Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tone control
Dear All,
Slowly, as a newbie,  especially with the assistance  of the threads here, have been learning the little SDCard dance we must perform with Configurator.....odd process.  As someone wisely asked, "why isn't this just via wifi?" But it has that old world charm...love it.
Was reading today about shutting down DPM so began the Configurator to shut it down which lead to some further exploration of the options I have and then noticed the balance and tone controls with a  default setting of small boosts to both treble and base.  
Wassup?
Anyone playing around with these and why the default boost?  Or?
Best,
Wdw
Set them to 0 .. I think it remembers the last settings..I don't like the tone controls , even using them with a small boost or cut seems to affect more than just tone..the sound seems to harden up , especially when using treble.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(19-Jan-2016, 04:02)Wdw Wrote: snip...... As someone wisely asked, "why isn't this just via wifi?" But it has that old world charm...love it......

I think it's not via wifi because the configuration items include items that are setup post boot (and are not hot-swappable, such as changing input/output functions at the hardware (socket interface) etc). If the configurator were only used for things like tone settings, then it would surely have been possible to build an architecture that allowed update of these parameters via (say) wifi. 

Because the Dev Configurator is much more invasive in its configuration possibilities, including the WIFI configuration, then you could not use the current architecture to reconfigure the unit parameters over wifi (except if the Wifi config was separated from the remainder of the configuration process and decoupled from the post-boot reading of the config table). Even if they had done it this way, it would have led to a 2-stage post-boot architecture which would have been a mess.

It seems a fairly logical and safe approach, necessary because of the unique ability that the Dev allows reconfiguration of very fundamental items right down at the level of the hardware/software interface. It also ensures that the user is not dependent on wifi to configure the unit !!!! (which could be unavailable for any number of reasons). 

I appreciate this approach for the reasons mentioned above.....
ymmv of course !
mike
Sorry but some people here...LOL Big Grin

Those are not "boosts" but cut off frequency's. You can't setup a level except with the remote.

You can also disable DPM with the remote BTW, at least with the last two firmware versions.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(19-Jan-2016, 19:49)Antoine Wrote: Sorry but some people here...LOL Big Grin

Those are not "boosts" but cut off frequency's. You can't setup a level except with the remote.

You can also disable DPM with the remote BTW, at least with the last two firmware versions.

OK, so I'm a dummy....in the absense of a manual of any breadth, I have no idea what is intended by this control feature.  Cut off frequencies?  Perhaps you could elaborate.
Thanks,
wdw
It's described on the Devialet support site.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...nd-balance

And in more detail in the manuals accompanying firmware updates since v8, for example:

http://www.devialet.com/docs/manual-8-1.pdf
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands