Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding second d200
Hello,

Thanks everyone for all the great info on this site.

I have an opportunity to buy a demo d200 to go to dual mono. What will I need to do to turn this into a companion, cabling, configuration, etc.? I have not found this information on the website, perhaps my error.

Thanks in advance for any help
At a minimum you will need a digital cable ( with RCA to RCA connectors ) to connect the two, though some use a digital cable with XLR on one side and RCA on the other.

You will need to run the configurator on the Devialet site to set them up as a D400 and after making one the master and the other the slave, you all need to download the updated configuration for each unit to the SD card for the respective unit and re start the Devialets.

If you are going to use inputs on both Devialets you will need to use a "link" cable as well.

I only use the inputs on the master so I don't use the link cable. If you decide you want to use inputs on both I suspect you may have to purchase the link cable as I am not sure if it is included with the D200 when bought alone. I do know it is included if you purchase a companion separately.

Let me know if that helps, and here is another link on the topic from this site.

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=503

Barr
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Sorry for my tardy reply. Thanks for your information.

Unfortunately the referred to thread had little or no useful information, dealing with the addition of a companion. Since I am adding a full d200, do I remove the wifi board? What must be done to make a full d200 function as a companion? What is the preferred cable link between them?

I have not before had good luck with useful replies from Devialet, so I ask here. With Air problems and the lack of communication from Devialet, I almost wish this was not so good a sounding product to make me forgo looking elsewhere.

Thanks
(26-Nov-2015, 03:43)Zorbon Wrote: …. I have not found this information on the website, perhaps my error.

On Devialetchat?  You might not have looked very hard Wink

All the information you need is in post #2.  You need the appropriate cable and configuration - that's it. No hardware changes or removal of anything.

To make a D400 you can either use a 200 companion model, or another 'full' D200.  The latter is usually more expensive but since you seem to have a deal is probably the best plan.  It's also good for resale as you have two full D200's if the time comes.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(03-Dec-2015, 12:37)Zorbon Wrote: Unfortunately the referred to thread had little or no useful information, dealing with the addition of a companion.  Since I am adding a full d200, do I remove the wifi board?

I would expect it's pretty much the same procedure whether you have a "full" 200 or a companion, and that you don't need to remove the wifi board but should leave it disabled (in the configuration) on the companion.

(03-Dec-2015, 12:37)Zorbon Wrote: What must be done to make a full d200 function as a companion? 

Probably nothing special other than use the configurator to build a slave (companion) configuration for it, and load it via the SD card.

(03-Dec-2015, 12:37)Zorbon Wrote: What is the preferred cable link between them?  

The options for the main link are either RCA-RCA or RCA-XLR.  You'll need a different configuration for the companion depending on which you choose.  It's a matter of personal taste which is preferred, though many people here seem to like the RCA-XLR configuration better.

If you want to use additional inputs on the companion, I think you'll also need a trigger cable between the two units (not supplied by Devialet).  Others here may be in a better position to advise you on that set-up, as I haven't used it.

Hope that helps...

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks I will retread and set up as instructed. Digital coax to link d200's, leave the innards alone, perhaps configurator will help me be sure which speaker outputs to use. I assume one right amp one left with corresponding speaker outputs.

Again thanks.
(03-Dec-2015, 12:51)Zorbon Wrote: Thanks I will retread and set up as instructed.  Digital coax to link d200's, leave the innards alone, perhaps configurator will help me be sure which speaker outputs to use.  I assume one right amp one left with corresponding speaker outputs.

Again thanks.

Unless I've misread/misunderstood, you might be on the wrong track with your speaker connections.  You should configure both amps to be in mono mode, then connect the speakers between the two red terminals on each amp.  That is, for the amp that's configured as the left channel (usually the master, IIRC) your left speaker should be connected between the two red terminals on that amp.  Likewise for your right speaker on the other amp.  This is shown by the configurator when you switch to dual-mono.  It looks odd at first but you'll get used to it...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Yes, Thumb is right. I would suggest you spend half an hour or so playing with the configurator, making sure you get it set up as a dual mono D400 set up. The dual mono configurator is slightly quirky but quite good when you get used to it, and it does provide an excellent visualisation of how everything should be set up. I have never quite got used to using the two positive speaker connections on each amp! I have been told that you can still get sound out of the amp using the positive and negative speaker posts in a dual mono set-up, but although this works as such, sound quality is much reduced. So be careful to follow the speaker connections exactly as shown in the configurator visualisation!
Thanks to all. The speaker connections do seem odd.

Off to do dual mono!
You should be fine. Just keep volume low at first.

For now just connect with the RCA - RCA coax cable between the two units if that is what you have.

Take the time to review the configuration options, set one as master, one as slave. You can choose which unit is LEFT and which is RIGHT for speakers.

Authorize one remote to control the units.

I don't know how many and what type of inputs you will want into the Devialet, but if it is such that they can all plug into master then you do not need the "link" cable.

You will download a configuration for the master and slave units to an SD card. One for each. You need to be sure to download separately the configuration for master, save to SD card, and then download configuration for slave.

Then with the Devialets off, insert the proper SD card into each. I would recommend turning on the master first and let it load. The turn on the slave and let it load.

The Devialet display will indicate with is master and slave.

Take your time on connecting the speakers properly to each.

Beat of luck! Let us know how you fair.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US