Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cables for Devialet D200
*sigh*

Again, nobody has ever been able to distinguish between speaker cables in blind tests. Of course, there may be minuscule differences in the way different cables measure, but there's no evidence these differences are audible.

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
Sonos Connect (W4S) > Devialet 200 > Vivid V1.5
Silver Phantoms (just the two)
London
Could we acknowledge that to some people cables make no difference while others hear a difference? That seems a balanced answer to the original question of this thread. Then the OP's ears can settle the matter rather than our words, and if the OP hears a difference between cables those who do as well can recommend which cables to try and those who hear no difference between cables can rest having educated the OP that many people don't hear a difference between cables so it isn't worth spending money if the OP hears no difference.
(01-Feb-2016, 15:58)deviousalet Wrote: Could we acknowledge that to some people cables make no difference while others hear a difference? That seems a balanced answer to the original question of this thread. Then the OP's ears can settle the matter rather than our words, and if the OP hears a difference between cables those who do as well can recommend which cables to try and those who hear no difference between cables can rest having educated the OP that many people don't hear a difference between cables so it isn't worth spending money if the OP hears no difference.

I think this is a good post otherwise this forum could go the way of many others
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(01-Feb-2016, 15:58)deviousalet Wrote: Could we acknowledge that to some people cables make no difference while others hear a difference? That seems a balanced answer to the original question of this thread. Then the OP's ears can settle the matter rather than our words, and if the OP hears a difference between cables those who do as well can recommend which cables to try and those who hear no difference between cables can rest having educated the OP that many people don't hear a difference between cables so it isn't worth spending money if the OP hears no difference.

By all means do take that position. You'll have to excuse me if I can't. These are after all matters of objective fact, and not matters of taste.  Smile

Sonos Connect (W4S) > DSpeaker Antimode 2.0 > Sanders Magtech > Martin Logan Montis
London
This has been an ongoing discussion since we started using larger gauge electrical cords for our speakers. I was first aware of the discussion in 1964 and became a believer in 1965 when I finally tried it for myself. I think that we shouldn't disparage those who believe as we do. Just agree to disagree. Thank you @divousalet for your reasoned post.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
My only interest in this is to save the OP some money, which I think we can all agree is a good thing. To that end it does seem important to point out that

1. a decent gauge copper cable is a good thing

2. aside from that, there's no evidence that audiophile cables improve sound quality.

London
(01-Feb-2016, 21:02)Jwg1749 Wrote: My only interest in this is to save the OP some money, which I think we can all agree is a good thing. To that end it does seem important to point out that

2. aside from that, there's no evidence that audiophile cables improve sound quality.
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
I'll disagree with you jwg1749. I recently compared some 12 ga ofc speaker wire with a set of well known mid priced cables and thought that the 12 ga wire sounded better! I wasn't prepared for that result but after a few hours of listening that's what I thought. I would encourage anyone who is curious to try this inexpensive test. I got the wire from Monoprice.
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
(01-Feb-2016, 21:02)Jwg1749 Wrote: My only interest in this is to save the OP some money, which I think we can all agree is a good thing. To that end it does seem important to point out that

Right on.  This is objective fact.  Science is not a matter of opinion.

My position comes from experience as an ear, nose, and throat surgeon and the considerable amount of otologic/audiologic training inherent to that field.  There is a defined threshold and resolution to human hearing that, again, is a matter of science fact and not audiophile dreaming.  Having said that, there is the matter of psychoacoustics.  Having spent thousands of dollars on speaker cable, it is completely conceivable that an individual would subconsciously prefer the sound of their new purchase as more [insert pretentious audiophile adjective] than their prior cables.  The placebo effect.  Another well defined scientific fact.  Identical to the perceived relief of pain demonstrated in double blind controlled studies when you provide participants with sugar pills and not the analgesic they thought they received.

So, no, I do not agree that some "hear" a difference and others do not.  Rather, some "perceive" a difference...but that has absolutely nothing to do with their hearing.  This perception of improvement is worth significant financial outlay to some -- indeed, many "audiophile" manufacturers of snake oil products absolutely count on it.
QNAP TS-453 > ROON on Intel NUC 5i5RYK running Win10 > AIR ethernet to D200 via router > Focal Sopra No 2
(02-Feb-2016, 06:01)El_Duderino Wrote:

Right on.  This is objective fact.  Science is not a matter of opinion.

My position comes from experience as an ear, nose, and throat surgeon and the considerable amount of otologic/audiologic training inherent to that field.  There is a defined threshold and resolution to human hearing that, again, is a matter of science fact and not audiophile dreaming.  Having said that, there is the matter of psychoacoustics.  Having spent thousands of dollars on speaker cable, it is completely conceivable that an individual would subconsciously prefer the sound of their new purchase as more [insert pretentious audiophile adjective] than their prior cables.  The placebo effect.  Another well defined scientific fact.  Identical to the perceived relief of pain demonstrated in double blind controlled studies when you provide participants with sugar pills and not the analgesic they thought they received.

So, no, I do not agree that some "hear" a difference and others do not.  Rather, some "perceive" a difference...but that has absolutely nothing to do with their hearing.  This perception of improvement is worth significant financial outlay to some -- indeed, many "audiophile" manufacturers of snake oil products absolutely count on it.

Yes its very important to use the correct term - perception is all.

The Emperor's new clothes is the longest running story in town.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers