Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB to SPDIF Convertors ideal?
Curious if many here are using an USB to SPDIF convertor device?  

As noted in some recent reviews, even with the new top tier Berkeley Reference DAC, the manufacturer (Berkeley) even recommended using their USB to SPDIF convertor for superior sound.  

In context, I'm looking at purchasing one of the Aurender models. The newer lower models provide USB output only.  The top tier models put out the full complement (AES, SPDIF, USB, etc).  I have an opportunity to purchase a friends S10 for approximately the cost of a newer X100 model and attempting to evaluate if an USB to SPDIF convertor may really be needed to optimize the X100 (or N100).

In theory, should the SPDIF out (or AES) of the Aurender be the ideal digital signal (by avoiding the kluge USB conversion) and go to matching Devialet input?  

Thanks!
Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
the N10 will have AES & SPDIF too but you will have to wait till March or longer!
On topic but maybe for a different reason. I have the Aurender X100 and very happy with the sound quality of the USB out to my D400 USB input. However, now that I'm contemplating the Dialog,which for now will only connect to the D series via USB it will compete with my Aurender on which one of them will get the USB connection. Accordingly I'm curious to learn more about USB to SPDIF converters as it well allow me to connect both simultaneously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
One of the best USB to spdif converters and one of the cheapest is the miniDSP ministreamer. $35
It doesnt come in a case , but thats no issue , takes power from USB bus , plug and play , no drivers needed.
sound Quality is superb...
It also does SPDIF to usb in , so you can record your digital sources too..
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
I have an Aurender X100L and use an Audiophilleo USB-SPDIF converter.
I did not buy the Audiophilleo for this purpose but already had it prior to buying the Devialet & Aurender.

My brief experience (comparing Audiophilleo USB or direct to Devialet USB) is that I prefer the Audiophilleo. I have to say, though, that the Audiophilleo is IMHO rather good; I have no experience with other converters but from what I read they are certainly not all equal - this makes me think that in some cases USB direct to Devialet may be better, so a trial with your chosen converter is really a must.....
(13-Jan-2015, 08:56)krass Wrote: My brief experience (comparing Audiophilleo USB or direct to Devialet USB) is that I prefer the Audiophilleo.

This sounds promising. Thanks for sharing

Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
(13-Jan-2015, 08:10)Rodney Gold Wrote: One of the best USB to spdif converters and one of the cheapest is the miniDSP ministreamer. $35
It doesnt come in a case , but thats no issue , takes power from USB bus , plug and play , no drivers needed.
sound Quality is superb...
It also does SPDIF to usb in , so you can record your digital sources too..

Thanks Rodney. Did you get to compare the miniDSP vs direct USB connection in term of SQ?

Dubai, UAE
Did you get to compare the miniDSP vs direct USB connection in term of SQ?

I had compared it to a squeezebox touches digital output as well streaming with AIR
Unfortunately I have the D-premier and not the 250 , so couldnt compare raw usb output to usb converted to SPDIF

I have used this converter into different systems and IMO there was no difference between feeding the dacs SPDIF vs USB. 
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
(13-Jan-2015, 12:17)Rodney Gold Wrote: Did you get to compare the miniDSP vs direct USB connection in term of SQ?

I had compared it to a squeezebox touches digital output as well streaming with AIR
Unfortunately I have the D-premier and not the 250 , so couldnt compare raw usb output to usb converted to SPDIF

I have used this converter into different systems and IMO there was no difference between feeding the dacs SPDIF vs USB. 

Thanks. This is very helpful

Dubai, UAE
$35 is chicken feed.. no nonsense pricing for an excellent product. excellent service from miniDSP. as well..highly recomended co to deal with.