Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Speakers - something *unconventional*
OK, so I'm still looking for new speakers, but could use some help/ideas on what to demo next - and I'm really looking for something a bit less conventional.

My speakers currently sit at either end of a sofa, and there's little option to move them.  I'm currently using PMC Fact 8's, and as beautiful as they are, they're a bit like having a 'wall' at each end, as despite being thin, they're a metre tall and pretty deep at 40cm. They're placed near to a wall, and in corners a bit too.

So I want something less tall, less deep, and less 'box' shaped.  Oh, and to sound amazing and be under £6K (cheaper is fine too, I'm not a snob). Second hand is fine too.

I want more bass slam than I get from my Facts but I can deal with that using room correction if I have to. The Facts actually had quite a bit more to give.....

I saw the new Wilson Sabina's at my last demo. I thought they looked beautiful, and would fit the bill. Except they're out of my price bracket and I didn't 100% think they sounded great on the end of a Le 200.

Demo'd the Sonus Faber O II's that Womaz is currently enjoying. Beautiful and sounded good, but pretty much the same size as the Facts so they're out.

I googled 'unconventional speakers' and saw some great lookers but mostly huge horn type speakers or things I'd need to sell my house to buy!

So, in short, I want something small-ish, beautiful, reasonably priced, can knock me over with bass, and won't give me cardiac arrest when I see the price tag.  Wink I've got a baby coming this summer too, so something a little more robust is probably not a bad thing to think about at this stage.

Ok, so I don't want much but there must be something that ticks some boxes... but I've no idea what.....  
Any suggestions?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(30-Jan-2016, 23:32)Hifi_swlon Wrote: OK, so I'm still looking for new speakers, but could use some help/ideas on what to demo next - and I'm really looking for something a bit less conventional.

My speakers currently sit at either end of a sofa, and there's little option to move them.  I'm currently using PMC Fact 8's, and as beautiful as they are, they're a bit like having a 'wall' at each end, as despite being thin, they're a metre tall and pretty deep at 40cm. They're placed near to a wall, and in corners a bit too.

So I want something less tall, less deep, and less 'box' shaped.  Oh, and to sound amazing and be under £6K (cheaper is fine too, I'm not a snob). Second hand is fine too.

I want more bass slam than I get from my Facts but I can deal with that using room correction if I have to. The Facts actually had quite a bit more to give.....

I saw the new Wilson Sabina's at my last demo. I thought they looked beautiful, and would fit the bill. Except they're out of my price bracket and I didn't 100% think they sounded great on the end of a Le 200.

Demo'd the Sonus Faber O II's that Womaz is currently enjoying. Beautiful and sounded good, but pretty much the same size as the Facts so they're out.

I googled 'unconventional speakers' and saw some great lookers but mostly huge horn type speakers or things I'd need to sell my house to buy!

So, in short, I want something small-ish, beautiful, reasonably priced, can knock me over with bass, and won't give me cardiac arrest when I see the price tag.  Wink I've got a baby coming this summer too, so something a little more robust is probably not a bad thing to think about at this stage.

Ok, so I don't want much but there must be something that ticks some boxes... but I've no idea what.....  
Any suggestions?

You don't say whether a sub can be used, but anyway, have a look at these. *Well* within your budget and kinda groovy looking!: http://www.audiologica.co.uk/anthony_gal...trada.html or even these: http://www.audiologica.co.uk/eclipse/ecl...z_mk2.html
How about these?: http://www.audiologica.co.uk/german-physiks/
Richard, who runs Audiologica is a very nice guy and, I'm sure, would bring the speakers to you for a demo and Horsham is not far from Sarf London.

Happy hunting!

Al.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I have never heard these but they certainly look different and not at all boxy:

http://www.elipson.com/en/model/234_bs-50-Tribute.html

http://www.bornrich.com/soee-soundesign-...akers.html
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I am tempted to suggest a pair of Phantoms Smile (tongue firmly in cheek...)

If you can stretch your budget a little, there are some ex-demo Vivid B-1s available here: https://audiolounge.co.uk/pa_brand/vivid-audio.  I've never heard any -- and the looks are not really my cup of tea -- but they're certainly not boxy, and reviews say they have punchy bass.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Shahinian Obelisks?
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
OK, something left field.
A pair of Atohm GT1 SEs on very heavy stands with a subwoofer?
They sound beautiful, are very unobtrusive on stands and if you cant get what you want with SAM use a sub?
They are a great compromise on sound/looks/size, go brilliantly with Devialet and nice filled stands will keep them away from toddlers fingers - seriously you want nothing with drivers at arms reach!!!
Devialet 250 FW 9.0.1 SOLD
Replaced with Naim NSC222 and NAP250 NC

Atohm GT SE1, REL stereo Subwoofers. Atacama stands filled with atabites. Granite speaker stand plinths. Mogami speaker cables, Music Works heavy duty power cable.
Quadraspire 'toilet seat' acrylic rack
Sources:
1. Mac Mini 2021 M1
- Qobuz/Audirvana Studio/ Audirvana app on iPad (Via Mac mini)
2. Vertere DG-1 with Magneto upgraded to fine line stylus

I own both German Physics Unlimited IIs and Gallo speakers. They are both excellent, but the GPs are amazing -- in particular now with SAM. They do something different than any other speakers I've heard, except MBLs which are way out of your price range. Once you've heard them it's very difficult to go back. I replaced my GPs with far more expensive speakers BUT I couldn't bear to sell them.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Thanks for all the suggestions so far - definitely things there to try and listen to.

German physics weren't on my radar but are definitely of interest - still quite tall but not too deep and seem a bit more unique.  

The Oval Vivids aren't to my taste really, but I love the look of the G4 but would have to try and find a real deal on those. The drivers have protective grilles too. Hard to demo as don't want to waste dealers time on something I couldn't afford new.

Obelisks were previously on my shortlist but I didn't like the idea of having to wheel them into space - especially if I still need room correction.....

The Gallo's look nice too....

Phantoms - don't get me started! Wink I'd already have bought a pair by now if there were just a few things different about them..... Until I run out of other ideas I'm leaving them out of the equation.

I may even to the ahtoms but I prefer the floor stander look if I'm honest.

Ok, time to try and book some demo's!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

My other thought was Avalon Idea. A box, admittedly, but maybe different enough?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
There's also Larsen: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles...udspeaker/
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C