Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo vs dual mono (250/800, 200/400)
(16-Aug-2014, 19:03)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(16-Aug-2014, 09:28)Mikeeo Wrote: Hi,

I am still waiting, I think, for my slave to burn in as I am waiting for that homogenous sound picture I had with the 200. Now to the point: Yesterday I disconnected the system and configured the master into a 200 again, just to listen. Wow, the homogenous soundscape is back! It is now clear, to me and wife, that there is something with the slave/400 that doesn't give this feeling. With the 400 we always feel there is 'unbalance' ie one channel (master) is more open and liquid in presentation and the slave section a bit restrained. I am not talking about balance as this is spot on in 0,0 dB but more that the slave sound less open or even like another amp.
However it is clear that the 400 is more dynamic, detailed, clean etc specially the top freq.

I really do not how to describe this but the word is perhaps inhomogeneous (400 set-up).

I do not have 500 hours yet on the slave as this was the time it took for the 200 to bed in, if that is now the reason.

I will give the 200 slave some more time and also test another digi cable between the units.

Anyone else sharing my experience?

/Mike

Hi

This might seem like a really silly question but are you sure your units are configured to play in stereo mode?

When configuring the units to dual mono the configurator automatically defaults the speakers configuration to mono mix - see attached image. Equally make sure that the correct unit points at the correct speaker...

Might be teaching you to suck eggs but I made this mistake myself once! Tongue

Guillaume

Guillaume,

I now sucked some eggs but my ? remains! Kindly tell me what setting is correct in terms of setting the 'Mix' should it be 'mono' or 'left' and 'right, respectively? My master and companion had L and R as default and not mono but did you 800 guys have Mono?

Confused!

Until a fully moved to the new home I only use my 200 companion as full amplifier (master i sound at sleep waiting for the move Wink)

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
If you selected one Devialet in the configurator then added another, originally the only way to configure a dual mono, you got both in mono and had to change them to L&R, but I noticed when selecting "800" as my amp I get the two with link cables showing and master left, slave right when I did it last.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Some interesting stuff posted here, however......... I was hoping to read about some positive experiences people have had going from single stereo to dual mono. Most of the posts seem to be related to problems people have had with dual mono!

Makes me wonder if I should stick with my nice little trouble free 250!
(21-Aug-2014, 20:13)Confused Wrote: Some interesting stuff posted here, however......... I was hoping to read about some positive experiences people have had going from single stereo to dual mono. Most of the posts seem to be related to problems people have had with dual mono!

Makes me wonder if I should stick with my nice little trouble free 250!

Every rose has its thorn...

Go mono !!!

Smile
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
Hi All,

Well, I still stand to that the 400 is more fast, detailed, quiet, effortless dynamics, but the homogenous feeling is not there as with the 200. The only reason for this I feel is the link between the units or the way the companion treats the signal from the master.
I now run my companion as stereo 200 and this is also homogenous like the master, compared to the master it still has some running in.
There is something fishy with the linking business. Dev seem to know this as they fixed some 'latency' issues with the 7.1.1, well I thought 7.1.0 was better.
My next step is to try the bi-amping set-up and perhaps play around with the filter settings.

Will report back later/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Interesting to note that every post here so far relates to 200 vs 400. Does anyone here any experience of the move from 250 to 800? (or 240 / 500)
(27-Aug-2014, 18:03)Confused Wrote: Interesting to note that every post here so far relates to 200 vs 400. Does anyone here any experience of the move from 250 to 800? (or 240 / 500)

I just went from 250 to 800. I found no difference in the homogeneous nature of the sound, but just about every aspect was greatly improved. Like others I noticed a slight change in the sibilance handling at 7.1.1, I wasn't sure it was worse, but it was different. I don't notice it on the 800. Imaging, dynamics, overall 'realistic' tone and sense of ease all greatly improved. I didn't notice too much difference in the 2 channels either, so maybe I'm not noticing any burn-in issues. FWIW.
@smokejumper - Interesting stuff! It's good to hear the more positive experiences. To get context regarding this, can I ask what speakers you are using?
(28-Aug-2014, 17:29)Confused Wrote: @smokejumper - Interesting stuff! It's good to hear the more positive experiences. To get context regarding this, can I ask what speakers you are using?

I use ART Impressions, now an older design, not likely to make it into SAM.
http://www.audioevidence.com/art.php
Mine are not red though :-)
Tasty speakers mr Smokejumper! You can't beat 12" bass drivers for proper air movement, and with 22hz at -3db, I don't think lack of SAM is too much of an issue in this case. I was kind of wondering if you had the kind of speaker that might benefit from power / headroom, I guess these fit the bill!