Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power consumption
Hi Pim,

Well my old system was a PS audio Perfect wave MK2 DAC to the SA-103, I think the Devialet sounds better--otherwise I haven’t change it--It ended up costing me some cash.

The Devialet is also easier to live with, before the Plinus sounds the best it have to run in class A for at least 30mins, In class A it used around 350W--in normal operation around 65w (I never turned it off)

I think the Devialet sounds good when you turn it on...

But I think the Plinus looks good, I realy like the big brutal look 

Merry Christmas—and ejoy the summer :-)
Devialet 200, Graditech Voima 1 Power cable, MIT shotgun S1.3 Speaker cable, Neeper Acoustics Perfect One Speakers
Aurender N100H, MIT Shotgun AC1 Power Cable, Audioquest Forest RJ45, Transparent Premium USB Cable

Denmark
(24-Dec-2015, 12:19)Morten Wrote: Hi Pim,

Well my old system was a PS audio Perfect wave MK2 DAC to the SA-103, I think the Devialet sounds better--otherwise I haven’t change it--It ended up costing me some cash.

The Devialet is also easier to live with, before the Plinus sounds the best it have to run in class A for at least 30mins, In class A it used around 350W--in normal operation around 65w (I never turned it off)

Merry Christmas to you too... I'm 'enjoying' my summer on a gas rig in the middle of Queensland  Confused
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(24-Dec-2015, 12:19)Morten Wrote: Hi Pim,

Hi Morten,

"I think the Devialet sounds good when you turn it on...". I think that you will find that any Amplifier sounds better when turned on  Big Grin.

Have a great Christmas and New Year Smile.

David

1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(24-Dec-2015, 09:26)TDA Wrote: question though. will a Devialet amp not take damage of unpowering it all the time when not using?

To my ears the Devialet 200 sounded only very slightly if at all better after warming up than it did cold, and it isn't damaged by turning it off, so the only thing you lose by turning it off is the 13 seconds it took to boot up. In exchange for that you save some energy which otherwise is completely wasted, to the detriment of your wallet and the planet.

Merry Christmas from the U.S.A., where we use more power for a few weeks of christmas-tree lighting than El Salvador, Ethiopia, and others use all year.
(23-Dec-2015, 19:11)Confused Wrote: Some pure class A amplifiers can use huge amounts of power.  A 200wpc class A could draw over a kilowatt.  It could get as hot a a one kilowatt heater too, which might be nice in cold climates but anywhere warm you would need to add in the cost of air conditioning too.  So as a Devialet is one of the very few amplifiers to sound as good as pure class A, it could be considered an environmental triumph!

Yes, but the Devialet is only a 5wpc class-A amp and thus a very poor space heater.

Luckily ADH actually works so we can get most of the sonic benefits of a class-A amp with most of the power efficiency of class-D. In fact, as I noted the Devialet is more power efficient than my other class-D amp, using less energy for more power output and far better sound. We should also note that Devialet has lowered the power consumption with firmware updates, and I hope that at some point they will figure out how to power off the class-A amp in standby mode thus lowering standby energy use to modern levels (less than 1W).
(24-Dec-2015, 13:03)deviousalet Wrote:
(24-Dec-2015, 09:26)TDA Wrote: question though. will a Devialet amp not take damage of unpowering it all the time when not using?

To my ears the Devialet 200 sounded only very slightly if at all better after warming up than it did cold, and it isn't damaged by turning it off, so the only thing you lose by turning it off is the 13 seconds it took to boot up. In exchange for that you save some energy which otherwise is completely wasted, to the detriment of your wallet and the planet.

Merry Christmas from the U.S.A., where we use more power for a few weeks of christmas-tree lighting than El Salvador, Ethiopia, and others use all year.

sounds good.

i will then turn of the amp when not using.

and its great to know that it does not use more power than my old AVR. It was always turned on because my tv sound went through it.

dev sounds like a winner

a merry christmas to all of you also.
(23-Dec-2015, 16:13)deviousalet Wrote: I don't have a measurement with current firmware, but with older firmware (7.x?) I measured a Devialet 200 at 5W when off, 8.5W in standby, and 26-29W driving B&W N802 or 36W driving KEF LS50.

I'm surprised by those figures when I consider how quickly my D200 gets warm and how warm it does get in use.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
[/quote]
I'm surprised by those figures when I consider how quickly my D200 gets warm and how warm it does get in use.
[/quote]

After many hours of playing at reasonably loud volumes the D200 I used was warm but not hot to the touch, so my power measurements may reflect my loads. I'd be interested if you could measure your D200 power consumption to see if it differs. Kill-A-Watt meters are cheap and useful instruments.
[/quote]

After many hours of playing at reasonably loud volumes the D200 I used was warm but not hot to the touch, so my power measurements may reflect my loads. I'd be interested if you could measure your D200 power consumption to see if it differs. Kill-A-Watt meters are cheap and useful instruments.
[/quote]

I think that you are right.
Magico S1 speakers are most definitely power hungry.
But either playing DVD's, Blu-Ray discs or watching TV, the D200 must be turned up to a much higher level and it does get significantly hotter when compared to listening to music via Antipodes and USB (Curious Cable).
I have a feeling that my local library loans out devices similar to Kill-A-Watt. I'll investigate after Xmas.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
As an update, my D400 (9.0.1 DPM) uses 28W off, 33W standby, 53W idle, and around 55W driving my B&W N802 speakers.