Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
What gear did you trade or sell to get Devialet?
(25-Mar-2022, 21:20)Pim Wrote: I have to ask; what was the difference in sound? I’m asking because I would think a Boulder setup would leave very little to want for.

Haha, fair question! And the simple answer is I can’t really answer it as the change from Boulder to Devialet was part of a complete system upgrade including the speakers. It was brought about by a number of factors not all of which had to do with sound quality.

So I never compared the individual components head-to-head but I can say that the new system taken as a whole sounded better, particularly on the streaming input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(26-Mar-2022, 07:52)struts Wrote:
(25-Mar-2022, 21:20)Pim Wrote: I have to ask; what was the difference in sound? I’m asking because I would think a Boulder setup would leave very little to want for.

Haha, fair question!  And the simple answer is I can’t really answer it as the change from Boulder to Devialet was part of a complete system upgrade including the speakers.  It was brought about by a number of factors not all of which had to do with sound quality.

So I never compared the individual components head-to-head but I can say that the new system taken as a whole sounded better, particularly on the streaming input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent point.  Evaluating Devialet sound quality has to be taken as a entire setup.  Since the Expert/Expert Pro is a totally integrated solution,  it's not easy to compare the Devialet to a given amp, since the amp is connected to a set of separate components, all using interconnects.    How does one evaluate such a disperse setup, with many variables,  and then compare that to a Expert/Expert Pro setup?

I've heard systems that cost significantly more than the price of say an Expert Pro 220, and didn't come close sonically to the Expert Pro 220.
1, ATC SCM 40 V2 speakers,  SVS PC4000 subwoofer,  Devialet Expert Pro 1000, ,  Ultrasone Edition 15, Ultrasone Edition 15 Veritas,  ,Chord Hugo TT, Magnetar UBR-800, GeerFab DBoB, OTL Headphone amp

2. Dynaudio Focus 360 , Devialet Expert Pro 220, Reavon UBR X-110, GeerFab DBoB
My route to Devialet was slightly strange.
Here is my "story".
For referance this is my computer setup. (Where i spend most of my free time)

For many years i used a Denon PMA-50 with some Dali Lektor 1.
I wanted to try headphones, so i got some Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro.
Then i bought a Burson Audio Conductor 3XP for the headphones.
Had to get a small poweramp for my speakers, so i got a XTZ Edge A2-300.
For my TV audio i use a Sennheiser AMBEO Soundbar. Wanted a subwoofer, so i bought a KEF KC62.
During research for the subwoofer i fell in love with KEF. Tought to myself if the Sennheiser ever broke i would replace it with KEF LS50 Wireless II.
Could not shake the urge to upgrade, so i ended up buing the KEF LS50 Meta's to replace the Dali's.

I did not end up using my headphones as much as i tought, and the interface on the Burson is terrible. (to fine volume control and many clicks to change output/input)
So i wanted to get a new amplifier. Saw a used Devialet Expert 220 Pro, but the seller removed the ad.
After a while the ad went back up, and i contacted the seller.
He was unsure about selling it, and removed the ad again.
Later i sent him a message that if he was interested in selling, i wanted to buy. (Looked at different amplifiers in the meantime)
Finally got a yes from the seller. We agreed on a date, and i drove 7 hours (each way) to pick up the amplifier.

So things i sold to finance the 220 Pro.
-Burson Audio Conductor 3XP
-XTZ Edge A2-300
-Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
-Canon RF 70-200 f/2.8 (camera lens)
-Godox V1 (camera flash)
Sennheiser AMBEO Soundbar KEF KC62  |  Devialet Expert 250 Pro KEF LS50 Meta  |  KEF LSX