Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Phantom in DAR
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/0...om-part-1/

David
I hope that's just a teaser for the real review (Part 2). Otherwise all we're told is that the Phantom is the best "lifestyle" wireless speaker, one speaker isn't as good as two, Spark is a fiddly and sub-par app, and Devialet has been doing themselves a disservice with the way they've promoted the Phantom (bad sound at shows and single speakers to reviewers). I was glad to read someone publishing the fact that Phantom need to be on real stands and positioned out in the room like other speakers in order to sound good.

I look forward to the review Part 2 comparison of Phantom/Dialog vs. Expert/KEF LS50. John Darko has wanted an active LS50 for a while now, so maybe the Phantom will be just his thing. That comparison will certainly add to the debate about whether the Phantom tweeter/midrange is up to the standard of another good concentric driver (KEF's). Now if only he was going to compare the Phantom to a D400+/KEF Blade setup that would be a fun comparison.
From the thread title I tough that you came upon a Phantom at Julius Nyerere International Airport in Dar es Salaam...
Haha, the next review comparing a pair of Silvers with Le200/KEF LS50 will be an interesting read for me.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

In the article it says Spark still can't play gapless?

I'm assuming that's an error? If not, the problems in the software division at Devialet are more serious than I thought….

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

'Tis true. The way that Spark loads each WHOLE song one-at-a-time into each Phantom to play doesn't lend itself easily to gapless playback. They would need to evolve the mechanism to start loading the NEXT song whilst coming to the end of the current, in order to blend them together seamlessly.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
(02-Feb-2016, 14:01)JohnnySix Wrote: 'Tis true. The way that Spark loads each WHOLE song one-at-a-time into each Phantom to play doesn't lend itself easily to gapless playback. They would need to evolve the mechanism to start loading the NEXT song whilst coming to the end of the current, in order to blend them together seamlessly.

Let's hope a few NASA projects are coming to an end and Devialet can hire some of their top guys to look at this - its the only way such an enormous and technically challenging problem will ever be solved….. Wink Wink Wink Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I think that the technical problem is that Devialet can't find an applicable three letter acronym for gapless playback, and without the acronym it just sounds like a feature that everyone else has had since the player piano.
And part two:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/0...om-part-2/
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
So, should I change mine to a pair of Silvers? Darn this review in getting me to start exploring this option again.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier