Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Devialet predictions for 2016 (The Devialet Almanac 2016)
(10-Feb-2016, 18:47)Antoine Wrote: I don't think it'll ever happen. Current models are clearly targetted for stereo although they can be used as pass through amplifiers for the two front channels and even the subwoofers when you have a surround pre/pro that can mix the sub/LFE channel into the FL+FR channels (I have it set up like this personally).

IMO they'd need Dolby/DTS surround sound decoders, HDMI in-/outputs and probably more analog (pre)outputs to be useful as "the center" in a surround system.

Having thought again about this idea I submitted in February about surround systems (an idea Fred had already touched in January to be fair), and studied more in 'depth' the offering of their French colleagues Trinnov, they could announce a cooperation with them in two axis :
  • a box to put before the Devialet components (be it Expert amps seen as a pair of speakers or Phantom seen as individual speakers) to offer complete Dolby surround solutions 5.1 or 7.1 under Devialet brand
  • the same box could embark the elements aimed at managing room correction which have been widely expected by the crowd here
This would boost the sales of both companies as Devialet probably is a little stuck with its range of Expert products and the hi-fi range of Trinnov does not seem to get the same level of success than its pro-audio range.
What do you think ?
OK - Due to the massive prize (utterly enormous personal pride and kudos) for the winner of this prediction thread, I though it was time we should implement some rules, which I shall make up as I go along. I think we need to mark the start of April (Q2 2016) as the absolute last time for qualifying predictions. To be fair to anyone who was planning a late entry (or cheating, as it is known) I think Saturday April 2nd is a reasonable cut-off. Another rule I have just made up is the scoring. 10 points to the first poster of a 100% correct prediction, 5 points to later posters of the same, reduced points for vague or partially correct predictions -2 points will be awarded for any prediction eventually proven to be incorrect, to punish anyone who just listed many things.

I think that's enough rule making up for now.

As for 2016 Q1, I believe the only thing to report of note is the Renault F1 team sponsorship deal. Nobody got this one, but Fred was closest with: "- And probably something none of use would ever guess..", (5 points scored, the prediction was vague but Fred did correctly ascertain that no one else would predict the something that happened), Confused gets half points (2.5) for agreeing with Fred.

So Fred leads with Confused in second place, although taking potential negative points for false predictions into account, the about 6 billion people who couldn't care less about Devialet and did not post on this thread are in the lead with 0 points, all the rest of us are negative. Q2 2016 should be a bit more interesting with the rumoured dealer meet in April and Munich in May.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Okay, if those are the rules then I agree with all correct predictions and look forward to getting half credit for that effortless fudge. Wink

Rules aside I'll predict:
1) new and improved acronyms (and for bonus points, three-letter acronyms at that)
  1a) some will be connected to useful improvements and others will simply be amusing
2) hardware upgrades for existing Expert units trickle down from Od'A (A, D, & power boards for both cases)
3) firmware upgrades for both Phantom and Experts
  3a) Experts will gain power (Od'A=1000, and after upgrading hardware D220/D450, D270/D900)
  3b) Phantom will gain bass management but not gain power
4) new connection/processing hardware (Dialog replacement) will provide
  4a) support for more streaming services and formats, including MQA but not full Roon Endpoint
  4b) surround sound (3.0, 5.0, 7.0, and Atmos/Auro3D) to Phantom but not Experts
  4c) streaming to Experts
5) problems with AIR will be ignored, while room correction and DLNA/UPnP support will be promised for "soon" but not delivered.
(30-Mar-2016, 22:28)deviousalet Wrote: Okay, if those are the rules then I agree with all correct predictions and look forward to getting half credit for that effortless fudge. Wink

Rules aside I'll predict:
1) new and improved acronyms (and for bonus points, three-letter acronyms at that)
  1a) some will be connected to useful improvements and others will simply be amusing
2) hardware upgrades for existing Expert units trickle down from Od'A (A, D, & power boards for both cases)
3) firmware upgrades for both Phantom and Experts
  3a) Experts will gain power (Od'A=1000, and after upgrading hardware D220/D450, D270/D900)
  3b) Phantom will gain bass management but not gain power
4) new connection/processing hardware (Dialog replacement) will provide
  4A) support for more streaming services and formats, including MQA but not full Roon Endpoint
  4b) surround sound (3.0, 5.0, 7.0, and Atmos/Auro3D) to Phantom but not Experts
  4b) streaming to Experts
5) problems with AIR will be ignored, while room correction and DLNA/UPnP support will be promised for "soon" but not delivered.

Damn, that's a good list. Except 1) which is a total cheat - we all know it's company policy to only use TLA's Wink

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Ok, I feel under pressure now it's first come first served, but I'll have another stab with the refreshed info:

-Mini phantom, possibly battery powered.
-Choice of phantom colours, starting with gaudy F1 yellow.
-The word 'explosion', 'immersion', 'engine' or 'correction' rolled into a new TLA
-Some half baked streaming box designed to avoid fixing AIR or having to acknowledge they can't. (Sorry, sorry but it has to be there)
-expert firmware having a kind of EQ as a Devialet way of doing RC rather than what anyone actually wants.
-SAM in a telly/car/laptop
-joint venture/investment/merger with a multinational corporation

Ok I'm probably minus 50 now, so I'll stop there.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I'm very likely going to lose points for this one; There's going be a D200 style set of bathroom scales made for advertising purposes.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Hey, I just noticed....They have!

Australia; 12 points.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
After my fairly routine predictions in post 7, my current prediction is that they will appoint Guillaume as head of communications ... and head of software development.

I know he has skills in the former and no skills in the latter so that should be an improvement in two areas.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(31-Mar-2016, 10:01)IanG-UK Wrote: After my fairly routine predictions in post 7, my current prediction is that they will appoint Guillaume as head of communications ... and head of software development.

I know he has skills in the former and no skills in the latter so that should be an improvement in two areas.

Joking aside, I'm really surprised that Devialet didn't send Guillaume Od'A #001/100 as a goodwill gesture of thanks. Apart from being a nice guy and one of Devialet's biggest fans, his running this forum has probably saved them a fortune in support costs alone, as well as helped build a sense of community and knowledge around the brand, both of which surely benefits them as a company.

I have been following this thread with interest and it appears that now it is a competition to get the most accurate prediction Smile

So I am always competitive so if I predict one thing and get it right do i win as I will have a 100% success rate Smile

My prediction then is in 2016 Devialet will not find a fix for AIR. I reckon that is a 100% strike rate and I take the award Smile
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England