Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold sound
(20-Jan-2016, 22:33)moreno1973 Wrote: Turn off DPM in configurator. Install firmware 7.1.3 beta or 9.0.1.
Use copper cables with great musicality like Kondo SPc.
Devialet is not a tube like gear. 

Yes, copper cables from Kondo definitely sound warmer / darker than many others.

I would also check the room acoustics. It will make a big difference if done properly.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(20-Jan-2016, 22:39)TDA Wrote: I will try and switch of DPM

But I will not buy new speakers because of this. Dev should run the speakers properly and shouldn't sound like this.

That for sure.

I agree with you TDA. The 200 (and now 400) should absolutely work well with your speakers. If the sound is thin/aggressive it may be due to lack of break-in, but one can not rule our digital clipping, either as too high level or as inter-sample clipping. I've experienced this and was able to fix it by adding attenuation to the convolution config (JRiver or Brutefir). One way to test this is using an analog source to the line input of your D, making sure the analog input level does not produce clipping. There is a sensitivity setting for the line input in Configurator.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(21-Jan-2016, 13:00)ogs Wrote:
(20-Jan-2016, 22:39)TDA Wrote: I will try and switch of DPM

But I will not buy new speakers because of this. Dev should run the speakers properly and shouldn't sound like this.

That for sure.

I agree with you TDA. The 200 (and now 400) should absolutely work well with your speakers. If the sound is thin/aggressive it may be due to lack of break-in, but one can not rule our digital clipping, either as too high level or as inter-sample clipping. I've experienced this and was able to fix it by adding attenuation to the convolution config (JRiver or Brutefir). One way to test this is using an analog source to the line input of your D, making sure the analog input level does not produce clipping. There is a sensitivity setting for the line input in Configurator.

thanks for answer. i don't have any gear that i can connect analog right now.

My TV is connected via optical. sounds very bad on TV. With both tv and movies.

my simaudio moon 180 mind is connected via AES/EBU digital cable. The cable is new and so is the mind and amp. so maybe it is break-in. i sure hope so.

i am not a completely newbie to this game. So i know that things need to break in. But i have not heard of electronics that could gain so much of break in. I have heard speakers that have evolved very drasticly to the better over time.

I sure hope that i will be laughing about this in a couple of months.. but right now i am very frustrated. I have bought 3 big acoustic paintings which covers all the walls next and back of me. So acoustics should not be THAT big of a deal. Acoustics in my room is very bad, but it was that before these amps. you must know that i only changed the amp right now.. before was an old amp to  1/10 of the price... and it sounded better than this.
For what it is worth. I am in the process of breaking in my Devialet 200, using new Digital cable and two new powercords. It has been more than three weeks now of 24/7 playing internet radio and it is just now becoming more pleasurable to listen to music. After two weeks I even contacted my dealer to ask what could be wrong. But he urged me to be patient, so I was. First 2 and a half weeks highs where harsh and lows and mids were almost absent. Unpleasent to listen to music, so I hardly did and was pretty disappointed.
Started to recognize the sound I was used to hearing when demoing the D200 at home after three to four weeks (500+ hours or so), but music reproduction is still improving. Lows still need to firm up a bit, but getting goose bumps again. Maybe too many new parts slow burning in process. So just keep the faith.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(21-Jan-2016, 15:52)kerkhoffd Wrote: For what it is worth. I am in the process of breaking in my Devialet 200, using new Digital cable and two new powercords. It has been more than three weeks now of 24/7 playing internet radio and it is just now becoming more pleasurable to listen to music. After two weeks I even contacted my dealer to ask what could be wrong. But he urgentie me to be patiënt so I was. First 2 and a half weeks highs where harsh and lows and mids were almost absent. Impleasent to listen to music, so I hardly did and was pretty gutted.
Started to recognize the sound I was hearing when demoing the D200 at home after three weeks (500 hours or so), but music reproducties is still improving. Lows still need to firm up a bit, but getting goose bumps again. Maybe too many new parts slow burning in process. So just keep the faith.

Hey..

Thank you for commenting. This is what I need to hear.

All my gear is brand new. But heard my speakers with a old amp before the devs arrived..

I must wait and see how they improve over time... But it is very hard to believe in it right now. Listening to it at the moment and it sounds like shit. My girlfriend says it sounds like where playing music in a metal box... And right now it's hard to explain the price tag I just payed for this..
(21-Jan-2016, 14:56)TDA Wrote: my simaudio moon 180 mind is connected via AES/EBU digital cable. The cable is new and so is the mind and amp. so maybe it is break-in. i sure hope so.

I've had my amp for a long time. It started as a D-Premier in 2012. I do not think the break-in was a big problem back then, but I honestly do not remember. I upgraded the amp to the new hardware platform during summer 2014. When I got it back from Paris the break-in was quite long - around two to three months. So yes, lack of break-in is most probably what you are hearing. For the Mind + cables and 400 anyway.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Right now I am hearing music from tidal on the mind. And it sounds like the artist has a hand in front of his mouth..

I will just play music and see what happens over time..

Should have bought a used system :-)
Could you ask your dealer to come and have a listen to your system, and maybe make sure there aren't any configuration problems, etc.?

I think I must have been fortunate because I didn't hear any changes - my original 200 sounded great right out of the box, as did the companion I added later. But I know lots of people here have reported their units took a long time to "come right", so maybe it is just a matter of being patient...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I already called my dealer, and they also say it's burn in..

I guess I must wait until it has played for some weeks..

If I don't throw it out the window before
(21-Jan-2016, 17:58)thumb5 Wrote: Could you ask your dealer to come and have a listen to your system, and maybe make sure there aren't any configuration problems, etc.?

I think I must have been fortunate because I didn't hear any changes - my original 200 sounded great right out of the box, as did the companion I added later.  But I know lots of people here have reported their units took a long time to "come right", so maybe it is just a matter of being patient...

I was just about to post exactly the same. Has your dealer heard the system in your home?
I am the same my unit sounded great straight out of the box. If I was you I would really want my dealer to come out and hear it for himself
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England