Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looks like the little 120 got the better of Jeff Fritz
As a follow up on his review of the 120, Jeff has given up the Worlds Best Audio System column...

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...n-on-twbas
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I think that Mr. Jeff Fritz is one of not many reviewers saying Real Truth about tested products. Now High-End is full crazy prices so Devialet's products shows what can be achived for a price of just one High End power cable:-)
http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...n-on-twbas

"But the biggest reason has to do with the high-end audio industry and my perceptions of it. I think that, for a while, I deceived myself into thinking that the more money you spend on audio, the greater the return. I now know that this is the great fallacy of high-end audio. Sure, within some lines -- Magico’s and Rockport’s come to mind -- the more you spend, the better the product indeed is. But from company to company, and within the lines of some companies, it’s anything but a hard-and-fast rule, or even something that’s only generally true.

I can think of no better example of cost not equating with performance than the components made by Devialet. My experience with their 120 integrated amplifier-DAC was a real ear-opener -- at only $6495, it embarrassed most other electronics, regardless of price. Trophy hunters looking for bragging rights won’t want to admit that, and I understand. I certainly would hate to find out that my $100,000 set of electronics can’t compete with a li’l ol’ Devialet. Because of this, it would be hard for me to justify continuing to write a column that discussed only the highest-priced gear."

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
And this one (!) :

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...h-devialet

"In my opinion, there is nowhere to go after Devialet, even if you spend multiples of its price. Good luck with your purchase and your system. . . . Jeff Fritz"
There's quite a long way to go just sticking with Devialet - 120 to 200 to 250 to dual mono to quad mono, bi-amp........
Where do you go when you have an 800 and speakers with 109dB/watt sensitivity?
And don't write cables, been there, done that...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(02-Sep-2014, 18:26)f1eng Wrote: Where do you go when you have an 800 and speakers with 109dB/watt sensitivity?

I believe the answer here is to sell one of your Devialets and be happy with the 250. Oh, and buy some excellent seats to the local symphony, or to the Vienna Philharmonic with first class airfare to Vienna (or to Kate Bush in London, whatever floats your musical boat). Wink
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
(02-Sep-2014, 18:26)f1eng Wrote: Where do you go when you have an 800 and speakers with 109dB/watt sensitivity?

That's very funny Frank! Good to have you back in the forum Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
There are ALWAYS better speakers to buy...

You go very loud, very loud indeed. Then, quite possibly, you go deaf too.

(02-Sep-2014, 19:40)Ekmanc Wrote: There are ALWAYS better speakers to buy...

Unless you already have a pair of the undisputed best speakers in the world?

Plus, it's a damn shame those Tune Audio's can't be tri-amped, then you could go for the daisy chained D2400......