Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Signal quality of Mono Sub output
(26-Aug-2014, 22:38)Antoine Wrote: If I don't hear any differences I guess I'll have to fabricate a long enough stereo interlink or buy a cheap one to bypass the Anti-Mode. I'm not sure if only connecting both L+R from the Devialet to the Anti-Mode is enough. How do I know the Anti-Mode does anything with L+R in effect converts it to mono? I really don't know and the manual doesn't tell me anything about it. Maybe it just passes the L channel. I don't even know if that is a problem as I thought low frequency content was always mixed in mono (so equally loud in L and R and in phase).

Hi,

as far as I know the Antimode mixes the stereo input to mono. At least the Antimode 8033sII does, as described on the german website.
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
I haven't listened yet. Could you guys name some samples of music in which the issue is hard to miss? I'll either find it on Spotify or download the track(s) from Usenet. TIA!

@beerman, I've sent an email to DSpeaker support and asked them about the mixing to mono. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
the track "Turners Ship" from Malia/Boris Blank should shake your house...
(28-Aug-2014, 14:45)Antoine Wrote: I haven't listened yet. Could you guys name some samples of music in which the issue is hard to miss? I'll either find it on Spotify or download the track(s) from Usenet. TIA!

@beerman, I've sent an email to DSpeaker support and asked them about the mixing to mono. Smile

Hi Antoine,

actually I find a difference (more energy in the bass with stereo output) with every track I listen to.
But here are some bass-tracks you can try ;-):

Marcus Miller, Jean Pierre from Tutu Revisited (Disc 1)

Catherine Zeta-Jones and others, Cell Block Tango from Chicago (Soundtrack)

Dee Dee Bridgewater, Slow Boat to China from Live at Yoshi´s

Bob Haggart, Big Noise from Winnetka from World´s Greatest Jazz Band

Michelle Shocked, Quality of Mercy from Dead Man Walking (Soundtrack)

Hans Theessink, Slow Train from Slow Train

The King, King of the Road from Return to Splendor

Knut Reiersrud, When Seasons Change from Soul of a Man

Dire Straits, Six Blade Knife from Dire Straits

Jean-Philippe Rameau, Zais - Overture from Une Symphonie Imaginaire (Minkowski, Les Musicians de Louvre)

Enjoy!
Linn LP12 Sondek + Radikal + Urika + Ekos II + EMT HSD006 - roon nucleus + SBooster - Devialet 220 Pro CI - Kef LS50 - Dspeaker Antimode 8033s II + SBooster - Kef KF92 Subwoofer

Bavaria
Thanks for the samples and names of the songs guys! Smile

This morning I received an answer of DSpeaker Support:

Quote:There is unfortunately no stereo to mono operation in the AM2DC like there is on 8033-S/SII, but you can always use our converter on the input to obtain this:

http://verkkokauppa.planeetta.net/epages...ucts/80334

or it can be easily DIY'd:

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/support/using...8033.shtml

I guess I'll have to go buy either such an adapter, an additional identical subwoofer interlink (my preferred option if there really is a problem which I assume there is considering your observations) or a long set of stereo interlinks.

Maybe this answers what the Devialet does 'wrong', maybe it just sends the left channel in mono operation instead of properly summing the left and right channels into one mono channel. Just a thought though, I'm not sure about this at all.

I'm going to think about my next step now. Did any of you hear back of Devialet about a possible solution and maybe when they think they will implement it?
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Hello all - this is a very interesting thread for me, especially as I'm hovering on the brink of buying an Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core. I had assumed that the Anti-Mode would mix stereo inputs to a mono sub output. What you've discovered will no doubt save me some head-scratching...thanks!

Ian
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(29-Aug-2014, 10:45)thumb5 Wrote: Hello all - this is a very interesting thread for me, especially as I'm hovering on the brink of buying an Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core. I had assumed that the Anti-Mode would mix stereo inputs to a mono sub output. What you've discovered will no doubt save me some head-scratching...thanks!

Ian

Hi thumb5,

the Antimode 8033sII does mix left and right channel to mono and will probably be the better solution if you have just one (or two) subwoofers to correct.

Bavaria
(29-Aug-2014, 11:35)beerman Wrote: the Antimode 8033sII does mix left and right channel to mono and will probably be the better solution if you have just one (or two) subwoofers to correct.

Yes, the cold light of logic says that an 8033S-II would probably be a better fit. But I'm being swayed towards the 2.0 by the possibility of having multiple filter profiles (for different listening positions) that could be selected by remote control. Hmm. Maybe that's a gimmick that I wouldn't use in practice...?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
OK, I've decided to pick up a second 3m QED Reference Subwoofer cable this afternoon. Found a shop that has it in stock. I'll simply switch to stereo, my subwoofer has stereo inputs as well so in this way I am sure it'll all operate at it's optimum and if Devialet fixes the issue I can always sell it again. Smile

(29-Aug-2014, 10:45)thumb5 Wrote: Hello all - this is a very interesting thread for me, especially as I'm hovering on the brink of buying an Anti-Mode 2.0 Dual Core. I had assumed that the Anti-Mode would mix stereo inputs to a mono sub output. What you've discovered will no doubt save me some head-scratching...thanks!

Ian

That why I love fora like this one as well. Without Vivialet sharing about the issue I would never have known as well! Smile

The Netherlands
Bought the 2nd subwoofer cable this afternoon and took new measurements.

Main conclusion: when using stereo pre-outs the subwoofer level is +6dB. So it probably is mainly a level thing...

I lowered my sub volume level exactly as much to overlap the 'old volume' and measured. What you can see in the graph is (click it to enlarge the image):

green: original situation, subwoofer is connected to the AM2.0 using a single mono interlink
blue: the sub is connected to the AM2.0 using two mono interlinks (stereo), the D250 is configured to have a stereo pre-out and the AM2.0 is connected in stereo to the AM2.0
purple: same as blue but volume on the sub turned down to match the original volume.

I did look at other things as well in the measurement. Phase is equal but I did notice differences in the 'distortion' graphs. These are actually lower when the sub is connected in stereo. However these graphs seem to be very much influenced by the environment noise during the measurements. So how 'accurate' these really are...........

Before/mono:

After/stereo:

Oh and before you ask, I haven't had time to listen yet. Hope I will later this evening/this coming weekend. Smile

The Netherlands