Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
connector cleaning / deoxidising
hey guys 

i know this may seem like a simple question but i thought it best to seek advice from some of you guys that have been around the block and must have come across this before so any help will be greatly appreciated  Wink

i have just picked up a couple of second hand mains cables and the prongs on the silver plated plugs are all dirty and tarnished. I took a look inside and although nowhere near as bad, could do with a freshen up too. Not looked inside the IEC plug yet, need to look it up to make sure i dont damage it on disassemble. 

so my question is what is the best way of bringing the cables back to their optimal best?

do i simply give the prongs a gentle rub over with Silvo and assume the wire connections are ok at their contact points?

do i disassemble the plugs completely and clean them up with Silvo or similar (recommendations welcome) 
maybe even clean any silvo residue off afterwards with isopropyl alcohol?
i have a sonic cleaner but i dont think the silver plating will like that too much Smile

alternatively "insert your best solution here"

thanks again and excuse my ignorance   Smile
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
I wouldn't touch it with Silvo! It's probably OK but I don't know what's in it. Isopropyl alcohol is probably fine. Possibly very fine metal abrasive paper if it's really bad?
"Silver plating" suggests a thin coating so I wouldn't be aggressive on any rubbing. Also I believe any silver corrosion/tarnish isn't a problem regarding electric conductivity.
thank you for your input guys Big Grin

i'd imagine the plating wont be too thin seeing as the mains sockets have a fairly robust sprung contact mechanism

i think i will use a small amount of silvo and a gentle rub on the earth prong and see how it works
that way if all goes wrong it wont effect the performance of the cable at all
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
Caig Dexoit and plain old isopropyl alcohol are popular options.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
ive tried the isopropyl alcohol on the prongs but they seem to be caked in cr@p and it only touches the surface
i will use the isopropyl alcohol on the inside of the connectors where a light freshen up is all thats needed

thanks again for your input guys Big Grin

The Cotswolds England
(08-Nov-2015, 00:35)tyefighter Wrote: ive tried the isopropyl alcohol on the prongs but they seem to be caked in cr@p and it only touches the surface
i will use the isopropyl alcohol on the inside of the connectors where a light freshen up is all thats needed

thanks again for your input guys Big Grin

I second Antoine - Caig Deoxit works wonders to clean the gunk and dirt in connectors.
Oslo: sources: Mac Mini/Itunes/Audirvana,  glassfiber toslink/Mapleshade clearview USB to D200;
Double helix to Gallo Strada 2 with mapleshade stands, TR3 subwoofer.

Spain: Oppo 95 vacuumstate modded, Kimber select 1021, Linn Classik Movie Di to Gallo Solos through Goertz Python cable

cheers guys, ive done a great job with the power cables gently using silvo but will pick up some Caig Deoxit for future

The Cotswolds England