Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You've got to laugh ...
Review 1: "It's not even enough that the D-Premier has an ability to grab your speakers by the terminals and shake them until they disappear in the room" "This is as good as it gets ... it really is the real deal" Hi-Fi+, issue 75, reviewer Alan Sircom

Review 2: "I've long said that the Devialet can take care of many traditional audio amplifiers, but it doesn't challenge the authority of an Audio Research" "The Devialet is all about precision ... the Audio Research is about the emotion" Hi-Fi+, issue 114, reviewer ... ... ... Alan Sircom.

I guess Mr Sircom, never one to measure THD, has now found a way to measure THE (Total Harmonic Emotion).
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(22-Aug-2014, 09:19)IanG-UK Wrote: Review 1: "It's not even enough that the D-Premier has an ability to grab your speakers by the terminals and shake them until they disappear in the room" "This is as good as it gets ... it really is the real deal" Hi-Fi+, issue 75, reviewer Alan Sircom

Review 2: "I've long said that the Devialet can take care of many traditional audio amplifiers, but it doesn't challenge the authority of an Audio Research" "The Devialet is all about precision ... the Audio Research is about the emotion" Hi-Fi+, issue 114, reviewer ... ... ... Alan Sircom.

I guess Mr Sircom, never one to measure THD, has now found a way to measure THE (Total Harmonic Emotion).

that is very funny - and it does show that the reviewing fraternity can not be relied upon - not their fault as to sell copy they have got to go the route of hyperbole

i for one was very happy to forsake an ARC Ref3/Ref110w pre power combo for Devialet - funny i have connected more with the music since having done so - each to their own
(22-Aug-2014, 11:10)colonel66 Wrote:
(22-Aug-2014, 09:19)IanG-UK Wrote: Review 1: "It's not even enough that the D-Premier has an ability to grab your speakers by the terminals and shake them until they disappear in the room" "This is as good as it gets ... it really is the real deal" Hi-Fi+, issue 75, reviewer Alan Sircom

that is very funny - and it does show that the reviewing fraternity can not be relied upon - not their fault as to sell copy they have got to go the route of hyperbole

i for one was very happy to forsake an ARC Ref3/Ref110w pre power combo for Devialet - funny i have connected more with the music since having done so - each to their own

I have heard the ARC amplifiers on a number of occasions and have generally found the sound to be quite warm/full bodied and lush. Quite pleasant actually. They also pair really well with Wilson Audio speakers, so overall system synergy is important too.

I would say that the Devialet is quite a different presentation and I can imagine some preferring the ARC and others the Devialet. Some people prefer their sound "coloured" (as some would say one here) and there's nothing wrong with that. As good as the Devialet is... it's not for everyone.

It is of course perfectly possible to own and enjoy both systems! Perhaps Alan Sircom is trying to reflect this. Love the "new" THE measure though! Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Alan Sircom uses (or used to) a Devialet at home...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I think Alan Sircom is definitely at the reasonable end of hifi reviewers, he admits he has to sell magazines and that requires making reviews interesting. Keeping saying something's not as good as the Devialet is quickly going to get boring.

I'm also pretty sure the Audio Research will sound great, if people want a bit of added warmth or charm to vocals then who are we to argue?

Cheers

Chris
I do not find the latest ARC gear to be warm. I had the ARC REF150 amp just before my Devialet, ultimately chose the Devialet (d-Premier back then) more for maintenance, size, convenience. In sound, they were very close, with the ARC displaying just a tiny bit more air and depth than the Devialet, and slightly softer bass. Source was the Belcanto DAC-3.5 for the ARC amp. Speakers with my Magico Q1. The ARC REF150 really is a remarkable amp, at least in my set up.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
I also forsake an arc 5se pre with ref110 (kt120s).

I loved the audio research tube sound for over 15 years.  I do find that the d200 has that high emotion feeling like audio research or other tube amps.  The first time I seriously listened to a d200 , I was taken aback back the emotion in Diana krall's voice.  It was so accurate, as if she was in front of me.

I asked the audio store if I could borrow a demo and then I was very impressed with the range and precision of the d200. The music flowed beautifully and effortlessly.   It has a hauntingly quiet background, basically completely silent.   Power is intense with no distortion.   Bass is fabulous and the highs are clear and precise. The mid bass is so precise.  Midrange is just beautiful.    I agree , it does grab your speakers by the terminals and shakes them.

I have 6 different tube systems, from 12 watts single ended to 200 watts OTL.  Lots of cables, hot, they are not as reliable as SS and takes awhile to warm up before music sounds good.  Compared to SS ,Tubes never really have accurate solid bass even my ref210 monobloks.  Devialet is a one box solution that is simple and sounds as good or better than tubes.  

Hats off to a great product.
Sam
[size=x-small]D1000pro, Sonus Faber Amati anniversary, siltech ls88 cables, direct tv, Apple TV, Xbox, Sony projector.

Second system.. d440pro, Sonus Faber Cremona speakers, Mitchell gyro se turntable with cadenza blue, direct tv, Apple TV , sunfire subwoofer, Sony tv.

Third system... d-premier, Opera sp2 speakers , direct tv, Apple TV , Xbox, Sony tv.
Nice summary, IanG-UK. I personally find Hi-FI + a bit of a flop; I love the laminated paper, but each issue has four or five articles/ reviews by the same person. That gets tiresome to me. And the writing and editing is pretty poor as well. Roy Gregory was worse, but its not up to the standards set by Stereophile, IMHO.

I've never heard anything recent by ARC, but it is very highly regarded by many. I'm growing more confused, however, about the 'emotion' quotient. Naim is often credited with bringing out the 'music' and the emotion. Now AS categorizes Devialet as technical and the ARC as emotional. It is odd to me, as one of the first things I felt about the Devialet was exactly that emotion; the ease and clarity and completeness of the reproduction seemed to get more of the music out to me. Hearing the nuances in vocal tone and breathing, and micro dynamics, that were hidden before, makes the emotional reach of the music greater.

I am deviating, I know, in relating my own change of heart, and sentiment, about the Naim equipment. I was a booster of Naim for at least 10 years, but I don't feel it does the 'music' the way the Devialet does (at least at the sub-stratospheric price range). Which is a bit of a loss. I've had several tube amps over the years. While the midrange, and vocals, could be very seductive, I could not go back. I have no idea if new ARC equipment would upset my world again.

Total Harmonic Emotion: I think we should keep this one.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(22-Feb-2015, 01:55)Damon Wrote: Total Harmonic Emotion: I think we should keep this one.
THE - Thumbs Up!
(22-Feb-2015, 07:47)Jnan_devi Wrote:
(22-Feb-2015, 01:55)Damon Wrote: Total Harmonic Emotion: I think we should keep this one.
THE - Thumbs Up!

These acronyms and "shorthands" can be quite powerful in preconditioning listeners what to expect in sighted sessions. Martin Colloms was (I think) the guy who invented Naim PRAT (Pace, Rhythm And Timing), now from Alan Sircom we have Emotion (Audio Research) and Devialet (Technical) - and even I am guilty of inventing Devialet Expert being Serious and Devialet Phantom being Fun. Indeed, this is quite possibly what Devialet want the various market segments to think.

Anyone going to last year's Munich valves v transistors demonstration by Ken Kessler in the Nagra room would have experienced just how much some reviewers want to precondition their listeners before the music starts. It was inevitable that 90% of listeners, sighted of course, chose the valves. Which is what Mr Kessler wanted!
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England