Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
last mile ethernet
Hi all,

Yesterday I made a change in my system: the last mile ethernet cable connecting my router to D800 is now a 0.75m Audioquest Diamond, changed from Vodka. Of course connections were treated by Stabilant22 before it went in. I connect to the router wirelessly from my streaming MacBook. And the router is grounded to Entreq.

Whoever uses ethernet as part of their playback system should at least try to hear this cable in their system.

Yes. It is absurdly expensive. So this is not a "recommendation". Just a suggestion to see what your system is capable of.

And yes, it is very different than Vodka. Vodka requires some glasses of good vodka to sound similarSmile

A comment from a fellow music lover present during the change: Now all the instruments playing seem to have their own amps and speakers!

Happy listening,

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
I also have the Audioquest Diamond ethernet cables in my system.

A few months ago I had the opportunity to compare a range of ethernet cables back to back in my own setup: Chord Sarum TA, Chord Indigo TA, AQ Vodka and AQ Diamond. At the time I was using both Chord Sarum and Indigo cables (one of each) to connect NAS to switch (in my study) and switch to MiND (in my listening room).

The Vodka cable was surprisingly good and pretty much at the same level as the Chord ones (which were quite a bit more expensive!). Good all-round solid performer, basically what you'd expect from a decent ethernet cable.

The Diamond however took things to a whole new level. The soundstage seemed to widen considerably and there was a perception of more micro details and better musicality. But the soundstage thing was what really surprised me, I really hadn't expected that from an ethernet cable.

The result was that I sold my Chord cables and bought two AQ Diamonds.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
So I guess I have to update my Vodka cable then! Big Grin Wink
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
$3495 for the 5 meters cable that I need .... seriously guys? Sad
You could try the TotalDac cables:

http://www.totaldac.com/ethernet_cable-eng.htm

Their USB cable has received good feedback:

http://www.totaldac.com/USB_cable-eng.htm

The improvement appears to be due to the filtering.
(16-Aug-2014, 09:25)nfnc Wrote: You could try the TotalDac cables:

http://www.totaldac.com/ethernet_cable-eng.htm

Their USB cable has received good feedback:

http://www.totaldac.com/USB_cable-eng.htm

The improvement appears to be due to the filtering.

TotalDac is actually a very interesting company and their DACs have been getting rave reviews. I think it's very revealing that they have developed an ethernet product that filters high frequency noise (their main business is in building DACs). Looking at this company and their website I don't think you could accuse them of selling snake oil! They seem very engineering-focused and seem offer continuous upgrades to their customers. And at 300 euros or so their cable is quite a bit cheaper than the offerings of other companies.

If I hadn't already invested in the AQ cables I'd be inclined to give this a try.

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Indeed.

Bit OT but it would have been interesting to have had the option to use the TotalDac discrete R2R ladder DAC (or even BB PCM 1704) instead of the BB PCM1792 in the Devialet.
(16-Aug-2014, 19:30)nfnc Wrote: Indeed.

Bit OT but it would have been interesting to have had the option to use the TotalDac discrete R2R ladder DAC (or even BB PCM 1704) instead of the BB PCM1792 in the Devialet.

Can anyone translate the moral of the story from this thread to English?

http://www.forum-audiophile.fr/impressio...52766.html
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
OK ! It's for me ! :-)

Some audiophilefr members and Jean-François Bacquet, the designer of Klinger Favre (french loudspeakers and amps brand) organized some listening sessions :

Totaldac Server + Devialet 800 + Klinger Favre Studio 30
vs
Totaldac Server + Totaldac Dual Dac + Orpheus Lab 3M monoblocs + Klinger Favre Studio 30

In fact, the Devialet 800 had been replaced by Devialet 250, as they didn't find a good link between master and companion…
After this sessions, Aerki (the Devialet 800 owner) did some tests between coaxial links, and found that the Crystal cable delivered with the companion was the worst of the three cables tested… and the SQ-Audio Pharos was the best one as it has a true 75 ohms connection… and costs 3 times less than the Crystal one ! And some other tests will follow !!!

About the Devialet / Totaldac comparison, here is the result :
- the Devialet 250 is a real good sounding solution, especially with the Totaldac Server
- but all the listeners agreed to say that the Totaldac Server + Dual Dac is better on all aspects (bass response, resolution, sound staging, dynamic…).

Even Aerki told that in order to improve his system, he should buy the Dual Dac… But it's 9900 Euros more !

What could be interesting is to have the feedback of Aerki when he'll find the good link between master / companion… I think that 800 could bring some improvement as right and left signal have their own DAC circuit...
(18-Aug-2014, 16:29)darthsteph Wrote: OK ! It's for me ! :-)

Some audiophilefr members and Jean-François Bacquet, the designer of Klinger Favre (french loudspeakers and amps brand) organized some listening sessions :

Totaldac Server + Devialet 800 + Klinger Favre Studio 30
vs
Totaldac Server + Totaldac Dual Dac + Orpheus Lab 3M monoblocs + Klinger Favre Studio 30

In fact, the Devialet 800 had been replaced by Devialet 250, as they didn't find a good link between master and companion…
After this sessions, Aerki (the Devialet 800 owner) did some tests between coaxial links, and found that the Crystal cable delivered with the companion was the worst of the three cables tested… and the SQ-Audio Pharos was the best one as it has a true 75 ohms connection… and costs 3 times less than the Crystal one ! And some other tests will follow !!!

About the Devialet / Totaldac comparison, here is the result :
- the Devialet 250 is a real good sounding solution, especially with the Totaldac Server
- but all the listeners agreed to say that the Totaldac Server + Dual Dac is better on all aspects (bass response, resolution, sound staging, dynamic…).

Even Aerki told that in order to improve his system, he should buy the Dual Dac… But it's 9900 Euros more !

What could be interesting is to have the feedback of Aerki when he'll find the good link between master / companion… I think that 800 could bring some improvement as right and left signal have their own DAC circuit...

Thank you for doing this Steph! Smile Actually it would be great if Aerki could join us to discuss the digital link and of course the totaldac solutions!

Guillaume

UK