Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are using vinyl as main source?
Hi there,

I know that Dev is about mostly digital but i got into Dev because I thought it did sound the best even with vinyl reply. The phono section is really outstanding on the Dev.
Even if I play quite a lot of digital material I still play vinyl the most, and prefer this to many of the same digital format.

I know that the analogue signal is converted to digital and it was a mind challenge from the beginning but when the sound reply is so freaking good those kind of thoughts have to go and instead one has to enjoy.

Any one else here with vinyl as prime replay source?

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Me, In fact is my only source for now. Any questions I could answer my friend?
I bought my turntable about 6 months ago, and my vinyl collection is rapidly growing. I still use streaming most, but vinyl is catching up rather quickly Smile
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
(10-Aug-2014, 01:49)Krorghar Wrote: Me, In fact is my only source for now. Any questions I could answer my friend?

Hi,

I do most music over vinyl but classical the digital route. Question? Well, did you buy Devialet for vinyl replay as first choice like me?

/Mike

(10-Aug-2014, 07:39)Eddye Wrote: I bought my turntable about 6 months ago, and my vinyl collection is rapidly growing. I still use streaming most, but vinyl is catching up rather quickly Smile

My vinyl collection doubled its collection rate after getting the Devialet Smile.
There are so many super pressings out there that leaves digital in the dust and not to forget all 50-60-70s original pressings.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Interesting. I bought an LP per week in the late 60s and 70s, so I have loads. Nowadays I buy fewer than 10 per year and listen mainly to the favourites I still have from the old days.

My TT sounds fabulous, I love all those (mainly) euphonic colourations it adds, but I find it often doesn't have a wide enough dynamic range for big classical pieces, though I do have a few classical recordings I like so much I listen through the shortcomings.

TBH the biggest problem of LPs for a classical music fan like me is turning the record over, it really breaks the musical flow :-(
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I use both vinyl and digital. I used to be a keen buyer of vinyl when younger and also had many years working as a "professional" DJ, doing a lot of indie / alternative type gigs, so the records from this era are not all dance rave disco type stuff. In fact the gigs were very varied in nature, and the vinyl collection that remains as a legacy of this reflects that. So I have a lot of legacy vinyl and hence need a decent turntable / phono stage if I want to play them. I am not a vinyl convert though, most of my new purchases have been digital. It is perhaps interesting to note that I do have some music on both digital and vinyl, on my old system I had some music that sounded better playing the vinyl version, this varied depending on quality of the vinyl itself and the quality of master transfer etc. With the latest system, I think that more or less everything sounds better with the digital version, which says something about the performance of the Devialet's digital analogue conversion.

The interesting point is that I did not chose the Devialet because of it's phono stage. I had decided on new speakers, and then set about auditioning various amplifiers to establish which worked best with the speakers. I think speakers have the biggest influence of the character of the system, and then correctly matching speakers with an appropriate amplifier is the key to creating system that really performs and works. So I chose the Devialet because it was the best sounding amplifier with the speakers of choice. I was not remotely influenced by the shiny box (in fact, I preferred the look of Chord electronics), the one box solution stuff, AIR, the sexy remote, or anything else. Also, although I could see the logic of a digital phono stage, part of me really did not like the idea an analogue source being corrupted in the digital domain.

This weekend I have been trying a Tom Evans Groove phono stage, which is on loan from my very helpful local hifi dealer. I will post details of this comparison under a separate thread, this is not quite the right slot, but in conclusion the Devialet's phono stage comes out on top. So how much is the built in phono stage worth? Although an external phono stage will change the character of the sound from vinyl, which may suit personal preferences, I am not sure an external phono stage at any price could definitively better the Devialet's version. (I did like some aspects of the "Tom Evans" sound though) A brand new Tom Evans Groove would cost over £2K. So considering the quality (and monetary value) of the DAC, phono stage, AIR, and then new stuff like SAM thrown in, that shiny box starts to look like very good value, and a very good choice indeed for vinyl users. It must be just about the best "built in" phono stage available, and I still thought the Devialet offered best sound quality per £ without even considering the vinyl performance.
I did the jump and bought a turntable last Christmas and after that I pretty much only bought vinyl. I still use the Devialet as digital input through ethernet but most of the time I am spinning records. Next step is digitalizing the vinyl. I mainly buy used records of old classic and even if they sound great is difficult to find a perfect copy without any pop or tick. Digitalizing will allow to keep the vinyl sound but purged by then clicks and avoid to spoil some records from over use.
Occasionally I have some people having fun of my "nostalgia", usually I invite them home put on the cd of the Beatles "White Album" and then my first Uk press of the same album. Usually this end any discussion.... Wink

