Poll: 2 silver phantoms vs L'ensemble Post Poll
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
2 silver phantoms
71.43%
15 71.43%
L'ensemble
28.57%
6 28.57%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2 silver phantoms vs l'ensemble
Like me the poll stands at a 50/50 split   Undecided
(03-Dec-2015, 09:27)ZoMan Wrote: Like me the poll stands at a 50/50 split   Undecided

Are you familiar with the concept of a coin toss? Confused

You never mentioned your location.  Is there really no way of getting some kind of audition somewhere?
This largely indicates that there is no such thing as "best". They both have the Devialet neutral sound, and whichever route you choose you either will not have the Phantom's bass, or the detailed treble of ribbon tweeters elsewhere.
One poster on here did once inform me that he far preferred his Ensemble. Can't remember who.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Got to demo the two systems :-)

There is indeed no "best". 

The phantom system has a wow factor like nothing I have tried before (looks, unbelievable bass, and the way the woofers move make it look like "Living, Breathing Music Robot" described in the techcrunch article). L'ensemble on the other hand sounds like a very very good hifi system. 

The poll has, however, swung unambiguously towards the phantom --thanks to all who voted --

I would live happily ever after with either but right now the slight edge is to the L'ensemble (52/48). Coin toss next week :-)
If they could price the L'ensemble at the Phantom's level, that would be something. But the Phantoms is probably the first wider consumer product that they intend to position penetrate to the upscale consumer consciousness. L'ensemble is probably more of a 'hifi enthusiast' product. Unfortunately this is probably right. With the l'ensemble, it seems that they could have just bypassed the Phantom all together if one were to do just 2 channel. Really the Phantom is probably underpriced for the amount of engineering and production cost relative to other Devialet products. A month ago, I would not have possibly said this but the more I think about it, the more clear it becomes that the Phantom is quite remarkable in what it seeks to do.
I have both. If I like to hear a real hifi system, I hear with the Ensemble. I have compared both system under identical room terms, for me the Ensemble is much better.
(03-Dec-2015, 09:15)ZoMan Wrote: Hi Damon,

Thanks for this very thoughtful response. 

Most of my music resides on a NAS, in addition I will be using a streaming service (tidal or spotify). 

Internet radio is definitely important

Try qobuz, sounds the best
(03-Dec-2015, 09:15)ZoMan Wrote: Hi Damon,

Thanks for this very thoughtful response. 

Most of my music resides on a NAS, in addition I will be using a streaming service (tidal or spotify). 

Internet radio is definitely important

Try qobuz, sounds the best
(06-Dec-2015, 20:39)midi Wrote: I have both. If I like to hear a real hifi system, I hear with the Ensemble. I have compared both system under identical room terms, for me the Ensemble is much better.

Can you elaborate?  Trebles, mids, highs, resolution speed, dynamic range - or anything you can observe.  Is there anything (besides convenience) that the Phantoms do better in?

You are probably the best person to comment on this as you have both under identical conditions.  I assume same source also? 

Thanks!
(06-Dec-2015, 20:39)midi Wrote: I have both. If I like to hear a real hifi system, I hear with the Ensemble. I have compared both system under identical room terms, for me the Ensemble is much better.

You are just what the doctor ordered :-), please say more

As it appears you have kept both, what are you "using" the phantom for (as in given that the ensemble is much better, what about the phantom made them keepers)