Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mains noise
I've seen it mentioned that the Devialet amps are as effective as a wall wart in injecting mains noise back into the supply.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.ph...g-results/

see post #43

This has got me re-thinking my current set-up which is D200, Oppo 95 and Antipodes DX all plugged into an Isotek Polaris power board.
D200, Magico S1's, Antipodes DX
i am not familiar with Isotek power conditioners...

From my setup, i am using Isolation Power Transformers, one for Devialet and one for my source.
There is significant improvement in terms of quieter background, dynamics and more details.
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
(28-Dec-2015, 06:45)Sharone Wrote: i am not familiar with Isotek power conditioners...

From my setup, i am using Isolation Power Transformers, one for Devialet and one for my source.
There is significant improvement in terms of quieter background, dynamics and more details.

It seems that it is a very good idea to keep the Devialet well away from the source power supply.
Yes, no harm trying that and see if you can distinguish whether there is an improvement in sound.
Smile
440 Pro, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 Digital cable, Plixir Elite BAC 3000 Power Conditioner, Plixir The Statement Balanced Power Cord
Rega RP10, Melco N1-S38, Melco S100 Audiophile Dataswitch, ADOT MC01, Diva Audio & 7N-4030 Leggenda Power Cords, Plixir BDC LPS, Habst Ultra III USB cable, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Acrolink 7N-DA2090 AES/EBU cable, Mutec REF 10, Habst Digital BNC cable
Vivid Giya G4, Acrolink 7N-S1400 Leggenda Speaker cables
PSI AVAA C20 Active Bass Trap
bFly-audio Master, Cube, b.Disc Absorbers
Artnovion Andrea Absorbers
Unfortunately I can't isolate my D200 from my source components without putting in a new dedicated spur from the mains box.

But, I feel this would be only half the solution as there are many components that share the power circuit in my "listening room". And all of them, I suspect are polluting the power.
Oppo 95 and Antipodes DX have linear power supplies but I think that they also have smps on board. Subwoofer has class D amplification. TV (plasma) is probably a major culprit as is  
my wall wart powered router. Computer, printer and 2 x 12v motors powering the reclining sections of a sofa. 

It would seem that I have a "perfect storm" of noise pollution affecting any semblance of clean power.

In this, I know that I would be far from alone.

I wish I had access to one of those mains analysers or if there was a service that could give me a power audit.

Having said all this, I am still getting great sound out of my system.
But I feel that it could be so much better if I could get my power issues sorted.
(29-Dec-2015, 11:28)gray Wrote: Unfortunately I can't isolate my D200 from my source components without putting in a new dedicated spur from the mains box.

But, I feel this would be only half the solution as there are many components that share the power circuit in my "listening room". And all of them, I suspect are polluting the power.
Oppo 95 and Antipodes DX have linear power supplies but I think that they also have smps on board. Subwoofer has class D amplification. TV (plasma) is probably a major culprit as is  
my wall wart powered router. Computer, printer and 2 x 12v motors powering the reclining sections of a sofa. 

It would seem that I have a "perfect storm" of noise pollution affecting any semblance of clean power.

In this, I know that I would be far from alone.

I wish I had access to one of those mains analysers or if there was a service that could give me a power audit.

Having said all this, I am still getting great sound out of my system.
But I feel that it could be so much better if I could get my power issues sorted.

Interestingly enough the new Original d'Atelier features a new power filter board:

A new power filter input board has been developed. 

It is based on a new conduction EMI (electromagnetic interference) filter. Have fewer, but better performance of the magnetic element, the use of new high-quality alloy made. This improvement has laid the ability to filter unwanted signal ground power. Original d'Atelier is more separated from the main network power supply noise than ever.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(29-Dec-2015, 13:45)GuillaumeB Wrote: Interestingly enough the new Original d'Atelier features a new power filter board:

A new power filter input board has been developed. 

It is based on a new conduction EMI (electromagnetic interference) filter. Have fewer, but better performance of the magnetic element, the use of new high-quality alloy made. This improvement has laid the ability to filter unwanted signal ground power. Original d'Atelier is more separated from the main network power supply noise than ever.

Guillaume

This would seem to address some of the issues of incoming power but I guess the problem of injected noise back into the supply remains ( ? )
Interesting topic.
I've been worried about my setup recently which I'm sure is really noisy.
I thought the Polaris isolates everything individually already?
It's supposed to stop noise getting to things plugged in and stops plugged in things from affecting each other.
Do you hear any improvement with or without it?

I'm auditioning a PS Audio P3 power plant next week.
It takes the dirty ac, converts it to dc and then back to clean stable ac without any fluctuations etc.
All sockets are individually isolated too i believe.
Anyone tried one of these?
Only downside is the price but if it makes enough of a difference then it's worth it.
A potential improvement for everything connected.
I'll report back on my findings next week.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
The link in the first post in this thread suggests (in a non-definitive but effective manner) that the Polaris and the Sigma are both very good at cleaning noise from the wall socket.
However there seems to be a problem if a "dirty" component  (like a wall wart or indeed a Devialet) is introduced into the board/conditioner. There is substantial cross contamination across all the sockets on the board/conditioner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwwAe5Xo...e=youtu.be.

Dedicated runs from the CU (consumer unit i.e. the mains box supplying the dwelling) for each critical dirty component seem (from earlier mains power related threads) to go a long way to isolate components.

http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=145

But is there still some contamination happening across dedicated runs ? After-all can't one's power be contaminated by the activities of our neighbours, local factories, etc.
And a dedicated run from the CU is still supplying "mains quality" power.

It seems that there are no definitive answers, just the many and varied anecdotal accounts of people's experiences with conditioners, regenerators, isolation transformers, dedicated runs, etc.
Separate dedicated power circuits are still connected at some point within the house wiring and will not cause any filtering (except some minimal caused by the skin effect of the house wires). I am using a Lessloss firewall unit directly connected to my D250 and that way power is filtered but also it isolates the other components from any noise generated by the the D250 (at least to an obvious extent).
As different filters work at different frequencies it would be interesting the noise spectrum of the Devialet power supply itself.