Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Speaker Cables
(08-Jun-2014, 17:33)f1eng Wrote: I have to admit that I am a cable sceptic.
I used to be convinced I could hear the difference between cables but when I started considering paying a very large sum on some speaker cables I decided to do a test at home.
Back then I had a Spectral DMA180 amp driving Sonus Faber Extremas.
To cut a long story short the only speaker cables which sounded different in a level matched test were those with filters in line, such as MIT, Transparent and Goldmund. The rest all ended up sounding the same, regardless of what I thought before.
Nowadays I just use technically sound cables with good quality connections, since the connector is a potential source of small contact area and poor conductivity.
I have saved a fortune since :-)
I found much the same with interconnects.

I seriously wish I shared your experience. Much to my dismay, I've found that cables make all the difference. High-end audio was just what I read about in magazines until I switched to my current cables. Before then, I couldn't hear any of the details people were talking about. I had no idea what soundstage really meant and thought it was something only experts like my dealer could hear.
(08-Jun-2014, 17:33)f1eng Wrote: I have to admit that I am a cable sceptic. I used to be convinced I could hear the difference between cables but when I started considering paying a very large sum on some speaker cables I decided to do a test at home (...) To cut a long story short the only speaker cables which sounded different in a level matched test were those with filters in line, such as MIT, Transparent and Goldmund. The rest all ended up sounding the same, regardless of what I thought before (...) I have saved a fortune since :-) I found much the same with interconnects.
Totally agreement from my side! We also tested different cables in a price range from a few bugs up to some hundreds per meter with a D-Premier and found absolutely no significant differences in sound quality at all. The sound changes with using DRC and/or some well dosed absorbers (by the way for a fraction of the money) was convincing much more.
IMHO Devialet is a gear that is very very transparent being very natural sounding. So with Devialet we need just good quality copper cables. Some or even majority of expensive cables are ,,changing" sound. They offer extra bass or extra sweetness and so on.... Devialet doesn't need this kind of extra Sth. So we can use just high quality copper cables. I like cables made with OCC copper.
Each to hes own Smile i did choose the Kubala Sosna Emotion because i did like them and their presentation of the music with the Devialet
Roon Nuceleus + Core/Tidal > Rood Ready wired ethernet > Keces P8 LPS > EtherRegan switch > D250 PRO > Sonus Faber Cremona M
Nordost Frey 2 Power cable - Blue Jeans Speaker Cables - Audioquest Diamond and Supra cat8 ethernet cables
Other: Ipad air with ROON Control / Pro Ject ground base - ISO Acoustics Orea - Herbie Tenderfoots 
"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

"and those who were seen dancing were thougt to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Yes, I invested almost £20 in my speaker cables (including postage).
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I'm also a skeptic of audiophile speaker cables. They make a difference but the differences are significantly smaller than the difference a change in amplifiers can make, and the difference between two amplifiers of similar power is already pretty small in the grand scheme of things. Speaker placement, room treatments, and the speakers themselves make the biggest difference by far.
Thorens TD-166 MK II, Intel NUC (Streacom fanless case, Windows 10, Audiophile Optimizer, Roon, HQPlayer and Acourate), HDPlex 100W LPSU, Uptone Regen, Devialet 120, Sonus Faber Liuto, GIK Acoustics Bass Traps
(13-Jun-2014, 00:18)pete86 Wrote: I'm also a skeptic of audiophile speaker cables. They make a difference but the differences are significantly smaller than the difference a change in amplifiers can make, and the difference between two amplifiers of similar power is already pretty small in the grand scheme of things. Speaker placement, room treatments, and the speakers themselves make the biggest difference by far.

In my experience speaker cables do matter.
I've tried Chord Odyssey, Chord Epic (with my previous Naim system), Kimber TC 8 and Kimber Monocle and Monocle XL (with Devialet).
Some cables can make (Monocle xl) or break a system (TC 8), others only bring subtle changes.
All cables in a system matter, not only speaker cables.
Even changing the powerline on my NAS has an impact on the sound.
You don't have to take my word on it, but do try it out for yourself, you will be amazed.
Devialet 440 pro CI, Shunyata Research Sigma S/PDIF RCA link, In-Akustik Referenz LS-4004 Air , B&W 802 Diamond.
Aurender N10, SR Sigma AES/EBU 
2x Paul Pang OCXO dual switch, SR Sigma Ethernet, Acousense GISO GB Lan Isolator
Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2
SR Denali 6000/S V2, SR Alpha NR PL C19, Naim PL C15
IsoAcoustics Gaia I, Orea Bronze & Indigo
Just bought some Viard Audio Design (French) Silver HD20 speaker cables for my Devialet 200. They are a huge upgrade from a rather inexpensive pair of cables I had been using. I have also ordered the Viard Silver HD20 power cable. We'll see how that does in the mix. I am amazed that with my Devialet, Atohm GT1 Devialet "special edition" speakers and cables, I have an all-French system (excluding my Brit speaker stands). Never thought that would happen! Since I am American expat living in France, I can blame it all on the daily trek by a French audio store. I kept seeing what I thought was a mirror on the wall in the store until one day I realized it was... a Devialet. Heart
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(19-Jun-2014, 19:32)Flashman Wrote: Just bought some Viard Audio Design (French) Silver HD20 speaker cables for my Devialet 200. They are a huge upgrade from a rather inexpensive pair of cables I had been using. I have also ordered the Viard Silver HD20 power cable. We'll see how that does in the mix. I am amazed that with my Devialet, Atohm GT1 Devialet "special edition" speakers and cables, I have an all-French system (excluding my Brit speaker stands). Never thought that would happen! Since I am American expat living in France, I can blame it all on the daily trek by a French audio store. I kept seeing what I thought was a mirror on the wall in the store until one day I realized it was... a Devialet. Heart

I was considering trying Viard in my new system. I decided to get Audience Au24SE to try for some months and they're so far excellent. Still interested though in the Viard, so looking forward to more of your impressions as they settle in.
Speaker cables are a tricky thing because they're dependent on the characteristics of the amp and the speakers, plus the tonal balance of the whole system. It would be lovely to figure what the optimum qualities of a cable for a given system would be. I supposed the same could be said for all cables in a system though. Sorry ... late night post-football-losing musings!