Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
From Devialet Tech Support: How Phantom, Dialog & Wifi Router communicate
Recently, Devialet has been very responsive to my concerns, and is turning my experience around. I am grateful.  Below is information that some of you may find useful. I certainly did. 

Please note that this is not official Devialet statement though it is provided to me by Devialet's lead in global support.  Neither is it intended to be a complete treatise so please do not critique it as being incomplete.  They were simply responding to my specific quesitons. 

I've edited the paragraphs very slightly for readability and trust that I have not changed any meaning. Hope it helps some of you. 

(Based o the below, I will be doing some additional creative connections in hopes of greatly improving the wireless streaming and also allow all the computer audio to port through the Phantoms at full resolution.  I will report back.) 

There are 3 different ways Phantoms can communicate with Dialog:
1.       Via wireless
2.       Via electrical (PLC)
3.       Via ethernet
Every time the Phantoms are on and playing, DIalog will first look at the strongest signal between Wifi, PLC or Ethernet, and select the stable one. When Dialog picked up the funnel, it starts then to communicate through this channel to the rest of the equipment, the setup won’t change his channel till you clean your play queue in Spark and stop playing tracks to your Phantom. During the listening session only one funnel will  be use by the whole equipment. The software part of Phantom is evolving on a very regular basis, so it might change in future to do a kind of workload balancing between (or even already change if I did not completely update my knowledge on Phantom communication).

To offer the best experience ever and reinforcing the communication between Dialog and Phantoms, we have recommendations (because most of the time the wifi signal from your internet router is highly stressed by all your home devices, few services like tv or phone, therefore this signal is not able to carry constantly an important signal like music)
1.       As much as possible we suggest ethernet as the best option to stream between Phantom in a Dual setup.
2.       If ethernet is not possible, PLC (powerline communication) is the second best option but does not always work on certain customer home as the electrical grid is separate from a room to another.
3.       If the two above option are not possible, we suggest wifi BUT we recommend to get a separate and dedicated signal for your Phantom setup (we suggest Airport express, but all router can do the job).

Dialog is the source of the wireless connection for the Phantom.  It creates the communication signal between all your system, so the closer your Dialog is from your Dual Phantom better it is (and that’s also why if you have more than 1 Phantom you need a Dialog in the system)  If we ask our customer to get their Dialog connected to their internet router, this is because Dialog needs sometime to ping our update server, check on if there is an update available but more importantly to add the streaming platform available (Tidal, Deezer & Qobuz at the moment).

For the streaming piece (this is where your wifi signal router needs to be strong and we prefer our customer to get a dedicated wireless signal for avoiding some drop while playing because of internet router overload):
-          While playing Local music: Your Phone/Tablet/ needs to transmit a large flow of data to your router, which will pass it to your dialog and finally from the Dialog to the Phantom.
-          while streaming from platform music: your router will capture data from the web first, then will communicate it to Dialog, additionally your device in charge of piloting your Phantom system (Phone/Tablet/PC) need also an important wifi signal to pass instructions to the rest of the system.  
Great thanks! They should make this more publicly available!

What's annoying is there is no way to tell your Dialogue your preferred route. Or even to choose between 2.4 / 5 wifi signal

So if Devialet decides your PLC is more stable at the split second you start to play music - but you know this is much more unreliable than your wifi over long periods....then you are stuck with it and aren't using wifi at all from dialogue to phantoms?

Did I understand right? Seems nuts!
I believe you are correct. One way to bypass PLC then is to make your PLC unreliable- so you need to put some type of filter that blocks the PLC signal. That's what I surmise.

I am VERY impressed by the ambition and vision of Devialet. The challenge is of course executing it sufficiently well. Reducing the gap between vision and execution one key to customer satisfaction. To their credit, they are really trying get a lot better and it really bothers them to have these problem. My perception is that given limited resources, there is a question of how one balances expansion to get more sales versus maintenance of current clients.
So a wireless system which is not recommended to be used wireless...funny.
Sonos worked this out years before. They managed to solve this problem by setting up a dedicated wifi
next to the existing network.
Why is devialet not able to do so?
(12-Dec-2015, 18:58)frix Wrote: So a wireless system which is not recommended to be used wireless...funny.
Sonos worked this out years before. They managed to solve this problem by setting up a dedicated wifi
next to the existing network.
Why is devialet not able to do so?

Very good point - it really annoys me being told to wire them. I bought them for the wireless capability / flexibility of placement

And yes - why didnt they just make the dialogue a bit bigger and put an airport style router in it to automatically create the dedicated network

Dont get me wrong - i love them so much I am happy to put up with the issues, i just find it all a bit odd....

And its lucky i will never grow tired of the re-boot process as it is so cool Smile
You guys do have a point.

I do note:
1. My guess is that when they designed it, they want it to be as potent as possible in its capacity (Did I note that Devialet seem to be a very ambitious engineering company?) and thus designed multiple methods to solve a problem. It seems that they threw everything at the Phantom. And my guess is that it just turned out that after they made it, the found the differences in connectivity. It was not designed from the ground up that way - I'm guessing. I don't have inside news on this.

So to be fair, they do not say, 'Don't use the wifi'. Some use it just fine. I happened to be not one of them but I am retesting the system and will report back. They seem to be saying, 'If your wifi is not stable (and that's not the design goal), you have 2 other options.'

