Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Speakers
I actually enjoy reading all of this kind of stuff as it helps me understand more. Seems like an excellent innovation to me, from what I understand of it all of course ;-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(04-Jan-2016, 18:24)Womaz Wrote: Just to add the lack of SAM does put me off the other two models, I guess I will be doing the demo with no SAM on the SFs too.

What exactly does SAM do? I have looked on the Devialet website but could not find an explanation

Here's Devialet's white paper describing SAM: http://en.devialet.com/assets/Systems/De...per-EN.pdf (the second half thereof).

I've been trying out potential new speakers myself (must write that up at some point) and faced a similar dilemma about SAM.  Some but not all of the speakers I was interested in had SAM profiles, so there was a question about whether to listen to them with SAM on or off.  At first I listened to all of them without SAM - a level playing field, as I thought - and then eventually tried SAM on the speakers that supported it.  The results were surprising, and made me re-think a decision I'd thought was pretty clear-cut.

In short, enabling SAM for some speakers made a big difference to the bass, but also seemed to make the mid-range and treble sound more "coherent", in some subtle way.  I really didn't expect that.  (Rationalising this after the fact, it might be something to do with the phase correction that SAM does.  I didn't experiment with "dialling down" SAM to see what effect that had, but that might have been an interesting thing to try.)

In the end, I chose speakers that don't have a SAM profile.  This was quite a tough decision but I preferred their sound even compared to the other speakers with SAM enabled.  Also in the back of my mind there was a nagging thought that if I bought speakers that "needed" SAM to sound their best, I might miss it if I ever switched to a different amplifier.

Not sure whether that rambling is any help to you or not...but if you get the chance to try enabling SAM, I'd say it's definitely worth doing so.  It might make all the difference.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(04-Jan-2016, 23:32)thumb5 Wrote:
(04-Jan-2016, 18:24)Womaz Wrote: Just to add the lack of SAM does put me off the other two models, I guess I will be doing the demo with no SAM on the SFs too.

What exactly does SAM do? I have looked on the Devialet website but could not find an explanation

Here's Devialet's white paper describing SAM: http://en.devialet.com/assets/Systems/De...per-EN.pdf (the second half thereof).

I've been trying out potential new speakers myself (must write that up at some point) and faced a similar dilemma about SAM.  Some but not all of the speakers I was interested in had SAM profiles, so there was a question about whether to listen to them with SAM on or off.  At first I listened to all of them without SAM - a level playing field, as I thought - and then eventually tried SAM on the speakers that supported it.  The results were surprising, and made me re-think a decision I'd thought was pretty clear-cut.

In short, enabling SAM for some speakers made a big difference to the bass, but also seemed to make the mid-range and treble sound more "coherent", in some subtle way.  I really didn't expect that.  (Rationalising this after the fact, it might be something to do with the phase correction that SAM does.  I didn't experiment with "dialling down" SAM to see what effect that had, but that might have been an interesting thing to try.)

In the end, I chose speakers that don't have a SAM profile.  This was quite a tough decision but I preferred their sound even compared to the other speakers with SAM enabled.  Also in the back of my mind there was a nagging thought that if I bought speakers that "needed" SAM to sound their best, I might miss it if I ever switched to a different amplifier.

Not sure whether that rambling is any help to you or not...but if you get the chance to try enabling SAM, I'd say it's definitely worth doing so.  It might make all the difference.

In my room and to my ears SAM makes at best, a very subtle difference. But as thumb5 has put it, I would definitely turn it on to see the change. I recall a demo with the Atohm GT1 where I thought SAM made a huge difference.

Nonetheless, and risking sounding boring, within a certain room, speaker's position in my opinion makes all the difference.

Womaz, hope you enjoy the upcoming demo. Take your time and remember, forget about brands and models, ultimately go for the speaker that draws a smile in you face when listening to your favourite tune! Smile

ML
Aurender X100 >> Totaldac USB cable >> D200 >> SF Olympica II

Italy
Some great posts as always, thank you.
I will definitely keep an open mind as its a big decision for me. I know we always think this but for me this will be the system that I grow old with if you like. I certainly wont have this level of capital to fund future purchases as saving for retirement has to be given priority after this. I may add a companion later but only because i think in a few years time they will be cheap on the second hand market.

