Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Airserver, IMO a great app for Airplay
As JRiver refuses to implement AirPlay functionality and can't integrate Spotify I went looking for an alternative. A few days ago I found an application (Mac and Windows versions available) called Airserver and I think it's great so I thought I'd share. Smile

Airserver is an AirPlay receiver program which allows you to stream sound (but also mirror your display) to your computer from your iPad or iPhone.

I use Spotify (Premium) for casual listening and exploring new music and before I used to rely on Remoteless which remote controls the Spotify client installed on my playback PC connected to the Devialet. This works in a very basic way and has quite some limitations and issues. Using the official Spotify app on an iPad gives you a much better user experience. With Airserver you can use AirPlay and select the playback machine. In Airserver you select the output playback device, in my case the USB input of the Devialet et voila 'perfect' playback and user experience.

Airserver differs from other AirPlay receiver software (like XBMC for example) in that it allows you to setup a 'lossless quality audio receiver' which mimics an Airport Express. Once this option is enabled, you will see two AirPlay endpoints available on your iDevice. One regular AirPlay receiver and one audio-only receiver suffixed with an "Ex" in the end. Streaming to the audio-only part of AirServer forces the iOS device to send audio in lossless quality as opposed to AAC compressed audio.

For "critical" listening of CD rips and high res content I of course still use JRiver/JRemote with Devialet AIR ethernet but this is great for Spotify, Youtube etc. and it is always active/resident (resides in the systemtray) so always ready when I need it.

You can check it out on: http://www.airserver.com There is a 7 day trial available. (I am in no way connected to the makers or business BTW Smile)
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
For my Windows 2012 R2 server setup I needed a lean and mean Airplay receiver program because Airserver needed additional windows components installed that are by default present in Windows 8.1 but not in Server 2012.

I found Shairport4w does the job as well and it's 100% freeware. See: http://sourceforge.net/projects/shairport4w/
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands