Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deviousalet's System
Great insights thanks. I went from 802 D3 down to 803 D3 which fit the listening position even better. How would you rate them in view of Robin Hood combo bi-wire? The Zero has 15AWG and the Bass has also 15AWG - so no good idea? It's of course a matter if the Thunderbird combo is performing 3times better what the price difference to the Thunderbird combo would be about.

On the ethernet cables I got a Supra CAT7 till now, but your input keeps my trying an upgrade here too Smile
From my experience I would suggest that the 803d3 needs a larger-gauge speaker cable than 12AWG (or 15AWG doubled in bi-wire). I would guess that while superior technology, such as Audioquest Zero, would improve the details the bass will be quite lacking compared to what's achievable with an older but larger cable. So I'd suggest an older series, buying used, or whatever way you can afford something larger than 12AWG in total (larger than two runs of 15AWG if bi-wired). I'm not minimizing the improvement of the latest technology, but am thoroughly impressed by the increase in bass I got from larger-gauge cables.

Ethernet cables make a far smaller difference than the speaker cables or link cable, but there's ample opportunity for tweaking there if you enjoy that. Some people hear no difference, which is very convenient for the budget. I enjoy tweaking occasionally as part of the hobby, but that's preference. I enjoy hearing the small improvements I can get, but mostly enjoy listening to music. Some differences, like the massive increase in bass (quantity and quality) I got from larger speaker cables, increase my enjoyment of the music much more than little tweaks.
Oh just realized got my sentence wrong - should be:
It's of course a matter if the Thunderbird combo is performing 3times better what the price difference to the Robin Hood combo would be about.
Sure the more you step up in the speaker cable hierarchy the better performance you get. But price / value/performance ratio is also something I have to consider - budget restricting me on various areas.
I got it. That's why I recommended trying thicker gauge instead of the latest technology. I wouldn't recommend the Thunderbird as the most cost-effective upgrade (they're silly expensive), and might prefer Aspen (old but thick) to Robin Hood (new but thin). I'm interested what you find, but that's the way it plays out in my system.
My latest upgrade is an UpTone Audio EtherRegen, replacing a computer-grade ethernet switch. The improvement wasn't massive but easily noticeable, with greater bloom to instruments and a fuller sound overall. This was further improved when powered by an Uptone UltraCap LPS-1.2 power supply. These tweaks are definitely in the territory of diminishing returns not cost-effective, but still very enjoyable. I didn't bother to test this, but I think that the ethernet cables made more of a difference. I'm sitting here freshly amazed by the music, which is great fun.
Having recently upgraded from Stealth M7000 power rods on my D400 to Synergistic Research Galileo UEF I'm stunned by the improvement. A much bigger jump than going frm D200 to D400. Every single thing across the board is elevated - it's comparable to switching from mid-range bookshelves to high-end floor-standing speakers. HUGE!
Expensive yes, but worth every penny, I'm still wondering what the newer SR SX power rods might do?
Also, I then upgraded from very good Purist Audio Design Venustas speaker cables to SR Atmosphere Euphoria the entire system came alive.
Don't buy into the SR naysayers - the stuff works plain and simple.
If in doubt use the Cable Company lending library and try for your self - just be prepared to keep them!
1Gb Fiber/Comcast WiFi6 router with Linear Power Supply- Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Intel NUC817BEH with linear power supply and silver cabling - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Etherregen - Wireworld Platinum 8 Ethernet - Goal Zero Yeti 1400 lithium power generator - Devialet D400 with Synergistic Research Galileo UEF power cables on self-designed three-stage isolation stand - Stealth Audio Sextet V14 digital RCA - Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria speaker cables - Magico S5 - Pair JL Audio Fathom F112 and Stealth Audio M7000 Power Cables, Synergistic Research Sub cable - 7mx9m room, treated with acoustic panels, Synergistic Research HFT on speakers and walls (stage3), Synergistic Research Black Box,  All cables on wooden block risers

Yes - everything matters!