I really hope the SFs do the job as they will look great in my living room, they are SAM ready and they are from a brand with a great reputation.
The Scansonics are interesting as they are a brand I have never heard of but my dealer seems to rate highly. Made on the same principles as Raidho and they are slim and will also fit in with my living room.
The Ushers i am not so sure about, and then there is the PMC 26s. A few year ago this was my ultimate aim. I will not be able to hear the PMCs in the same demo.

To be honest with my experience with my room acoustics over the last couple of months I think the shop demo are a stepping stone only. I am hoping that I hear a clear winner and that i can then arrange an extended home demo. Of course ideally I would like to hear them all in my room as that is the only way really........but there is no chance of that.

Oh and of course there is the nagging doubt that my room is the real issue here ....and that no speaker will bring about the improvement I am looking for and therefore the 23s could stay.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Well today was the demo day at the dealers place. First of all I think its fair to say i struggle with shop demos as it is hard to take in at times.

First off was the Scansonic MB6 - For me a massive let down. Read so much about these lately and have had some very favourable reports although albeit not for this model. In their defence they were brand new and had only had about 20 hours run in. I know this can make a huge difference, but to me they were very dull, and totally lacked in the bass department. A big disappointment for what is a beautiful looking elegant speaker.

Sonus Faber Olmpica II - loved these straight away, If i was to use one word it would be sweet. That sums them up. Lovely relaxing smooth sound. Bass was good and another beautiful looking speaker.

Usher Mind Dancer 2 - the big surprise for me. I was not expecting much from these but they sounded great too. Bass was absoultely awesome on these , and this was in a room which is not so good for bass apparently. Slight issue was that they could appear a little cloudy to me. Maybe this was the bass being a bit too much. I am not sure. Again a lovely looking speaker.

Martin Logan Vantage, dealer threw a curve ball in with these and again I loved them. Absolutely flooded the room in music. I had never heard Electrostatics before and I was well impressed. Just not so sure I could get away with their looks in my living room.

So on enjoyment , which is surely the best way to measure a speakers performance I would say Martin Logan just pipped the Sonus Fabers but it was very close and I really liked the laid back feel of the SFs. Next was the Ushers and the Scansonics trailed in well behind. Maybe a little unfair as they were brand new and not run in.

Had a great day and three of the speakers I really liked. I now have the SFs on a home demo for a week or so and I will see how I feel.
Initial impressions at home in my lively room are they are very musical and very easy to listen to. Bass is excellent but my lack of room means they are close to rear wall and the bass can be a tad too much at times ( will try with SAM soon).

The 23s are certainly no slouch in comparison mind and they seem to have more attack and bite than all of the others, but as i say i will have a chance to compare more over the next few days.
I was the same with the 200 a year ago when I demoed it. I knew I liked it and when I put my old amp back in there was no going back. it will be interesting to see if the speakers have the same results.
Good stuff!  Sounds like a useful and enjoyable day.  Glad you managed to get the SFs on home demo: as you say, the acid test is probably how you feel when they go back.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(07-Jan-2016, 21:11)thumb5 Wrote: Good stuff!  Sounds like a useful and enjoyable day.  Glad you managed to get the SFs on home demo: as you say, the acid test is probably how you feel when they go back.

If I let them go back ?
Will leave them in all night tonight and then switch back to see what I think
I agree with thumb. I few times I've auditioned something, liked it but not been 100% sure, but when you go back, all becomes abundantly clear.
(07-Jan-2016, 21:19)Confused Wrote: I agree with thumb.  I few times I've auditioned something, liked it but not been 100% sure, but when you go back, all becomes abundantly clear.

Yes that's exactly what happened with the 200 a year ago. I loved it but was not sure it was worth the 6k........then I put my old MF amp in, which I had always loved and genuinely had one of those jaw dropping moments. The 200 was in a different league
Ok impressions a day in. The SFs are sweet and smooth, but .......and there is a but at this stage.
They may lack some punch ....it's hard to say but missing something. It may be that they just overpower the room as the bass is much more prominent..... Hard to put my finger on it.
They do have a much fuller sound than my PMCs
Could the bass issue be because they are not front ported as they have to be close to the rear wall. 18 inches to be precise