Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devialet 200 with Focal Scala Utopia?
I had a very enjoyable time listening to a friend's top of the range Naim system (CD555 and NDS, 552, 500) driving Focal Utopia 3 Scala V2s last week. We ran through a wide range of music: Jill Scott, India Arie, Bebo Valdes, Julie London, Maceo Parker, Seasick Steve, Bonnie Prince Billy, Black Keys, Keb' Mo', etc etc and the sound was really very good. Clean, extended, punchy bass, very open and detailed mid range and sparkling treble. The only criticism I could make was a perhaps overly bright top end on a few recordings (flat frequency response setting on the speaker).

We discussed the possibility of trying my 200 in his system and I wondered whether anyone else had tried a Devialet with the Scalas and whether the results were good? My guess is that the combination may be a little 'lean'... Will the 200 be 'embarrassed' in comparison with the Naim streamer and amps which probably cost five or six times as much?

EDIT: I just checked and see that the SAM profile for the Scalas will be available 'soon'. There have been variable reports on the impact of SAM on other large speakers so I'm not sure whether it would be worth waiting for the profile to be released before I try this?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Smile 
Hi PhilP
I had the chance to hear the Scala Utopia V2 just recently with a Devialet 120 and then switching to a Devialet 200. Before I heard the Viva Utopia with Devialet 120. My impression was, that the Viva Utopia with the smaller amp was really going nice! But the Scala sounded slow and a bit passive and less agile than the Viva.

Changing to the 200 it helped a lot. The Scala was more powerful with a bigger and rounder bass, yet not exactly as precise and fresh and speedy as the Viva. At the end a question of personal taste.

My conclusion: the Scala Utopia needs Devialet 200. Seeing the difference between 120 and 200 you might even try the 400... which I didn't.

Good point with SAM! I personally found the Scala Utopia not as harmonic as the (lower) Viva Utopia or the (higher) Maestro Utopia. I would expect that SAM could help here! (I hope they hurry up with my Maestro Utopia!!! Rolleyes )
Devialet 400 with Focal Maestro Utopia III
Hi vanber,

That's interesting - I haven't really heard much about the Vivas. They're an unusual design and not as visually appealing as the Scalas - to me at least but if they sound good then hey!

It's encouraging to hear that the 200 can drive the Scalas. I am actually thinking about upgrading to a 400 whilst the 15% discount still applies. I thought 200W would be enough for my Wilson Benesch speakers but I guess you can never have enough power Smile

I presume that your Maestros sound superb and am very envious Smile

Philip
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
The Vivas are higly underestimated in my opinion! Hearing the story, they are more like an accident of Focal. They planned it as a center speaker (that's why the design is a bit special - you can even turn the center speaker in the loudspeaker for optical symmetry), but the dealers found, that it's a rather audiophil pearl of the system.

Although about the same price, they run much easier than the Scala. The Scala needs more effort. I also realised, that they need stronger cables, meaning they need more and faster power. You might even try an electric filter and special electric cables to bring this energy in the system. But then, the Scala has quite a powerful and deep volume - more than the Viva.

And a good point for you: SAM is probably only a few days or weeks ago. While I don't know, if they do the Maestros at all... I'm still waiting - they should be delivered this week. And I can't wait for my 116 kg babies... Rolleyes
Devialet 400 with Focal Maestro Utopia III
Rainbow 
(17-Aug-2014, 23:07)PhilP Wrote: I wondered whether anyone else had tried a Devialet with the Scalas and whether the results were good?

Hi PhilP,
I recently purchased a pair of Scala V2 and connected them to my Devialet 200... so far very pleased with the result. Smile
I'm waiting for the SAM profile from Devialet... 'coming soon' already for a few months
Undecided
Devialet 200 + Focal Utopia Scala V2 + Cables Tchernov Reference SC
(15-Jan-2015, 20:57)SebPlaysDevialet Wrote:
(17-Aug-2014, 23:07)PhilP Wrote: I wondered whether anyone else had tried a Devialet with the Scalas and whether the results were good?

Hi PhilP,
I recently purchased a pair of Scala V2 and connected them to my Devialet 200... so far very pleased with the result.  Smile
I'm waiting for the SAM profile from Devialet... 'coming soon' already for a few months
Undecided

Great! I thought they would work well together but have been waiting for the SAM profile before trying. 

I don't know what the delay with SAM is - they've made profiles for plenty of other Focal speakers but seem to have had problems sourcing a pair of Scala V2s. They asked a UK-based friend of mine if they could use his speakers to make the profiles but he wasn't keen on shipping his beloved speakers to France. It seemed a strange request as Focal is a French brand...

Hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer - 119 votes for SAM now.
(15-Jan-2015, 22:04)PhilP Wrote: I wondered whether anyone else had tried a Devialet with the Scalas and whether the results were good?

Hi Philp

I wonder if you got the chance to try your D200 in your friend's system? or are you waiting for the Scalas to be SAMed?
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
(16-Jan-2015, 06:43)amabrok Wrote:
(15-Jan-2015, 22:04)PhilP Wrote: I wondered whether anyone else had tried a Devialet with the Scalas and whether the results were good?

Hi Philp

I wonder if you got the chance to try your D200 in your friend's system? or are you waiting for the Scalas to be SAMed?

Hi, we're waiting for them to be SAMed
(16-Jan-2015, 10:03)PhilP Wrote: Hi, we're waiting for them to be SAMed

I recently went through a lot of amplifiers before settling on the 400 for my Scala V2's.

Can't say that SAM makes that much of a difference in my room, but I also know I have a slight problem with bass here.

Overall the speakers sounds absolutely amazing and I can't be happier!