Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speaker cable to tame brightness?
(15-Nov-2015, 18:53)Hifi_swlon Wrote: The Van Damme is about £5/m. ;-)

http://www.vdctrading.com/shop/van-damme...per-metre/

Or there's a 6mm at about 8 quid a metre.

If it's good enough for recording studios and PMC, it's got to be worth a shot....

Can you get these terminated with banana plugs? I would not want to do this myself. If so it may be worth a punt.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Hi Womaz,

By far the best money I ever spent on my system was buying Jim Smith's book Get Better Sound. It's US$35.- plus postage. If you read this book and learn how to set up your system properly you will find that your room and set up have by far (VERY far) the largest impact on your sound. This doesn't mean you will get great sound by buying the book; You will need to do a hell of a lot of work. And it's not much fun to be honest. But I assure you, once you get it right you will never look back and you won't be thinking about what cables to buy. You'll be too busy enjoying your music Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
@Womaz

Plenty of people will supply Van Damme cables terminated. Mark Grant cables are a good, reliable source of cables:

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index....cts_id=398 (but may be out of stock?)

I also had a quick look at Amazon and saw the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Van-Damme-Studio...ker+cables
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(17-Nov-2015, 10:43)PhilP Wrote: @Womaz

Plenty of people will supply Van Damme cables terminated.  Mark Grant cables are a good, reliable source of cables:

http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/index....cts_id=398  (but may be out of stock?)

I also had a quick look at Amazon and saw the following:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Van-Damme-Studio...ker+cables

Thanks for this , I have always been really cynical about what effects a speaker cable can have. In the description it says suitable for a system with a touch of brightness so may help. It's on Amazon too so will get a full refund if it makes no difference, so worth a go
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Womaz, I'd suggest the hifi series over the blue or black - I did a lot of research before I bought…. The hifi are considered the best quality - Studios need heavy insulation and also lower costs because they have to use loads (generally the blue), and on the road they need them to be tougher (black). The hifi have the best quality copper, and also are very nice looking in the lounge, especially if you have a wooden floor. I went 4mm which I'm sure is totally adequate, but there is a 6mm which may or may not carry more signal, all these things are very debatable over such short distances but prices are very cheap in either case.

I think vcd trading (original link where i bought mine) will also terminate for you - just give them a call/email. They supply studios etc, so much less foo and very practical.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Too late was the cry Tongue
I went for the blue after reading the descriptions of both. The Hifi model was to give increased detail, the blue was suitable for a brighter system.

Like I say I am not sure they will make any difference but there is a 14 day return policy so it's worth a go
Haha, am sure any will be fine, they're all from the same house. 14 day return is great. If only we could do that on speakers…..

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

You should have a look at the Bryston online store, they offer some good quality speaker cables (they also carry other cables) and you can choose configuration, length, termination, etc.

https://store.bryston.com/analog-audio-cables.html
To be honest I am starting to think that's it's not the cable I need to replace.......it's the speakers themselves.
Devialet, Melco and 23s ? Maybe too revealing. No idea and learning all the time
Ah well it was worth a try but van damme canle made no difference at all. Maybe even made it a tad brighter. Also definitely lost a bit of clarity with vocals. At least now I believe cables make a difference albeit a subtle one in this case