spark?

When I turned it on, it said there is new upgrade.  I went through teh download and install.  Done.

But Spark is still 1.3.0. And everytime I turn it on, there is box that pops up saying a new Spark is available?  But no option to upgrade or instruction.

How do I upgrade Spark to 1.3.1?  It was rock solid stable until I upgraded the other parts today - and now it often stops intermittently.   

Thanks,
MtnGuy
I only had my phantoms for a couple of days before the upgrade so had limited use to compare sound quality before and after the latest upgrade, I do think the sound output overall at low volume levels <30 is higher and more balanced than pre update, I also feel the bass to be held back a little more around the 60 to 70 level but as has previously been said the power of suggestion is an incredible thing.

One thing I can confirm though is my system does randomly skip forward 3 tracks in the playlist and stop playing for no reason, this issue is present using both the updated version of spark on my phone and the older version on my Mac. The problem was not present pre update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(04-Nov-2015, 01:09)Adams Wrote: I only had my phantoms for a couple of days before the upgrade so had limited use to compare sound quality before and after the latest upgrade, I do think the sound output overall at low volume levels <30 is higher and more balanced than pre update, I also feel the bass to be held back a little more around the 60 to 70 level but as has previously been said the power of suggestion is an incredible thing.

One thing I can confirm though is my system does randomly skip forward 3 tracks in the playlist and stop playing for no reason, this issue is present using both the updated version of spark on my phone and the older version on my Mac. The problem was not present pre update.

Did you try a complete reset? Maybe it is a corrupted cache file. I did not encounter the problems you describe. Listened to it for a couple of ours now (using two Macs and an iPad with Spark and Dialog).

Innuos Zen Mini MK3 -> (Ethernet / Audioquest Optical) -> Dialog & 2x White Phantom
Pro-Ject Carbon Debut Esprit Turntable with Ortofon Red -> (Cinch/RCA) Musical Fidelity Merlin -> (AudioQuest Optical) to Phantom
Master & Dynamics MH40, Audeze Sine, AudioQuest Dragonfly Red; Remote Control via macOS and iOS devices (Devialet App / Innuos Sense /iPeng / Audirvāna Studio)
[/quote]

Did you try a complete reset? Maybe it is a corrupted cache file. I did not encounter the problems you describe. Listened to it for a couple of ours now (using two Macs and an iPad with Spark and Dialog).
[/quote]

Yes I have carried out complete resets of both the phantoms and dialog three times now.

(04-Nov-2015, 01:09)Adams Wrote: I only had my phantoms for a couple of days before the upgrade so had limited use to compare sound quality before and after the latest upgrade, I do think the sound output overall at low volume levels <30 is higher and more balanced than pre update, I also feel the bass to be held back a little more around the 60 to 70 level but as has previously been said the power of suggestion is an incredible thing.

Yes, it also randomly skipped tracks and suddenly stopped with previous spark version. No doubt about that. Reading the reactions, the general performance of the phantoms are a bit improved but Devialet didn't fix issues related to spark. Oh well, waiting for the next update  Undecided
I really was not expecting an improvement in the sound - more the stability. However I immediately noticed the smoother integration of the midst and highs, in fact it was a surprise and I played several of my standards to double check, All sounded better and less fatiguing yet more high fidelity. I just love the concept of upgrades via networking.

All good with new versions of spark and firmware here. Not sure about Sound Quality...it sounded great today but when I listened to a couple of my preferred test tracks with sections that seem to highlight differences between systems, my listening notes were pretty much unchanged. It felt better though so who knows? I wonder if Devialet will ever tell...

Quote: I wonder if Devialet will ever tell...

No. Devialet just doesn't communicate with his existing customers. Ever.
Because... You know... Updates content is certainly an industrial secret!