Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
totaldac D1 server
Did a little bit of experimenting with playing tracks off a USB stick, sounded equally good although didn't do any direct A/B comparisons with the NAS.

When Rufus is here tomorrow we'll look at this a bit more closely.

I did go back to A+/AIR though... and went backwards and forwards a few times. Tongue

AIR is excellent, no doubt about it. But the totaldac is bringing something extra, I'm convinced of this. The timbre of instruments seem a bit more real/live and there is a quietness (ultra black backgrounds)to the presentation which encourages the micro dynamics. It shouts a bit less at you and draws you in a bit more. I suppose the tones just feel right. The positioning of instruments seems more resolved too. There is some additional definition too, in surprising places. Cool

Anyway I could go on and on. It's terribly subjective I know and for many AIR will be perfect, and for good reason! I thought it was pretty excellent coming from the MiND. I just think the totaldac is doing something else and it's rather special. Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(29-Aug-2014, 19:38)GuillaumeB Wrote: Did a little bit of experimenting with playing tracks off a USB stick, sounded equally good although didn't do any direct A/B comparisons with the NAS.

I did go back to A+/AIR though... and went backwards and forwards a few times. Tongue

AIR is excellent, no doubt about it. But the totaldac is bringing something extra, I'm convinced of this. The timbre of instruments seem a bit more real/live and there is a quietness (ultra black backgrounds)to the presentation which encourages the micro dynamics. It shouts a bit less at you and draws you in a bit more. I suppose the tones just feel right. The positioning of instruments seems more resolved too. There is some additional definition too, in surprising places. Cool

Anyway I could go on and on. It's terribly subjective I know and for many AIR will be perfect, and for good reason! I thought it was pretty excellent coming from the MiND. I just think the totaldac is doing something else and it's rather special. Smile

Guillaume

Boys and their toys Smile btw : Are there any woman on this forum ? I thought there was a gender-gap in IT, but based on observations in this forum, HiFi is obviously worse.

On a serious note : I would really appreciate it if you could compare the sound of dedicated off-the-shelf PC/Jriver config with the Aries and the Totaldac Server.
(30-Aug-2014, 00:05)Georgethesixth Wrote:
(29-Aug-2014, 19:38)GuillaumeB Wrote: Did a little bit of experimenting with playing tracks off a USB stick, sounded equally good although didn't do any direct A/B comparisons with the NAS.

Guillaume

Boys and their toys Smile btw : Are there any woman on this forum ? I thought there was a gender-gap in IT, but based on observations in this forum, HiFi is obviously worse.

On a serious note : I would really appreciate it if you could compare the sound of dedicated off-the-shelf PC/Jriver config with the Aries and the Totaldac Server.

Haha! Too true! And I'm one of the worse in case you hadn't noticed Big Grin

I think Rufus has configured a PC with J River with good results... will see if there is any way he can bring this tomorrow. Otherwise it will have to be my Mac running A+ and AIR (which sounds awesome by the way!)... although I could try and download J River I guess...

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Jriver on Mac is not so good unfortunately...
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(30-Aug-2014, 06:51)Kunter Wrote: Jriver on Mac is not so good unfortunately...

Agreed. Don't go there: a world of pain awaits.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
(30-Aug-2014, 08:01)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(30-Aug-2014, 06:51)Kunter Wrote: Jriver on Mac is not so good unfortunately...

Agreed. Don't go there: a world of pain awaits.

Ok won't! Thanks for the tip. Smile

Guillaume

UK
Guillaume,
Will you try the DAC of Total DAC as well? May be the Integral?

Smile

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(30-Aug-2014, 10:45)Kunter Wrote: Guillaume,
Will you try the DAC of Total DAC as well? May be the Integral?

Smile

Kunter

Not planning to to be honest Kunter! Kinda defeats the object using an external DAC although I do appreciate the fact that the ADC in the Devialet is extremely transparent. I used to run my Linn KDS in this way but in the end sold it to fund my ongoing audiophilia... Tongue

Guillaume

UK
Playing this album through the d1 server:

I've left the music playing constantly since last night and I could swear that the sound has improved! There is a sweetness to the vocals and the soundstage just feels so expansive and full-bodied... there are some extra layers in there too. The separation between vocals and instruments is so good, it's very easy to follow individual strands of music. It used to sound a bit muddied before on some of the tracks. Don't get me wrong it always sounded good... but just not this good! Big Grin

Or maybe I'd just forgotten how good the d1 server was! Tongue

It's going to be very very hard disconnecting it and replacing it with the ARIES for a few days. Sad

Guillaume

UK
Here's a close up picture I just took of the d1... enjoy! Smile

Guillaume

UK