Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dev vs Linn Klimax Twin power amp
Any views on the above, the Linn would be partnered with an Akurate DSM (latest). 
So, what would you choose...Devialet 400 or Linn Akurate DSM/Klimax Twin?
This is my dilemma, I stream Qobuz and Hi Res music from my Mac Mini.
I need some help please!
I was all set for the Dev, but looking on here there seems to be more owners unhappy than happy.
What do you think?
Speakers are PMC 20.26
Dev 220 Pro/ATC scm40/Sony9000es/Roon/Mac Mini/Anthem 720 AVR/ATC C1 Center/M&k Tri-Pols/Sony U800/Sony 65A1
Well, you might want to consider that the number of 'unhappy' owners posting on here is possibly 30-40 out of a total Devialet user base of several thousand and the 'unhappy' owners typically aren't unhappy with SQ they're mainly unhappy with the way AIR works/doesn't work with their particular combination of computer, operating system etc. I don't mean to belittle these issues which must be extremely annoying to those who experience them but the majority of people, including me, don't have any significant problems using their Devialets.

If you use a good streamer like an Akurate DS with Devialet then it's unlikely that you will have any reason to be unhappy at all  Angel
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(07-Nov-2015, 21:51)PhilP Wrote: Well, you might want to consider that the number of 'unhappy' owners posting on here is possibly 30-40 out of a total Devialet user base of several thousand and the 'unhappy' owners typically aren't unhappy with SQ they're mainly unhappy with the way AIR works/doesn't work with their particular combination of computer, operating system etc. I don't mean to belittle these issues which must be extremely annoying to those who experience them but the majority of people, including me, don't have any significant problems using their Devialets.

If you use a good streamer like an Akurate DS with Devialet then it's unlikely that you will have any reason to be unhappy at all  Angel

Ah but there is the problem, I have to sell my superb DSM to fund the 400 and I was intending to use AIR Sad
Dev 220 Pro/ATC scm40/Sony9000es/Roon/Mac Mini/Anthem 720 AVR/ATC C1 Center/M&k Tri-Pols/Sony U800/Sony 65A1
(07-Nov-2015, 21:59)jukemark Wrote:
(07-Nov-2015, 21:51)PhilP Wrote: Well, you might want to consider that the number of 'unhappy' owners posting on here is possibly 30-40 out of a total Devialet user base of several thousand and the 'unhappy' owners typically aren't unhappy with SQ they're mainly unhappy with the way AIR works/doesn't work with their particular combination of computer, operating system etc. I don't mean to belittle these issues which must be extremely annoying to those who experience them but the majority of people, including me, don't have any significant problems using their Devialets.

Ah but there is the problem, I have to sell my superb DSM to fund the 400 and I was intending to use AIR Sad

I use iMac/AIR Wi-Fi but with an old version of OSX (10.6.8) with absolutely no issues at all.  Frank (f1eng) has posted on here that he uses an iMac/AIR with, I believe, Mavericks with no issues at all... and so have others.

Edit: also, if you've been happy using a wired connection between DSM and the rest of your system then do you really need to use AIR?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
That sounds encouraging!
I assumed I need AIR to stream Qobuz from my MBP?
Both the Mini and MBP run Ei Capitan...
The Mini and the Dev will be connected with Cat 6 running through the latest Time Capsule/Extreme.
AIR is the name for Devialet's streaming solution. It can use an ethernet or WiFi connection from a PC or Mac running the AIR driver and media player.

There's also the option of USB from PC/Mac into the Devialet. It doesn't use the AIR driver but USB Audio 2 drivers. USB needs tweaking to sound as good and better than AIR from the box.

AIR is not yet/officially supported on the latest versions of Windows and OS X. Devialet has not given any statement if/when these will be offically supported. There's a number of people that run into problems using AIR. Devialet is not helping these people properly and taking too long to solve their issues. No one here can predict if you will run into these issues. Perhaps you can agree to a trial with your dealer.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(07-Nov-2015, 22:29)jukemark Wrote: That sounds encouraging!
The Mini and the Dev will be connected with Cat 6 running through the latest Time Capsule/Extreme.

An alternative would be to stream Qobuz from your MBP using a USB or optical cable direct to the Devialet 

I have no idea how well AIR works with El Capitan... Maybe ask on here whether anyone else has tried it Smile

Another option would be to buy a cheaper streamer like an Aurender N100h or X100L (excellent SQ - perhaps as good as or maybe better than an Akurate) together with a Devialet 200. I don't think you would be disappointed. Sadly Aurender support Tidal but not Qobuz. The Auralic  Aries does support Qobuz. as always, home demo advised Wink
(07-Nov-2015, 22:40)Antoine Wrote: AIR is the name for Devialet's streaming solution. It can use an ethernet or WiFi connection from a PC or Mac running the AIR driver and media player.

There's also the option of USB from PC/Mac into the Devialet. It doesn't use the AIR driver but USB Audio 2 drivers. USB needs tweaking to sound as good and better than AIR from the box.

AIR is not yet/officially supported on the latest versions of Windows and OS X. Devialet has not given any statement if/when these will be offically supported. There's a number of people that run into problems using AIR. Devialet is not helping these people properly and taking too long to solve their issues. No one here can predict if you will run into these issues. Perhaps you can agree to a trial with your dealer.

My dealer is able to loan me a 200 just to see how the streaming goes, so I may do that. Trouble is, they are 250 miles away! Ethernet will be best for me as the Mini is in another room, so hopefully that will be ok, its wireless streaming Qobuz from my MBP that may give problems with AIR. Having said that I have a very strong WiFi signal in the room and I have never had any problems with dropouts on the Linn streaming Hi Res (192).
(07-Nov-2015, 22:41)PhilP Wrote:
(07-Nov-2015, 22:29)jukemark Wrote: That sounds encouraging!

An alternative would be to stream Qobuz from your MBP using a USB or optical cable direct to the Devialet 

I have no idea how well AIR works with El Capitan... Maybe ask on here whether anyone else has tried it Smile

Another option would be to buy a cheaper streamer like an Aurender N100h or X100L (excellent SQ - perhaps as good as or maybe better than an Akurate) together with a Devialet 200. I don't think you would be disappointed. Sadly Aurender support Tidal but not Qobuz. The Auralic  Aries does support Qobuz. as always, home demo advised Wink
I want to stream wirelessly, its bad enough not being able to do it from my iPhone or iPad. And the Aureder is out if it doesn't do Qobuz. 
I could just keep my Linn and use a 200 perhaps. The Linn sounds great and never misses a beat, that includes the software and Apps too Smile
I used to have a PC, NAS drive into a Linn Majik DS and Perreaux 200i. There was never any issues with white noise just the occasional drop out. Just the same when switching to an iMac and iTunes.
Getting the Devialet 200 the SQ improved slightly especially in the lower freq but then you get white noise. It's not too much of a problem as I get an hour before it happens and switching off and on clears it for another hour.