Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sensibly-priced mains cable upgrades (<£200/€300)?
(10-Dec-2015, 21:23)GRC Wrote: FJust sprung for a used D200 and loving the sound from my Squeezebox Touch (digital coax) and LP12 / Dynavector DV10X5 into Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII (without SAM).

I need to buy a new power cable because my D200 came with a UK power plug which I'm using via a UK - Schuko adaptor for now (I'm in Portugal) and I thought I could afford better than chopping off the 3-pin and substituting a generic Schuko. Big Grin

Seems lots of you guys spring mega-bucks on cables but I'm not in that league.  I'm after a decent power cable with a Schuko mains connector and an IEC that fits under the D200 cable cover.  Preferably one that doesn't rob the Dev of the things it does so well.

Thinking along the lines of Chord Power Chord, Wireworld Stratus but have no experience nor realistic chances of demoing.  Budget up to £200 sterling or €300 euros.

Any thoughts?

Obrigado e boa noite

Hello,
I have found HMS Energia SL/OV completely satisfying. It is a german brand, about 230€ per meter.
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
(10-Dec-2015, 21:23)NRG-X3GRC Wrote: Just sprung for a used D200 and loving the sound from my Squeezebox Touch (digital coax) and LP12 / Dynavector DV10X5 into Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII (without SAM).

I need to buy a new power cable because my D200 came with a UK power plug which I'm using via a UK - Schuko adaptor for now (I'm in Portugal) and I thought I could afford better than chopping off the 3-pin and substituting a generic Schuko. Big Grin

Seems lots of you guys spring mega-bucks on cables but I'm not in that league.  I'm after a decent power cable with a Schuko mains connector and an IEC that fits under the D200 cable cover.  Preferably one that doesn't rob the Dev of the things it does so well.

Thinking along the lines of Chord Power Chord, Wireworld Stratus but have no experience nor realistic chances of demoing.  Budget up to £200 sterling or €300 euros.

Any thoughts?

Obrigado e boa noite

Hi, I'm using a 3-meter Audioquest NRG-X3 bought from amazon.de for 145 Euro; it fits under the cover of a D-250; I haven't done a detailed comparison with the stock cord (which is too short for my system in it's new location), but I'm fairly sure it hasn't harmed the sound at all.
(11-Dec-2015, 23:22)dcaplan Wrote:
(10-Dec-2015, 21:23)NRG-X3GRC Wrote: Just sprung for a used D200 and loving the sound from my Squeezebox Touch (digital coax) and LP12 / Dynavector DV10X5 into Dynaudio Contour 1.8 MkII (without SAM).

Any thoughts?

Obrigado e boa noite

Hi, I'm using a 3-meter Audioquest NRG-X3 bought from amazon.de for 145 Euro; it fits under the cover of a D-250; I haven't done a detailed comparison with the stock cord (which is too short for my system in it's new location), but I'm fairly sure it hasn't harmed the sound at all.

Hi,
I'm getting very good results with Fisch Audiotechnik P5. 
They also offer the P1 which is quite a good cable, priced around 250€.
Will also fit under the Devialet's cover if you don't go for the Oyaide plugs but the standard ones.
Block PS100 Custom turntable/ Soundsmith Carmen - Kimber KS1011
Aurali Aries LE - Kimber USB  /  Oyaide FTVS 510
AVM Evolution CD3 - Oyaide FTVS 510
D200 - Kimber 12TC all clear - Ayon Gyrfalcon
HMS Energia RC1 mains filter- Fisch Audio power wires
Stuttgart, Germany
By the way: if you are a little into DIY you could also consider buying LAPP Ölflex 110cy classic (3x2,5mm) and HMS plugs.
Sounds way better than standard cables and even looks pretty good!
Stuttgart, Germany
I have the lessloss firewall module v2. Does improve. It had some magic in it... It increases the music's engagement. I had 2. Both connect in series was too much. One is good. I had the other to power the LPSU for my NAS. That did the same magic.
OP here . . .

I heard some good things about Mark Grant cables over on PFM so have ordered one of his "Black Series Schuko DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cable" at what seems to me to be a very reasonable price.  Link here.

Now this may not cut it with you cable junkies but I have zero chance of home trials down here on the Algarve so will stick to something simple.

Thanks for your thoughts.

G
Lounge : D200, Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Squeezebox Touch, Musical Fidelity X-Ray (CD Transport), Linn LP12/Ittok 3/Dynavector DV10x5, Chord Clearway & Carnival cables; Study : Squeezebox Touch, Revox PR99 MkII, NAD D 3020, Epos K1; Terrace: Squeezebox Touch, Audioengine A5+; Garage : Squeezebox 2; Rotel  RA-820BX, MA R252; assorted other Squeezebox products dotted around the place; Music Server : iMac 5K 32GB 3TB fusion drive, OSX & BootCamp W10, LMS, FLAC / MP3; Router : Huawei B310 4G; Ripping : dBpoweramp; Library Management : MediaMonkey; Location : East Algarve, Portugal

(15-Dec-2015, 13:36)warpeon Wrote: I have the lessloss firewall module v2. Does improve. It had some magic in it... It increases the music's engagement. I had 2. Both connect in series was too much. One is good. I had the other to power the LPSU for my NAS. That did the same magic.
Yes they magically work (or is it just good filtering technology)!
I have one of the first version to filter my dedicated audio circuit (sits in the floor box) and it was the only filter I could find which did not deteriorate some aspects of sound. Then I got 3 more of the new version. One of them I used to make a short power cord for my D250 and that sounds even better. Lessloss makes a short IEC in/out version (for non DIYers) and they claim that it is better with any decent mains cable than any high end/price cable (and they make fancy ones themselves).
I am also using firewall v2 modules (2 in series) on a custom built cable and is more happy with this than some of the more expensive alternatives I have tried before.
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)
(16-Dec-2015, 16:39)Borgen Wrote: I am also using firewall v2 modules (2 in series) on a custom built cable and is more happy with this than some of the more expensive alternatives I have tried before.

Those modules are making me curious...
So your suggestion would be to go for a less expensive cable and adding firewall modules?
Stuttgart, Germany
That would be my choice.

I am generally aligned with F1eng's points of view relative placebo, I think there is a lot of wishful thinking around, and I do not want to spend too much time or money on cables. The only science I've ever saw on this topic (in Norwegian unfortunately) was a discussion around the effect of grounding noise between components (micro-currents on chassis) relative to ground isolation and polarity. Based on that, I am willing to accept that cables (USB, power, cat6 etc) that help isolate grounding or reduce grounding currents could potentially (underlining potentially) have some value...
QNAP TS219P II/ TIDAL-Hifi > Roon@mac-mini > AIR3-Cat6 > Devialet 250 > Audience AU24 SE > Gallo-3.5Ref (w/ SAM)