Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker cable to tame brightness?
(17-Nov-2015, 09:45)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Hi Womaz,

By far the best money I ever spent on my system was buying Jim Smith's book Get Better Sound. It's US$35.- plus postage. If you read this book and learn how to set up your system properly you will find that your room and set up have by far (VERY far) the largest impact on your sound. This doesn't mean you will get great sound by buying the book; You will need to do a hell of a lot of work. And it's not much fun to be honest. But I assure you, once you get it right you will never look back and you won't be thinking about what cables to buy. You'll be too busy enjoying your music Smile

I agree, great and honest advice!

Edit; although finally getting really satisfying results can be addictive for some perfectionists resulting in wanting even more. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
I know there are a couple of threads on this same topic regarding brightness. My ears are very sensitive to brightness. I don't like it.

I wouldn't necessarily classify that as too revealing, as that might certainly apply to the other frequency ranges as well, too much bass, too much midrange....

Perhaps it is an equipment issue, but as echoed by others, I would start first with the room as opposed to using equipment to resolve the issue.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(18-Nov-2015, 14:54)Womaz Wrote: Ah well it was worth a try but van damme canle made no difference at all. Maybe even made it a tad brighter. Also definitely lost a bit of clarity with vocals. At least now I believe cables make a difference albeit a subtle one in this case

I would always give new cables a chance to bed in before making a judgement like this. My current speaker cables (Chord Sarum) sounded very bright for many hundreds of hours. Indeed they sounded so bad at first that I thought there was a problem with them resulting in my contacting the manufacturer. 

They are pretty much perfect now. It is a known issue with Chord Sarum; they need LOTS of running in. 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(19-Nov-2015, 13:47)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(18-Nov-2015, 14:54)Womaz Wrote: Ah well it was worth a try but van damme canle made no difference at all. Maybe even made it a tad brighter. Also definitely lost a bit of clarity with vocals. At least now I believe cables make a difference albeit a subtle one in this case

I would always give new cables a chance to bed in before making a judgement like this. My current speaker cables (Chord Sarum) sounded very bright for many hundreds of hours. Indeed they sounded so bad at first that I thought there was a problem with them resulting in my contacting the manufacturer. 

They are pretty much perfect now. It is a known issue with Chord Sarum; they need LOTS of running in. 

Guillaume

Only problem is I got them off Amazon and I needed to get them returned within 14 days so not sure that would have been long enough.
Thanks for input though
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(19-Nov-2015, 13:58)Womaz Wrote:
(19-Nov-2015, 13:47)GuillaumeB Wrote:

Guillaume

Only problem is I got them off Amazon and I needed to get them returned within 14 days so not sure that would have been long enough.
Thanks for input though

What speaker cable brands does your Melco dealer do? Could he not lend you some stuff to try out for fun? 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Yes he has offered to let me trial the next Tellerium Q cable. The Blue Diamond cable as it is supposed to have a mellower sound. The cost though is just under £700, so I am keen to look at other options first. If it worked and did what I required I would be more than willing to pay that. I just feel a speaker cable will not do what I would like it to do as my system is really quite bright now.

Mind its a no risk trial so if all other options fail i can go back to him, i just do not want to mess him around.

I am also looking at some bass trap panels with a company and from what i can gather this could give me better results.

I can tame the treble , using the tome controls but its always at the cost of something else, usually dynamics I find. i think i do like that lively in your face sound signature, but the addition of the Melco has just pushed that a little too far on certain music now.

The frustrating thing is I am so close to having exactly the sound I like. I did not think the Melco would beat AIR, but it did and thats why i am keen to work with the Dev/Melco pairing
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
I am jinxed, the store says it does not offer refunds on cables that are made to measure. It was not made to measure, i ordered it from their amazon marketplace store and it was already available.........aaaarrrggghhh Angry Angry
(17-Nov-2015, 09:45)Pim van Vliet Wrote: Hi Womaz,

By far the best money I ever spent on my system was buying Jim Smith's book Get Better Sound. It's US$35.- plus postage. If you read this book and learn how to set up your system properly you will find that your room and set up have by far (VERY far) the largest impact on your sound. This doesn't mean you will get great sound by buying the book; You will need to do a hell of a lot of work. And it's not much fun to be honest. But I assure you, once you get it right you will never look back and you won't be thinking about what cables to buy. You'll be too busy enjoying your music Smile

Ordered at $57 as the postage to uk was quite a bit. I might not solve anything but at least I will understand a lot more
I have been using the Van Damme 4mm blue cables for a good 6 months now, and they are better (for me) that way more expensive Audioquest cables I started out with, but they had only a little effect on the the brightness you mentioned (with my Triangle Deltas), but enough to make reproduction a little less wearing...

BUT, the biggest and quite dramatic effect on brightness came when I swapped from 'Air' to USB and added two jitterbugs + the recon unit! Chalk & Cheese! the whole reproduction of any track I care to play is more 'rounded', warmer, sweeter... didn't expect such a change!

I now have some SoundCare Superspike stick-ons to play with this weekend, so I will be trying this mod by placing under each D400 unit to see what happens!

Still waiting for my Linear PS from HDPlex ordered way back early October... Gad! - think they are coming by Oxen across the continents!
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.