2. I think they need to redesign Dialogue for better range. Someone mentioned a different wifi unit from a different company.

Again, conjecture on my part. BUT I will say that with some contact with Devialet, I have now come to appreciate that they are REALLY concerned about these things and are not blase or uncaring about. My read is that they are simply stretched as they push the bleeding edge. If they communicate with the public better, it may go a long ways towards allaying their customers' angst.
Hi
Interesting article/discussion...
I started having trouble after receiving my fourth silver phantom....not connection, not group playing etc...

I do agree... Although it is fairly possible to wire the phantom on the network... That very argument of flexibility and mobility is gone... And my wife will laugh at me...that was one of the main argument to spend the family money...on "these things "

So what I did was to use the features of the extra draytek vigor 2830 router to create a dedicated 5 ghz frequency and kind of force dialog to use only that frequency and the result is excellent... So how did I do it?

I have an extra vigor 2830 which I changed to a switch by disabling the dhcp server...

The vigor is a dual band simultaneously wifi device... I disabled the 2.4ghz frequency and create an ssid on a 5ghz frequency only.

Dialog is now wired to the vigor 2830 and is the only device using the 5ghz frequency...and everything is now perfect...

In near future, I will upgrade my wifi access points to deploy the new ubiquiti UAC pro at 1750 Mbps and with three access points.. I plan to create a vlan dedicated to dialog and hopefully that will be the long term solution...

But Devialet need to work on a Sonos like dedicated wifi... Very soon, the 5 ghz frequency will also be crowded as the 2.4ghz is currently...

Vive Devialet

Cheers
 Angenet. 
  5 Silver Phantoms (2 stereo and 3 solo in 3 rooms). 4 Raspberry Pi 3b with Hifiberry digi + boards connected to four Phantoms. 1 Dialog with Airplay, Roon Lifetime Membership for perfect group play. Qobuz sublime, Tidal Hifi,  1 NAS Qnap tS-210 Pro. Location: West Yorkshire, UK.
I'm losing my mind. I've had the Dialog and 2 phantom silvers since released in US. Music stops randomly every 5-30 minutes. Then after anywhere from 1-5 minutes it comes back on. Sometimes left speaker, sometimes right speaker, sometimes both. Everything is connected via Ethernet.  I have an optical input into the dialog which is Sonicorbiter SE.  I know the sonicorbiter is not the problem as I have same problem with sonos and streaming directly from tidal.  I only used spark to set up system (from a Windows PC which was also connected via Ethernet).  After that I never touch spark.

It guessing the dialog is losing the phantoms regularly based on the behavior.  It almost feels like even though dialog is connected via Ethernet it is choosing to communicate wirelssy to phantoms.  This set up is should be rock solid with Ethernet.  This used to only happen 1-2 times per week which was somewhat tolerable.  Only thing that changed in last few days was I bought the remote and introduced it into the system but can't believe that's the problem.

Lastly I have reset a dozen time this weekend trying various methods on this board and suggested by deviated to no avail. Will contact Devialet as soon as I have a chance and perhaps it's a defective dialog.  Anyone else with a full Ethernet setup having a problem like this?  Or any of the network pros out there have any thoughts.  Thanks in advance.
(29-Feb-2016, 01:27)Lolo90 Wrote: I'm losing my mind. I've had the Dialog and 2 phantom silvers since released in US. Music stops randomly every 5-30 minutes. Then after anywhere from 1-5 minutes it comes back on. Sometimes left speaker, sometimes right speaker, sometimes both. Everything is connected via Ethernet.  I have an optical input into the dialog which is Sonicorbiter SE.  I know the sonicorbiter is not the problem as I have same problem with sonos and streaming directly from tidal.  I only used spark to set up system (from a Windows PC which was also connected via Ethernet).  After that I never touch spark.

It guessing the dialog is losing the phantoms regularly based on the behavior.  It almost feels like even though dialog is connected via Ethernet it is choosing to communicate wirelssy to phantoms.  This set up is should be rock solid with Ethernet.  This used to only happen 1-2 times per week which was somewhat tolerable.  Only thing that changed in last few days was I bought the remote and introduced it into the system but can't believe that's the problem.

Lastly I have reset a dozen time this weekend trying various methods on this board and suggested by deviated to no avail. Will contact Devialet as soon as I have a chance and perhaps it's a defective dialog.  Anyone else with a full Ethernet setup having a problem like this?  Or any of the network pros out there have any thoughts.  Thanks in advance.

Have a look into Spark / Settings / Devices. The latest shows you the type of connection of your Phantoms. In my case I have PLC. Since it works flawlessly, I did not try what happens here when I would add ethernet connection to the Phantoms.

Cheers,

Krisp
Thanks.  Mine say Ethernet next to the phantoms and nothing next to dialog.  Both phantoms and dialog are connected to an 8 port gigabit switch that is run to my router in a different room.  Everything else connected to that switch works flawlessly including streaming video at 1080p from plex server from Xbox One.  Maybe I'll try switching Ethernet cables but since it worked fairly well for weeks I'd be suprised if that's the issue. Or I'll try eliminating the Ethernet cables from the phantoms and see what happens.