Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power consumption
Good to know..

Because my system will be playing non stop right now.. I have another thread regarding problem with burn in
I'm surprised by those figures when I consider how quickly my D200 gets warm and how warm it does get in use.
[/quote]

After many hours of playing at reasonably loud volumes the D200 I used was warm but not hot to the touch, so my power measurements may reflect my loads. I'd be interested if you could measure your D200 power consumption to see if it differs. Kill-A-Watt meters are cheap and useful instruments.
[/quote]

I ended up buying a "Steplight" power consumption meter. Supposedly one of the most accurate of the cheap devices available.
Typical figures that I get are not very far removed from the results that you quoted.
I am measuring with D200 connected to Australian 240v/50Hz power supply (if that makes a difference  ?). SAM and sub.
Off               -    8.8w
Standby       -   10.8w
-34dB USB   -   31w
-17dB USB   -   37w    temps 41, 39, 44

I'm still surprised. 
So few watts create so much heat.
Why do we need power cords thicker than our thumbs to deliver what amounts to a very modest current ?
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
(24-Jan-2016, 05:28)gray Wrote: Off               -    8.8w
Standby       -   10.8w
-34dB USB   -   31w
-17dB USB   -   37w    temps 41, 39, 44

I'm still surprised. 
So few watts create so much heat.

The temperatures in the amplifier depend on how much waste energy in the form of heat the amplifier is having to get rid of, and how efficiently it can dissipate it.  The more efficiently the amplifier can convect, conduct or radiate heat to it surroundings, the lower the temperature rise above ambient will be.

For a bit of contrast, think how hot the element in a traditional 40 W incandescent bulb gets - that's dissipating about the same amount of heat but very much less efficiently (by design).

The modest temperature rise is the price we pay for having a relatively small, shiny box rather than a large matt black one with huge heatsinks (or water cooling, or some other exotic method for getting rid of the waste heat). Fortunately the Devialet is quite an efficient amplifier so it generates a fairly small amount of waste heat compared to others (e.g. class A, class A/B) with the same power output to the speakers.

(24-Jan-2016, 05:28)gray Wrote: Why do we need power cords thicker than our thumbs to deliver what amounts to a very modest current ?

The simple answer is that we don't.  At least, not for any technical reason.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I would love to leave my D200 on all the time (with firmware 7.1.3).
Will the difference be around 20W compared to standby mode as I read in this and other topics?

I've turned off the DPM option in the configurator, but as I recall that was only introduced later, right?
So I assume that was already off since I'm using fw 7.1.3.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Yes, when I measured a 200 and as far back as when it was a 170 it uses roughly 20W more on than "off" (which still uses 5-9W), so you'll be wasting 27-36W (my measures when idle) more keeping it on than unplugged or switched truly off. Do you think that it sound better left on or do you have other reasons?
Yeah, I the highs are a bit warmer when the analog part of amp reaches the tempurature of 40+ degrees.
Doesn't do so much for the mids and lows (not as far as I can hear at least; I'm more focussed on highs anyway),
but the highs sound much smoother from the start now.
I prefer to leave the amp on always therefor.
And I never have to wait for it to boot up either. Now I can enjoy my music 20-ish seconds sooner every morning and evening. Big Grin

Thanks for the reply, Deviousalet!
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Following the suggestion in another thread (http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=1906) I connected the 3.5mm trigger cable between my D400 master and slave, configured an input on the slave (digital in my case), and then low and behold I measure lower power consumption. Where previously my D400 used 28W "off", 33W in standby, 53W idle it now uses 18W "off", 22W in standby, 53W idle. So this tip is saving me from wasting 10W "off" and 11W in standby at no cost. The temperatures also dropped and are the same for the master and slave (they used to differ slightly). So it look like linking the units via the trigger cable lets them communicate more effectively. This seems like an impressive return for such a minor configuration tweak. I've asked Devialet to add this to their setup instructions.
Power consumption given during playback is very low in comparison to most other amps. Standby is high. I am just guessing the standby consumption is related to the radio controlled remote.

What I do not understand is 8 watts consumption during power off. Power off by definition should be 0 watts consumption. This means Devialet amps do not have an "off" state.

I made short calculation.... Assume an amps plays 10% of the time and turned off during remaining 90% time.. The Le 200 power consumption is equivalent to and amp that consumes 105 Watts during playback and 0 watts during turned off. Not pretty.

Does anyone know why there is power consumption during power off?
I have an incomplete understanding but am annoyed by the power consumption when supposedly "off" so have tried to figure it out. As far as I understand it some of that power consumption when "off" is used for communication with the app (if enabled, so that the app can turn on the unit/s), radio communication with the remote control (so that it can turn on the unit/s), communication between dual-mono units (so one can turn on the other), and probably keeping the Class-A amp warmed up and ready to play (they sound better warmed up). I would personally love an option to have a true off state even if it meant that I had to walk over and press a button on my units to power them on and then wait a few minutes for the best sound quality. If this were an option then everyone could choose how they use the units instead of having to work around the lack of such an option as we do now.
(27-Mar-2016, 13:56)deviousalet Wrote: I have an incomplete understanding but am annoyed by the power consumption when supposedly "off" so have tried to figure it out. As far as I understand it some of that  power consumption when "off" is used for communication with the app (if enabled, so that the app can turn on the unit/s), radio communication with the remote control (so that it can turn on the unit/s), communication between dual-mono units (so one can turn on the other), and probably keeping the Class-A amp warmed up and ready to play (they sound better warmed up). I would personally love an option to have a true off state even if it meant that I had to walk over and press a button on my units to power them on and then wait a few minutes for the best sound quality. If this were an option then everyone could choose how they use the units instead of having to work around the lack of such an option as we do now.

Then what is the difference in functionality between power off and standby?