Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'RoonReady' not coming to Devialet….
For those that don't know, the RoonReady program allows manufacturers to incorporate the new Roon streaming protocol (RAAT, or 'Roon Advanced Audio Transport) into their devices firmware, supporting streaming up to 24/384 and DSD, as well as zoned playback, and volume control etc.  

RAAT is essentially 'Air', but more advanced, open to all manufacturers, and with more functions (such as proper manufacturer integrated volume control) and by all accounts stable (as far as we know from early developers/testers). And this is just at launch.  

A whole host of manufacturers (below) have been announced at CES this week, and we're told a lot more to come:

AURALiC, Audio Alchemy, Bel Canto, Bryston, Cary Audio, Constellation Audio, dCS, Exasound, IQ Audio, LH Labs, Lumin, PS Audio, Small Green Computer, Sonore, SoTM, and TotalDAC.

The reason hardware manufacturers seem to like it, is that they retain responsibility for getting the best SQ out of their device, while Roon is responsible for the front end and delivery of the audio data to the device in a format that requires minimal processing by the hardware.  For manufacturers that have their own streaming software, this instantly gives their customers another option, and takes pressure off their development. For those without, (or with failing ones), it gives them a big boost of a high-end UI.

Sadly, when I approached Devialet about adding it, I was told they're not considering it, and the main reason given was (paraphrasing) 'lack of interest'.  So while a large chunk of high-end audio gear will start to gain advanced streaming capabilities beyond that of Air, us Devialet users will get left behind. For me personally - having never managed to get Air working properly despite it being the main reason I bought into Devialet - it's another blow.

For anyone who uses Roon, or is even considering it, or even people who have given up with Air and are looking for an alternative, all I can suggest is that you to contact Devialet support directly and ask that they implement RoonReady into their next firmware update. Even if you don't use Roon, having it incorporated will do nothing to harm the resale value of your lovely Devialet…..

There's more information on the DAR website here: http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/0...rtnerships.  And lots more over at the Roon forums.

Roon will also launch 'RoonSpeakers' this year, which is the software version enabling users to add the same thing to their computers - initially its thought Mac, Windows, Linux and lightweight devices like the Raspberry Pi will be supported.  This could of course then be connected to your Devialet via USB, but would mean missing out on the lovely minimalist connection direct to the network port, and also missing out on things like control of the Dev's volume, and whatever else they add down the line.

What do other Dev owners think?

Meantime, just for fun, a pic from Auralic of the Aries with RoonSpeakers enabled.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Please help me out in understanding.

I've installed Devialet Air on my Windows laptop. I've created a zone in Roon for the Devialet Air. Additionally I've set it to exclusive mode & event driven mode. The difference in sound quality with my SB touch is really big. Using it this way am I not streaming bit perfect and hence Air quality?
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(11-Jan-2016, 17:23)Hifi_swlon Wrote: For anyone who uses Roon, or is even considering it, or even people who have given up with Air and are looking for an alternative, all I can suggest is that you to contact Devialet support directly and ask that they implement RoonReady into their next firmware update.

Done Smile I haven't got any answer yet but I truly hope that they will add it to the roadmap.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(11-Jan-2016, 18:00)iamwappie Wrote: Please help me out in understanding.

I've installed Devialet Air on my Windows laptop. I've created a zone in Roon for the Devialet Air. Additionally I've set it to exclusive mode & event driven mode. The difference in sound quality with my SB touch is really big. Using it this way am I not streaming bit perfect and hence Air quality?

Yes, you are.  Since Air works for you, this is probably a nice setup. What RoonReady would allow you to do additionally is control the Devialet's volume from Roon, potentially stream higher bitrate and DSD. It would also make you less reliant on Devialet for Air updates if it stops working at the next windows update….

For those of us on Macs*, (or Linux), or with Air issues generally, Air isn't an option so would give us a working solution.

*(Exclusive mode doesn't work on Macs with Air/Roon, and Roon have been unable to get any info from Devialet to allow them to fix it or find a workaround)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I'm wondering if it's even possible to run the required RAAT software package inside the Expert range.

For Phantom using the Dialog it should be no issue at all but there's probably not enough memory and computing power available on the DUET interface card, or elsewhere, inside our 'Experts'. There's only 32MB of memory and a lightweight FPGA (Altera CycloneIII EP3C5) on the DUET besides the DSP (Analog Devices ADSP-21488). Don't think this is powerful enough but mind you I am not an embedded systems developer (I'm not a developer at all. Wink) See attachment for a picture of the DUET card, mind you it's much smaller than it appears.

What would be possible in my view is adapting AIR2 to support it. Unfortunately while Roon has been willing to work with Devialet, Devialet has chosen to not respond to Roon soon after initial contact was made.

For Phantom they've chosen to simply deny working together with Roon as Devialet wants their users to use Spark.

Let's face it. The Expert in it's basis is NOT a streamer, it's an integrated amplifier with DAC and phono amplifier. It's a bit sad though that they seem to have given up on the initial AIR promise although it could still be possible they're working on a successor like AIR3 which might require a new DUET interface card and/or WiFi module. I'm not holding my breath for it though! Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(11-Jan-2016, 18:04)Antoine Wrote: I'm wondering if it's even possible to run the required RAAT software package inside the Expert range.

For Phantom using the Dialog it should be no issue at all but there's probably not enough memory and computing power available on the DUET interface card, or elsewhere, inside our 'Experts'. There's only 32MB of memory and a lightweight FPGA (Altera CycloneIII EP3C5) on the DUET besides the DSP (Analog Devices ADSP-21488).

I will ask the Roon developers what it requires - I can only imagine it is incredibly lightweight as its intended to be integrated into a whole host of hardware - not just the most advanced/high-end - but I'm no expert...

I'm guessing 99% of the streamers on the market today are more powerful then what's inside the Expert and the biggest part of those 99% probably have general purpose CPU's, contain much more memory and run some kind of Linux distribution. People in general overestimate the computing capabilities of the Expert. Again it's not a streamer in it's basis.

BTW Devialet has gone the same way as other manufaturers with the Dialog. There's a a lot of reasons for that (cheap stand-alone hardware, can be replaced when obsolete but most important it can run open standards/open source software)

I'm curious to the answer of Roon though but I suspect their RAAT is also made for Linux only (besides Windows and OS X)
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
A bit of honesty and openness from Devialet would be welcome. If it technically can't be done, then why not just say so? Meanwhile, for them to pretend that there is little interest is complete nonsense. There is an obvious synergy between the two products, and in the light of their failure to fix AIR it could be a perfect solution. Their arrogance will be the ruin of them. On a more positive note, I upgraded my D400 to v9.0 firmware at the weekend, and since then, AIR has been running continuously for around 48 hours without a single BSOD or other glitch. Probably just coincidence, but maybe, just maybe . . . .
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
I have not tried the SonicOrbiter, but I have always found AIR (when it works...) to sound significantly better than USB when I have compared both from my NUC source.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
I've written it many times before (no offense) a standard off the shelf computer will sound better using AIR than USB. However USB can easily surpass AIR in quality after optimizing a PC as a music server. Unfortunately the/a NUC isn't really suited for this. A CAPS style PC for example is.

A new SonicOrbiter has just been released by the way, the SE. It's based on a low power Cubox. I've experimented with a Cubox i4Pro in the past and it sounded good though not as good as my custom music server. There's a topic about the Cubox somewhere on this forum by Kunter, although of course this Sonic Orbiter runs the software with the same name. It might be a lot better, I don't know. Smile

The Netherlands