Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Speaker Cables
(18-Dec-2016, 21:54)Nakatomi63 Wrote:
(13-Jun-2014, 16:12)Hermanh Wrote:
(13-Jun-2014, 00:18)pete86 Wrote: I'm also a skeptic of audiophile speaker cables.  They make a difference but the differences are significantly smaller than the difference a change in amplifiers can make, and the difference between two amplifiers of similar power is already pretty small in the grand scheme of things.  Speaker placement, room treatments, and the speakers themselves make the biggest difference by far.

In my experience speaker cables do matter.
I've tried Chord Odyssey, Chord Epic (with my previous Naim system), Kimber TC 8 and Kimber Monocle and Monocle XL (with Devialet).
Some cables can make (Monocle xl) or break a system (TC 8), others only bring subtle changes.
All cables in a system matter, not only speaker cables.
Even changing the powerline on my NAS has an impact on the sound.
You don't have to take my word on it, but do try it out for yourself, you will be amazed.

I was just considering using the Kimber 8TC speaker cable in my system. Although you wrote this quite some time ago, could you be more specific in explaining your experience with the 8TC? What do you mean when you say you that it can break a system? Do you think it is not a good choice for a Devialet?

8tc works just fine with Devialet , I used this cable for many years

As for now I'm using Belden cables .also very good cables
(20-Dec-2016, 21:30)no32 Wrote:
(18-Dec-2016, 21:54)Nakatomi63 Wrote:
(13-Jun-2014, 16:12)Hermanh Wrote: In my experience speaker cables do matter.
I've tried Chord Odyssey, Chord Epic (with my previous Naim system), Kimber TC 8 and Kimber Monocle and Monocle XL (with Devialet).
Some cables can make (Monocle xl) or break a system (TC 8), others only bring subtle changes.
All cables in a system matter, not only speaker cables.
Even changing the powerline on my NAS has an impact on the sound.
You don't have to take my word on it, but do try it out for yourself, you will be amazed.

I was just considering using the Kimber 8TC speaker cable in my system. Although you wrote this quite some time ago, could you be more specific in explaining your experience with the 8TC? What do you mean when you say you that it can break a system? Do you think it is not a good choice for a Devialet?

8tc works just fine with Devialet , I used this cable for many years

As for now I'm using Belden cables .also very good cables

Thanks for the reply. Could you indicate which model of Belden you are using now? Better than the 8TC? Although I guess it will also depend on the speakers...
Pro-Ject CD BOX RS--Roon--Qobuz Studio--Technics SL-1200GR--Synergistic Research Tricon Analogue 20th Anniversary--AT-OC9XSL--AudioQuest Niagara 1200--AudioQuest NRG-Z3--Devialet 220 Pro CI--Kimber Kable 4PR--Harbeth SHL5--Sumiko S.9 Subwoofers--Sennheiser HD 540 Reference Gold--IsoAcoustics GAIA II and Orea Graphite
Alicante (Spain)
I don't know if this adds to the discussion, but ... I've historically been a real downer in discussions about speaker cables, stuck in diy store and nothing would move me out of it.   Well until recently, my bro and I got to test/compare his Siltech Silver Anniversary against Nordost Heimdall 2 and Frey 2 on his D250. The Siltech's for our ancient ears definitely fried the Nordost in clarity, fullness of sound and most noticeable staging.  The Siltechs just opened up the stage from just in front of us to either sides of the speakers and out front of them.  

I didn't want to admit what the differences were because I was able to get a great deal on either the Heimdall or Frey at the time and they were the length I needed (16+ ft).  I'm currently running 12TC with good banana plugs, but the Siltech's have left a lasting impression on me that cables can and do effect what is deposited to the speakers. I will be investigating this topic again as I am getting ready to move to a new place and hopefully will not have the limitations my current abode instills on me for location of components (meaning having to have such long speaker cables).  

I am sure there are better options out there and agree with most, now - cables need to be matched to amp/speaker.  Once my move is over, I will be rereading this topic and canvasing the local stores in Vancouver to test out what you good folks have offered up as good matches for our D's, but the Siltech's will definitely on my list of gets.

Thank you for all the great suggestions.

jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
I am currently trying out Audioquest Rocket 44, and I am not impressed by the cable at all. Usually audioquest makes some good cable I have tried their usb, and ethernet cables to good results. But the rocket 44 makes my D440pro sound broken. I am still going to give it a go for another week but not really keen on audioquest speaker cables. I dont have the budget for either the rocket 88 or castle rock. 3m pair of castle rock is like $1800 which is to laugh at, when my speakers cost only $8000. If anyone tried audioquest speaker cables with devialet feel free to give advice. thanks rama
I have heard the AudioQuest Tree series (Redwood and was told the Oak sounded very good too) with Devialet. AudioQuest asks an even more crazy price for this cable than you mention, but I must admit I was impressed by the staging and micro details I heard. So, yes, the two brands can work together. But then again, if I had to decide I would rather invest this kind of budget into a better source, and not part with my MIT speaker cable (SL-Matrix 28s), which somehow brings out better timbres. All depending on speakers and acoustics that is.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
I enjoy my AudioQuest Castle Rock speaker cables more than Blue Jeans Cables (both types) and Red Dragon cables, but I haven't heard others in my current system.
The Audioquest rocket 44 have definitely changed for the better after about 20hrs of burn-in. Soundstage has widened, but the cables still need more burn-in time as instruments sound muddy. The mid-range on these cables is lovely and very life like and has been from the beginning. The cables are good with instrument separation however struggle when it comes to locating it onstage. I shall continue with them and see how they change in about 50 hrs.
I have tried different cables ala Cubala Sosna but will just mention Blue Jeans as a very solid choice and value for money

Have used last year Blue Jeans Canare 4S11 Speaker Cable, with Locking Bananas (very good quality and cold welded connections)

Maybe a age thing but i like them a lot Smile would like to try the Audience 24se ,but would they give me something ten times the price ?
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Which cable to choose from:
Audioquest Flat Rock Meteor or Vertere Xmini/X-Standard speaker cable ?
Mac Mini ----> Audioquest Diamond USB ---> Devialet Expert 250 ---> AudioQuest Meteor ---> Focal Scala Utopia
currently listening to the aq rocket 88. beginning to love this cable. the cable sounds very balanced and no particular frequency is exaggerated. lots of detail, without it ever sounding too forward. soundstage is excellent and instrument placement is spot on. rich mid-range and well rounded bass. this is not at all a forward sounding cable and you wont get the feeling you are sitting in the first row. i am used to listening to silver coated speaker cables which sometimes can have a sense of artificially extended highs, and hence a feeling of being more detailed. well the audioquest rocket 88 has all the detail and the instruments sound natural. would love to convince my dealer to let me try out the castle rock, if anyone has compared the 88 to castle rock please post your impressions.