Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest update neutered my Phantoms
I must be the most unhappiest guy with the latest 1.4.X up date.

My Phantoms have gone (IMO) from being spectacular to a disappointment. From hero to zero.

Two issues:

Why do I have to turn them up?
One of the things that really impressed me about the Phantoms before this car crash of an update, was that I could listen at low levels and everything was resolved. Now I have to CRANK them up (to about 50-65) to get anything out of them. And that is even with modern bass heavy music. Goodness knows what I'm going to have to dial them up to for classical music? Before this update, I could listen to nearly every genre of music between 30-40. Now at those volumes, I can hardly hear anything.

My music server doesn't work anymore
I was streaming from my Meridian Soolos Core 15 using an ipad app. I had an optical going from an adaptor provided by Meridian that plugged into the Phantom and a RJ45 that plugged into my switch. Used to work a treat. Now that is broken.

As my system stands, I wish I had my B&W's back. The whole sound to me is now just mediocre. In fact I can't stand it now. If I heard it now, there is no way that I would have sold up everything to buy these.

My saving grace maybe that a spare Dialog I have, has the old firmware and will work with speakers. I don't know if a mis-match can like that can work, but I'll give it a go.

Just so you know, I was on 1.3.X which for me was a huge improvement on the first iteration and insanely better than what I have now Angry

Now, where is my eBay account..I might just have a listing to go up Sad  Angry
(07-Nov-2015, 17:29)stonedragon Wrote: I must be the most unhappiest guy with the latest 1.4.X up date.

My Phantoms have gone (IMO) from being spectacular to a disappointment. From hero to zero.

Two issues:

One of the things that really impressed me about the Phantoms before this car crash of an update, was that I could listen at low levels and everything was resolved. Now I have to CRANK them up (to about 50-65) to get anything out of them. And that is even with modern bass heavy music. Goodness knows what I'm going to have to dial them up to for classical music? Before this update, I could listen to nearly every genre of music between 30-40. Now at those volumes, I can hardly hear anything.

My music server doesn't work anymore
I was streaming from my Meridian Soolos Core 15 using an ipad app. I had an optical going from an adaptor provided by Meridian that plugged into the Phantom and a RJ45 that plugged into my switch. Used to work a treat. Now that is broken.

As my system stands, I wish I had my B&W's back. The whole sound to me is now just mediocre. In fact I can't stand it now. If I heard it now, there is no way that I would have sold up everything to buy these.

My saving grace maybe that a spare Dialog I have, has the old firmware and will work with speakers. I don't know if a mis-match can like that can work, but I'll give it a go.

Just so you know, I was on 1.3.X which for me was a huge improvement on the first iteration and insanely better than what I have now Angry

Now, where is my eBay account..I might just have a listing to go up Sad  Angry

None of those issues here !  The soundlevel-curve, although changed, is loud enough between 30-40. No network-problems either.

Sorry that I cannot confirm your issues.
Tried the good old full reset? Could do wonders.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Only better here, no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(07-Nov-2015, 17:29)stonedragon Wrote: My Phantoms have gone (IMO) from being spectacular to a disappointment. From hero to zero.

Two issues:

Now I have to CRANK them up (to about 50-65)

Yes, I have also found that I am setting the volume at a higher number. Where 35 was a pretty comfortable casual listening level before the update, I now have to have it around 45-50 for the same level of sound. The resolution is still as good but the scale seems recalibrated on mine.

No issues with streaming or connectivity here either. I use Bluetooth and optical into one of the phantoms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can´t help feeling that after the latest update I have actually lost some of that magical bass
Try a complete factory reset : first
modem,router, then dialog and after that the phantoms
I think they toned down the bass too much too. Mids/High are even better now than before.
(08-Nov-2015, 10:18)hydr Wrote: I think they toned down the bass too much too. Mids/High are even better now than before.

I don't think so
It feel a little bit strange that you have to have (white Phantom) 40-50 to just get them up to low levels. Otherwise no negative changes. Listening mostly via Optical but the same experience via spark. Is it the same for Silver users?