M
Hi,
I listen very often to vinyl, but have made peace with digital domain since 24/96 replay is available.
Music was always a very important part of my life, so I had a relatively large ( for a young person) vinyl record collection as the CD was introduced. I always have been interested in new technologies, so I bought a CD-Player as soon I could afford one, it was a Philips, don't know the exact name.
The promise was crystal clear music reproduction, no pops, no clics, no hiss and I jumped on the digital train. One of the first cd's I bought was Billy Joel's Innocent Man and the absence of background noise, especially when that triangle of the title track was played, impressed me. Let me say that my turntable was not state of the art :-).
Fool I was I changed a reasonable amount of my vinyl into CD.
Later then I drifted into the Audio scene and I heard some good record players. It was the time as vinyl seems to die out and there were only a few good decks as Roksan Xerxes, Platine Verdier, SOTA or Linn Sondek LP12.
I could afford a Linn Axis turntable to play the rest of my vinyl collection and he killed my CD-Player sonically.
I always had a CD-Player, because in those times music was mainly released on CD, but if there were a release on vinyl I bought these.
Things changed as DVD-Audio and SACD became available. Since then digital is on eye level with analog for me, when played on the best devices. I prefer to play digital files from harddisc, sounds better for me than a discplayer.
This is likely a story many audiophiles could tell!

Nowadays playing vinyl is like a ceremony for me, maybe like the ancient japanese tea ceremony, I do this mainly at the weekend, during the week I listen mainly to digital files, I ripped all my CD's and look for downloads for new music.
Since 1989 I have a Linn LP12, made all the updates, changed one time the whole device to upgrade further on and he always holds me a a step on the analog side. He has the built in Urika phono stage, so I take the line input of the Devialet, what sometimes make me curious of the Devialet phono stage, but it already sounds so wonderful, I can't be bothered to change something.

Now we live in vinyl paradise, almost every new record is available on vinyl, there are great reissues and great turntables are to buy.
I occasionally buy vinyl records, mostly reissues, and have a lot of fun with the "ceremony". Love it!
Recently I have also fun to digitalize some of my vinyl with Devialet-USB, works great!
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
I listen to Vinyl as well, not as much as digital due to ease, but the "ceremony" and the sound of vinyl is still very attractive...

I tested the built in phono stage, and I must say it is phenomenal. However, I still continue to use and prefer my Audio Research Ref 2 SE that I have, for a "different" sound. I still like some tubes with my vinyl but it does not mean it is "better". But hey, it is one of the best phonostages in the market still today. And this is a considerable achievement for Devialet to "match" such a reference product. It costs almost as much as a D250 !!!

Recently, one addition to my system just increased the joy of vinyl playback in my system, an Audio Desk Systeme ultrasonic record cleaner... Very easy to use, and simple goodbye to most of the noise from old (and new) lp's. I simply chose the next record I want to listen to, and put it in the cleaner... well before the current record needs turning, the next one is ready to spin... (under 5 minutes). It runs in an adjacent room so the noise (there is some) is not audible to me listening to music...

Cheers
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
I didn't bought the Devialet specially for playing vinyls, I just went to the shop and got the amp that sounded better to my ears, the phono stage was a bonus. My RP10 is conected now directly to its phono stage, and it sound delicious. I also got a Rega Aria preamp, for testing, but as you can read in the thread above, the unit is deffective. When I got a working replacement I will do extensive test, to see if the rega preamp can beat the built-in one, will keep you updated guys.