Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
He he he… that would make sense yes.

Fortunately the Mutec is the cheapest of all the components in the system. :-)
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(18-Sep-2021, 13:54)bernardl Wrote: Dear Mutec users,

I have finally put together my dream system based on a Mutec MC-3 usb fed by a Paul Hynes LPS.

Mojo Evo USB -> Mutec (clocked by a Cybershaft OP21A) -> AES/EBU -> Devialet 1000

Would you mind sharing your Mutec configuration?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

I use the Mutec MC3+USB (two actually in series) with the SOtM SMS200 ultra streamer feeding it (well there is a SOtM txUSB ultra in between but that doesn't effect the setting). I have a PC server that runs Roon + HQPlayer combo. I set the upsampling in HQPlayer to DSD256 now but earlier I also used 192kHz/24 bit. They sound somewhat different, even after 4 years, I'm not sure which sounds better. Anyhow, so now, the SOtM HQPlayer NAA receives DSD256 and passes it straight to the Mutec which converts in to 192kHz. I know it makes little sense to upconvert to DSD when it is converted back but a lot of experts say that this way the signal transfer is less susceptible to noise. I set nothing on the Mutec, the incoming signal is USB (3 lights on), the clocking is external + reclocking as I also have the Ref 10. My second Mutec is connected by AES/EBU and already sees 192kHz and doesn't alter it, just reclocks again. AES/EBU to the Devialet which also sees 192kHz. The DSD stream from the server is SDM, so not DoP as Mutec can handle it. I have not been able to figure out the sampling rate conversion options that the Mutec can apparently do (despite reading the manual carefully) so on the right, all those green lights are in the top raw.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I have been doing so I am glad it seems compatible with your approach.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
Another very interesting set of measurements from GoldenSound, see link below.

https://goldensound.audio/2021/10/05/mut...surements/

In summary, noise levels are very low indeed, which is good. Jitter via the BNC output is not so good. Jitter via AES/EBU output is much better, but falls some way short of other DDC's available now.

I thought the very decent noise level measurements were interesting, particularly as the Mutec uses a switch mode power supply. I know that a few owners have performed modifications to use a linear power supply, but looking at the measurements I would say that this is perhaps not too much to worry about.

Jitter performance via AES/EBU is reasonable, but it would appear that the Mutec is beaten in this regard by other DCC's, and indeed by the humble Pi2AES. I am not that surprised by this. I think that products of this type are in a very rapidly developing area of technology, and in these terms at least it is now a relatively old design, I recall that I first became aware of the device in early 2015, and even then it was based on the previous MC3+. So an almost seven year old product now, which typically for devices of this type would place it near the end of it's product cycle. During this time, audio clock performance has been steadily moving on. This could go some way towards explaining my own subjective observations. I found that the MC3+USB provided a very nice uplift in sound quality with my previous D800 Expert. With the Pro, I found using the MC3+USB sounded pretty much equivalent to AIR.

Although reading the GoldenSound article, it also looks like the Mutec's performance is held back a little by the some aspects of it's design, in terms of the very flexible functionality offered. The Mutec does have it's roots in the world of Pro audio, which in some regards may give it a disadvantage in comparison to some devices such as the Singxer which are focused purely on domestic audio.

Some interesting words about clock stacking too. It appears that this does not work, or at least this is what the measurements seem to be suggesting. Some rather negative comments regarding build quality too, which surprised me a little.

All of this also makes me wonder how the MC3+USB performs with an external clock, and indeed if a more domestic audio based DCC would perform better with something like the Mutec REF10, but that is another story entirely.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Measurements are important but not always a good indicator how things sound and whether or not there is an improvement with better measurements. I have had one Mutec MC+3 UBS when a friend, who had two brought them over. At the time, all were running on their own SMPS and I neither had the REF 10 yet. We tried one/two/three in stacked. The first fed from SOtM SMS-200 ultra. Then connected to each other by AES/EBU, the clocks were not chained. The second unit gave a very clearly audible advantage, I'd say another 50-70%. The third one another 20-30%. This was repeatable and also worked the other way round as we started removing the units one by one. I ended up buying a second one. We both agreed that another 1000 euros (+ a few hundred on a good AES/EBU cable) would be too much on a third unit.

When I asked Christian Peters, the head engineer at Mutec, in Munich 3 years ago, why this is happening, he said, he had no idea, but about a dozen people came to him at the show asking the same who have two or more units. I have a degree in physics and would like to understand why something is happening but sometimes we can't measure what we hear and we don't/can't hear what we measure.

Eventually, I "gutted" both unit, removed the SMPS and they run on LPS. As I did one by one, I had a chance to compare as I had one before and one after the operation. It does improve a sound on a highly resolving system as the Devialet and a pair of decent speakers. Not by a lot, but audible. At this level, we have to be grateful for every small improvement, especially considering that you can by a decent LSP for a few hundred euros that can supply two or even more units.

I would like to hear some other D/D converters in comparison, not just seeing the test results. To be honest, value for money, I think the Mutec MC3+USB is standing out in my system still. I wish it could reclock DSD. Also, I'm wondering what MUTEC is upto (if anything) as the only product they came out with in the last 5 years or so is an upgraded clock. Even 4 years ago in Munich they said they were planning to come out with a DAC by the end of the year - and that was in May, so they must have started designing it. Still nothing.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
@zdenes I agree with you on measurements vs listening. I am sure the devices Goldensound compares with are exellent, but he sort of falls into the same trap as Amir over at ASR. Lots of measurements and all conclusions drawn from that. As @Confused  says. the MC-3 +USB is now an old design and should probably be updated to keep up with the others when it comes to measured performance and IO, but the current model does sound very good.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
@zdenes interesting findings on the daisy chaining. Can totally believe that it sounds different or better. I have 2-3 different USB gadgets and some things change the sound when you don't expect them to.

I suspect the differences in sound may be caused by changes in conducted noise between devices, or changing the ground noise or ground loop path between devices.

I kind of wish there were proper optical connections that would prevent these potential inter-component noise or ground loop problems.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
How about Toslink between two MC-3 units to break signal ground? JA at Stereophile often show measurements from optical connections. In theory Toslink has high jitter, but in practice I think good devices have low jitter on Toslink too.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(09-Oct-2021, 07:19)Confused Wrote: https://goldensound.audio/2021/10/05/mut...surements/

Thanks for this! He also added measurements for the Denafrips Gaia and Audio-Gd DI-20HE, both of which I was interested in as potential upgrades from my Singxer SU-6.

Denafrips Gaia Measurements (With Terminator Clock-Sync Test) - GoldenSound
Audio-GD DI-20HE DDC Measurements - Wow.... - GoldenSound
Singxer SU-6 DDC / USB Audio Bridge Measurements - GoldenSound

Suffice to say, my curiosity has been satiated and I'm happy to stick with the Singxer SU-6 for now. Still tweaking the USB chain and linear power supplies though.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
(09-Oct-2021, 07:19)Confused Wrote: All of this also makes me wonder how the MC3+USB performs with an external clock, and indeed if a more domestic audio based DCC would perform better with something like the Mutec REF10, but that is another story entirely.

I did some casual comparisons of the Mutec alone vs the Mutec with the cybershaft OP21a-D and there is a clear difference. The clocked version is a bit more of everything.

Note that I am using a special version of the Mutec that was provided to me without power supply. I am driving the Mutec with a Paul Hynes SR7T LPS. That may also explain the amazing results I am getting, but I was not able to do a comparison since I cannot use the Mutec without it.