Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Chromecast Audio with new Firmware
Hello, has anybody done a comparison between airport express and chromecast audio SQwise ?
I need an alternative to AIR when it randomly stutters.
Thanks for your help
Devialet Expert 220 Pro - Atohm GT2 - Auralic Aries Mini
Airport express is limited to CD quality, Chromecast Audio can do (a little) better. That said, I've not compared them both. My gut feel is that the Chromecast Audio will sound better (newer chip set; trying to do less).

Rik
Devialet Ensemble

Hampshire, UK
Ive decided to order one of these Chromecast Audio devices a go after seeing it on sale at £15 (inc delivery) from a well known UK high street electronics store

Not sure i have much use for it but at that price it seems rude not to Big Grin
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
(26-Feb-2016, 02:04)tyefighter Wrote: …. after seeing it on sale at £15 (inc delivery) from a well known UK high street electronics store

WOW! Care to share? (OK, I see noes, Currys - damn thats where I bought mine from 2 weeks agoSad)

I think they're fantastic little things (see my radio thread), and that is just crazy pricing for what it does. Its a really new device but maybe theres another model coming?

Either way, snap 'em up!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Thanks chaps - just ordered one - as you said Gordy, it would be rude not to Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(26-Feb-2016, 10:02)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(26-Feb-2016, 02:04)tyefighter Wrote: …. after seeing it on sale at £15 (inc delivery) from a well known UK high street electronics store

WOW! Care to share? (OK, I see noes, Currys - damn thats where I bought mine from 2 weeks agoSad)

I think they're fantastic little things (see my radio thread), and that is just crazy pricing for what it does. Its a really new device but maybe theres another model coming?

Either way, snap 'em up!

sorry i wasnt sure if i was allowed to post shop names here but yeah Currys and now Argos are following their lead

i did a quick look around and havent heard mention of a new version
although the video version has been offered free with various streaming services as of late so maybe its just google simply boosting their sales
Foobar2000/Win10 ~ Devialet 440Pro ~ Tannoy Precision 6.4 ~ Auralic Taurus Mk2 ~ Sennheiser HD700
The Missing Link Cryo Reference Mains Cables / The Chord Company Silver Plus USB / Townshend Isolda Bi-Wire Speaker Cables / Townshend Isolda DCT 300 Interconnects / Quadraspire Q4 EVO Rack

The Cotswolds England
So the Devialet has two optical inputs 

S/PDIF TOSLINK optical connector:
Formats supported: 16-bit/44.1 kHz PCM to 24-bit/192kHz PCM
3.5mm mini-jack S/PDIF optical + RS232 connector:
Formats supported: 16bits/44.1kHz PCM to 24-bit/96kHz PCM
Device control via the bidirectional RS232 protocol up to 115200 bauds (documentation available via the configurator)

the chromecast has a 3.5mm mini jack that supports 24-bit/96kHz
So am i best getting a 3.5 to 3.5 or a 3.5 to s/pdif?

The Cotswolds England
(27-Feb-2016, 01:14)tyefighter Wrote: So the Devialet has two optical inputs 

S/PDIF TOSLINK optical connector:
Formats supported: 16-bit/44.1 kHz PCM to 24-bit/192kHz PCM
3.5mm mini-jack S/PDIF optical + RS232 connector:
Formats supported: 16bits/44.1kHz PCM to 24-bit/96kHz PCM
Device control via the bidirectional RS232 protocol up to 115200 bauds (documentation available via the configurator)

the chromecast has a 3.5mm mini jack that supports 24-bit/96kHz
So am i best getting a 3.5 to 3.5 or a 3.5 to s/pdif?

I run mine with 3.5 to s/pdif but it would not matter right now as both inputs on the Devialet can cope with 24/96 and my TV is connected to the 3.5 input on my Devialet so the only choice was 3.5 to s/pdif.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

thank you octaviars, i didnt think it would matter much.
I'll just see which is the most cheap and cheerful deal on amazon ...seems silly spending more than the price of the device itself on one

The Cotswolds England
It's back down to £15.

Currys

These are very useful, and stable in my experience. I'm glad I bought one last time it was this cheap.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution